Cruise Final Boarding

thepla

On 2/3/2022 at 12:24 PM, chengkp75 said:

The ship's WIFI, which only connects you wirelessly to the server on the ship, will work, but it will not connect you to the internet, since this is done via satellite, and  this is switched off for passengers in port.  Yes, any WIFI signal you receive while on the ship, in port, will work just like you sitting in a park and picking up a Starbucks signal.  Or, use your phone as a WIFI hotspot, if you have unlimited data on your phone plan.

46 minutes ago, thepla said:

I'll hopefully have a few to see if there is a spot on deck and test in room. I wonder if their WiFi is active prior to sailing? I've had mixed results on other lines 

Chengkp75 is the expert.  He isn't guessing or assuming.  You can bank on his information.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Chengkp75 is the expert.  He isn't guessing or assuming.  You can bank on his information.

Every cruise I've taken I pay for Wifi. It works relatively well to get to internet at sea, even wifi calling. I would feel confident Wifi purchased will work for my needs if it is actve at port. Now I do not know how good Wifi is for Carnival but other three would have been OK for his needs.

49 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I am not disputing anyone, promise. But I could see where an inside could be an issue but Oceanview seem to be similar to me being at home and cell working. Of course windows on a ship are nothing like a window at home.

1 hour ago, thepla said:

Every cruise I've taken I pay for Wifi. It works relatively well to get to internet at sea, even wifi calling. I would feel confident Wifi purchased will work for my needs if it is actve at port. Now I do not know how good Wifi is for Carnival but other three would have been OK for his needs.

We have been in three cruises since restart (Mardi Gras, Panorama and Vista) and was not able to use WIFI calling on any of them.  I thought I had in the past but it wasn’t working recently. 

8 hours ago, thepla said:

I'll hopefully have a few to see if there is a spot on deck and test in room. I wonder if their WiFi is active prior to sailing? I've had mixed results on other lines 

Sailed from Long Beach in an ocean view MANY times. The cell reception is fine. He’ll be good to go in your stateroom. That is if you are planning to use your cell service as a hot spot. I never get the WiFi packages. 

Edited by momof3cruisers

7 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

We have been in three cruises since restart (Mardi Gras, Panorama and Vista) and was not able to use WIFI calling on any of them.  I thought I had in the past but it wasn’t working recently. 

Thanks, I will not get WiFI package, I only get package for WiFi calling to home. This is very short trip and one is Mexico where my calling is free with T-mobile.

I think I'll do a test in room. Have someoone at home do a zoom with my son and see if it works in stateroom. He will be weariing his headset and that blocks out all noise to him and other side.

If that fails, with zoom, we'll go upstairs and find a place to sit where camera is facing some wall and noone can go in back of him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sprint180 said:

When is your cruise?  I just can't wait to see what you made work.

We leave 18, fits in great for president day. His school gives off Friday for teachers something and Monday is a holiday 

On 2/5/2022 at 2:55 AM, thepla said:

Thanks, I will not get WiFI package, I only get package for WiFi calling to home. This is very short trip and one is Mexico where my calling is free with T-mobile.

Only get the 1 day pass perhaps.   Also doing it in the Library is a great place. Not many people go to the library on Embarkation Day. You may also be able to get a WIFI signal from the Port with a WIFI Extender antenna.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travelplus said:

Only get the 1 day pass perhaps.   Also doing it in the Library is a great place. Not many people go to the library on Embarkation Day. You may also be able to get a WIFI signal from the Port with a WIFI Extender antenna.

Is ships WiFi active prior to leaving?

• 2 weeks later...

We've been on ship since 12:45. We were here at 11:50, they opened up first pass at noon for our group. Went to BBQ place and they announced room ready. We're inside and tethering works well. Now stupid snow in Chicago was a headache. We were triple booked with united, one lax and one sna, and one AA to lax. Only one to actually fly was united and it arrived about midnight to lax.

Btw taxi was half price of Uber. Just in case anyone needs to know.

• Like 2

Just now, thepla said:

We've been on ship since 12:45. We were here at 11:50, they opened up first pass at noon for our group. Went to BBQ place and they announced room ready. We're inside and tethering works well. Now stupid snow in Chicago was a headache. We were triple booked with united, one lax and one sna, and one AA to lax. Only one to actually fly was united and it arrived about midnight to lax.

Good luck to your kiddo on his exam and have a great cruise! I'm so glad everything worked out!

8 minutes ago, thepla said:

GLAD IT ALL WORKED OUT!  But...was he able to log on and do his school work without problem?

Thanks everyone. He did login test they have as soon as we got into room. Zoom was fine. Once he started he asked me to leave. I'm just sitting outside. They don't want him to have other people in room for assessment. Doubt they've ever had some one do assessment from a cruise ship.

Now back to trip. Seems pretty full but no biggie. All walk up eateries are wide open. It seems everyone likes buffet. So much food here we may never make it to buffet😀 bars seem a tad busy, I probably waited three or so minutes for my soda. 

• Like 2