Food Advice for an Idiot

Eggtuary

19 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

One huge disappointment for me on the Northern Lights cruise we just finished:  I have loved the curries in the World Cafe on our previous cruises. I was excited to see the fish curry last week and joyfully said so to the server who was from India. He apologized and said it might be different from what I’d had before because they had been told that passengers had complained about spicy food. I took some and he was correct.  It was so bland and I was so sad. They shouldn’t label it as fish curry - it was a bland fish stew. There is plenty of non-spicy food in the World Cafe. Please, Viking, bring back spicy curry. I hope Viking is not heading toward nursing home food. 

Oh No!  The spicy curries were SO good!   Too many people these days have been conditioned to liking just bland food.  We are the opposite - love that kick!   I will make sure on our upcoming trip to inquire as to if things are spicy or not.  

34 minutes ago, Ceegeefl said:

What are some other favorites  on the room service menu? 

For us - it was the Reuben Sandwich.  Unbelievable!

Wish I had thought to take a picture of it like Clay does.  Next time I will try to photograph the food!!

For breakfast we learned NOT to order any kind of toasted bread.  Instead we get several slices of the baguette bread.  Anything toasted doesn't work by the time they get it to your room.  The Omelettes were our standby for Room Service Breakfast! 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

They shouldn’t label it as fish curry - it was a bland fish stew. There is plenty of non-spicy food in the World Cafe. Please, Viking, bring back spicy curry. I hope Viking is not heading toward nursing home food. 

I'm still traumatised from the time I witnessed a bloke insisting on having tartare sauce to go on his helping of fish curry (nice but a mild type) 

Edited by KBs mum

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just an FYI, there are some dishes on the room service menu that aren’t available elsewhere. The pear and prosciutto salad is incredible for example.  

And another FYI, in our experience at least - (pre-Covid) - you weren't actually limited just to what was on the room service menu.  A few times, we ordered items that were available on the regular Restaurant menu for that evening but not on the room service menu, and no one batted an eye.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Absolutely, Andy!

IPA's are my favorite and have been since my days living in Seattle.  Maybe someday we'll get the chance to quaff a few together!

Kent - looking forward to it. Unfortunately, we don't have any RV trips planned down to California at present, since I'm still waiting for my new truck. Judi's Escape just can't tow 16,500 lbs☹️

For the World Cruise, we still haven't decided if we will arrive a day early.

In addition to the WC, we have booked the TA from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale on Neptune and then the UK/Scandinavia, also on Neptune after the WC.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m back from my two weeks in Europe. Thanks to the advice in this thread, I felt like I ate like a king on vacation … and yet I lost a pound!  This outcoome helps me tremendously as I start back to the “real world” this week, knowing that I haven’t put myself further behind on my weight target. 

Thanks again!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

I’m back from my two weeks in Europe. Thanks to the advice in this thread, I felt like I ate like a king on vacation … and yet I lost a pound!  This outcoome helps me tremendously as I start back to the “real world” this week, knowing that I haven’t put myself further behind on my weight target. 

Thanks again!

You are ready for the Kentucky Derby!

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2022 at 2:53 PM, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

We found Viking to be the best line for healthy food and watching your weight.  My husband typically will lose a pound or two.  As others have said we found the WC to be really great.  Their seafood choices make it easy to eat healthy, yet enjoy a lovely meal.  I love the different assortment of side dishes, and being able to take just a bit of them, not dealing with large portions.  

However one word of caution....do not order eggs benedict.  I would have lost weight also if it hadn't been for those.  I heard another passenger state that as well. They are dangerous, don't get started.  

This is really funny….I just LOVE eggs Benedict….I could eat them three meals a day…