Packing for an Alaska cruise

letsgocruising58

On 2/10/2022 at 12:59 PM, Blondilu said:

LOL, no I haven't.  I probably should have said the coldest day in MY entire life.  

In Alaska I was never really cold.  Wet for sure.  On glacier day I felt like one of those pieces of ice floating around in the water.  Very, very cold. 

On a zodiac in a fjord in Norway our “captain” informed us of an old Norse saying. “You can never get so wet that you won’t dry out.”

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What to pack for an Alaskan cruise has been a topic of debate for decades. There are plenty of posts on it.

What I notice in the answers is that those who are used to cold and snow just pack for 10C to 30C (50F to 85 F) weather, with light sweaters, raincoat, etc., but people from the US South tend to pack long underwear, parkas, boots, etc.

It comes down to being comfortable in Alaskan summer weather.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 8:21 AM, capriccio said:

@Flatbush Flyer Not all people want to buy what may be a totally new wardrobe that may get little future use for just a few day cruise.

The silicone spray has worked for us on 3 Alaska cruises, 1 round South America and 1 Norway cruise at very low cost and no need to add to our existing wardrobe.  But the most active movement was walking (up to 5 miles a day) so maybe that doesn't qualify as 'active'.  As far as outerwear, I've had a Gore-tex jacket that I did buy for our first Alaska cruise in 2007 because I needed a jacket that has been great.

@letsgocruising58Throw in a few short sleeve shirts and lightweight pants/shorts. After telling our kids, their spouses, and our granddaughter to bring layers for our July 2018 cruise (our third to Alaska; their first) it was short sleeve and shorts/lightweight pants weather.  The granddaughter and her dad went swimming everyday.  They did grumble about their stuffed suitcases but agreed that the weather was perfect.

Have a wonderful time.  Alaska is wonderful regardless of the weather and the first time trip is magical!

I am reading this thread because we are planning a cruise to Norway for this June. Do you have any suggestions for us? We do ok packing for variable weather on an active excursion, but what about on-board ship? We'd like to pack VERY light because of all the transfers in England. 

56 minutes ago, let's go cruising said:

I am reading this thread because we are planning a cruise to Norway for this June. Do you have any suggestions for us? We do ok packing for variable weather on an active excursion, but what about on-board ship? We'd like to pack VERY light because of all the transfers in England. 

We did the Land of the Midnight Sun Princess cruise the last half of June 2019. We were cruising north of the Arctic Circle (we had 3 ports north of the Arctic Circle) and packed similarly to an Alaska cruise.  We definitely needed a couple of layers, hat and gloves at North Cape where the wind can be very strong.  On the other hand, the southern ports (Bergen, etc.) were quite temperate.  Obviously outdoors on board may also require layers if you intend to spend time viewing the scenery sailing in and out of the fjords.

When we first visited Alaska, I was concerned what was meant by layers.

We cruised in August..wore a swimsuit twice..once on embarkation day (Seattle)

Took a fleece jacket and a Kagool to layer over it..only used for helicopter excursion to Mendenhall glacier. Should have taken fleece gloves and hat for this.

Took leather trainers sprayed with waterproofing spray..although waterproof over boots supplied for Princess’ glacier trip.

Rest of time wore light weight long/cropped trousers with long sleeved T shirts.

Maybe we were fortunate.