Viking Homelands 2022 Season

NeilP57

There is 16 scheduled sailing during 2022 on this classic Viking itinerary, which takes in 8 different countries, excluding any transit stops on the way. 

i thought I would try and create a thread that could capture all the advice from the many who have sailed this itinerary in the  past in “normal” times but also would work well for those of us who are travelling on it 2022 to share their thoughts and experiences, before, during and after their trip. 

The 16 individual roll calls would still be the place to share date specific comments etc but hopefully if we could capture all the good advice that is available in one place that saves the need to trawl through 16 roll calls to find an answer. 

This worked really well last year on our 2021 Iceland trip with Viking, so hopefully this will work just as well. 

Happy posting! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Good idea! We are on one of the trips and I have a question about an excursion in Russia (if indeed the country actually allows people to travel there by then). The “Behind the Scenes at the Hermitage” all day trip. How intensive is that? A lot of standing around? Or exactly what? I have seen no reviews of that excursion. Huge thanks!

• Like 1

I love these kinds of threads; imho, they are Cruise Critic at its very best. I wish I could share more about the trip itself but we sailed before Viking Oceans was launched. So, this is my contribution to getting the ball rolling -- a bit of pot-stirring.

Some of the most helpful information that people can share is:

• information about the Viking shorex you took that will help people decide if the tour is right for them.
    • what challenges are there for the mobility impaired -- steps, uneven steps, rough terrain, not wheel chair accessible, etc.
    • how close was the tour to the description given by Viking
    • how long was the bus ride (although a visit to Google maps can most times provide this information)
    • if a meal was included, how was it (and how well did the vendor handle special dietary needs)
  • even though we don't know if it will be permitted, tips for those who want to strike out on their own
    • what not to miss
    • how to get around -- taxis, public transit, hop-on-hop-off buses
    • where to eat, where to shop, best "souvenirs"
  • special information about the various ports
    • such as: in St.P you must have a visa and if you get your visa through your tour provider you may not leave the group to wander off on your own
    • don't miss the sail in to Stockholm
    • etc., etc.
  • for those who are sailing in 2022, talk about pre-cruise things
    • how far in advance did shorex load into MVJ
    • how was the shorex booking process in general
    • booking private tours for St. P (but not requests for sharing a tour because CC rules say that is roll call business only)
    • navigating the ever shifting sands of the health and safety protocols

• Like 3

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

Rule #1 in regard to St. Petersburg is: Take a private tour.

I’ve been to St. Petersburg many times, (twice to “Leningrad”), so I don’t want a tour, but I am interested in behind the scenes at the Hermitage. Thanks for any info.

We are on this cruise in June 2022.  Our dilemma is whether to go on Viking excursions in Russia or go with a private tour operator.  For us (Canadian) we will have to get a Visa for Russia if we go private, but the Visa is not required if we stick to Viking excursions.

Any advice is appreciated as we have to apply for the Visa soon if we are going to do it.  

2 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

We are on this cruise in June 2022.  Our dilemma is whether to go on Viking excursions in Russia or go with a private tour operator.  For us (Canadian) we will have to get a Visa for Russia if we go private, but the Visa is not required if we stick to Viking excursions.

Any advice is appreciated as we have to apply for the Visa soon if we are going to do it.  

Same is true for US citizens.

Take a private tour in St. P!!  I have previously commented that had I not been to St. P for business previously, I would have been very disappointed.

Its not the Viking tours themselves - we had wonderfully informative and charming tour guides - the problem was that Viking uses the large coaches - which due to the horrid traffic conditions - simply had a very hard time navigating through the congestion.  

For example, we watched from the bus window as fellow passengers we recognized zipped into a parking lot next to St. Isaacs Cathedral whist we circled it for the third time trying to find a place to offload safely.  By the time we were able to disembark the bus, they were headed back to their van  with their tour guide and off to the next site.  

Likewise, we were scheduled for the Viking canal excursion in St/ P , and the coach could only get within a block of the departure dock (on the opposite side of the canal!)so we were forced to hustle up the street, cross the bridge and down the block to the waiting boat - which of course, because we were late, forced the excursion to to be shortened. 

Its unfortunate that Viking cannot use smaller vehicles, because the tour guides were quite good, it was just not a good experience overall due to the traffic.

Edited by knoxclone
spelling
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Alla Tours. Top-notch, professional, small, timely, inclusive, etc.

Absolutely agree.

I also agree with knoxclone that big bus tours are not the best option. We were twelve on our tour and even that was too many. If I could do it again, I would do six people or less.

• Like 1

Following as we are booked on the Viking Homelands cruise in late August. We had heard really good recommendations for Alla Tours in St P but this was pre-covid. Their small buses sound so much better than a huge Viking tour bus.

5 hours ago, Floater67 said:

Can you be a bit more explicit?

Read the responses here and elsewhere and you'll have your answer. Bottom line is that private tours are usually much more efficient by using smaller groups/vehicles and tend to have excellent and well educated guides as opposed to whatever Viking can scrape up. My research led me to choose Alla if our cruise ever happens - TJ was a very close second and is the choice for many others. You would do well to always compare local tours to what Viking offers. Viking middles the deals and mark-ups apply. A great example is the Pulpit Rock tour out of Stavanger ----- the Rodne tour is basically the same as what Viking offers for 2x (and a waffle). Viking uses the "We won't wait for you if your tour is late back to the ship" scare tactic as an incentive to choose their offering. Lots of info here for you to research in this overall regard.

• Like 1

Caution booking private tours during Covid and ensure if you are paying for these tours in advance that they are cancelable and/or refundable.  We don't know what will happen with Covid in the coming months and if bubble excursions are in place, you won't be able to attend your private tours.

Don't get me wrong, we are considering private tours too, but only if we can cancel and receive a refund.  I would hate to see people out in the cold twice - once because you cannot cancel your tour or get a refund, and twice because all the Viking excursions are full and you cannot leave the ship. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dottythecat said:

For those of you who have already booked Alla or TJ tours-- Is a credit card deposit required? How much? Is it refundable? Any other payments before the tour? I would much rather take a private tour.

We used Alla in 2017 for tours in Tallinn and then in St Petersburg. We paid nothing up front and they didn't want paid in Tallinn. Both tours were paid on the bus in St Petersburg. At that time we had zero risk, but their terms may have changed, so check the website.

We used Alla in 2014. The Grand tour was $300 back then. Not much change in the pricing after 8 years. Also added a very good Tallinn tour.

I remember paying at lunch the second day. Payment had to be by credit card or by crisp, clean, new $100 USD bills.

I too have concerns about the Ukraine invasion but at least there will be no excursion deposits lost.