Hotel Silversea uses in Reykjavik

forgap

@forgap We spent three days in Iceland before boarding a Silverseas cruise. I rented a car and found the driving easy and enjoyable.

I rented a car from Hertz at the airport, because I was able to return it to their location in Reykjavik — which included a van to drive you back to your hotel, if needed — so I'm sure you can do this in reverse after your cruise. If you can manage your luggage in a rental car, I definitely advise leaving Reykjavik so you can explore more of Iceland. If you stay in Reykjavik the entire time, you'll spend a fair amount of your time each day retracing the same roads along the west coast or south coast. 

Since we had only three days, we were limited in how much ground we could cover. Our arrival day, we drove the "golden circle" and after passing back through Reykjavik, did a very scenic drive north up the coast and then inland to spend a night, including a good dinner, at the nice Hotel Husafell. Husafell is in the middle of none where, but we went there so the next morning we could do the Into the Glacier experience. It's pricey, but was very worthwhile; truly a unique experience walking in tunnels carved deep into the Langjokull glacier. 

After the glacier, we drove west, out to near the tip of the Snæfellsjökull peninsula. We stayed at a simple but adequate hotel in Hellnar. The next day, with limited time, we drove along the coastal part of the Snæfellsjökull National Park and around to Kirkjufell, probably the most-photographed mountain in Iceland, on the north side of the peninsula. There's a nice short walk there up to and around a waterfall, making fro great pictures with the mountain in the background. After a long day, we completed our loop back to Reykjavik with a quick stop to see the lighthouse in Akrenes. As mentioned above, we stayed at the Hilton Canopy and enjoyed it.

It would have been great to have two extra days, as there is so much to see, and we had to edit what we could do, even with long summer days.  

• Like 3

On 2/13/2022 at 6:12 PM, RELS said:

Sure, if you want to schlep a 22-day cruise’s worth of luggage on and off a bus and then figure out how to get to your hotel from where the FlyBus drops you off.  Private transport is a lot more expensive. Like chrism23, we just didn’t want the hassle, especially after flying from the west coast USA. 

We’re cruising on Silversea. I couldn’t see nickle- and dime-ing the pre-stay when SS would take care of all the transportation, etc. 

I might feel different if it were after the cruise, but I want the few days before to go as smoothly as possible.

We are going to Istanbul in April on  a Seabourn Cruise.  ShangriLa Hotel thru SB is $950/night and is a 3 min walk to cruiseport.  We got it for $400/night and a $75private car from Istanbul airport.  Pays to shop aroundd.

• Like 2

Again, thank you for your replies.  After much back and forth with our friends, we decided to book an AirBnB in Reykeyvik and then book a hotel near the airport for our last night.  We will be 5 nights in Reykjavik.  We figured this would give us maximum flexibility to go East, west, north, and south.  It also allows one or more of us to stay behind if the mood strikes or just not feeling up to it or if sick of the company!  

We booked a two bedroom near parlement square near many sights and restaurants.  It also includes a parking space underneath the building.  I think this will work nicely.  It looks like our longest drive will be to Vik and the surrounding area.   

We are now in serious planning mode, looking at maps and itineraries and seeing what clothing options we need for touring Norway and Iceland.  Keep the suggestions coming!  This group is wonderfully helpful!  

• Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 4:01 AM, chrism23 said:

SS does not have the "Simply Hotel' selection up on their web sit yet.  BTW, it has been totally redesigned.  

The Hotel Borg has been redesigned? Or the SS Simply Hotel section of the website?

My TA called about the hotel for our Simply stay at the end of May, and was told that the hotel info would be available about 60 days before the cruise, and that there are new hotels than previous due to Covid, and that we should expect a 4 or 4-1/2 star hotel.

If it is Hotel Borg, the rate (Superior King plus breakfast) for two nights is just about what we're paying SS for the Simply Hotel 2 nights, which includes transportation to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier.  Standard room plus breakfast is a bit less, but when you add in the transportation, it still about breaks even.

On 2/13/2022 at 4:30 PM, Catlover54 said:

Alcohol is VERY expensive, (like double what you expect in U.S.), so it might be worth preparing by stocking up in the duty free if you can.

Thanks for this info. I will have to get my Icelandic friend's booze preference, so I can bring her a bottle or two.

• 6 months later...

Last month Silversea booked us at Hilton Nordica. If you get a good room, it is a great hotel. But there some tiny rooms that are very disappointing. Breakfast is very good. Restaurant is very good as well.

After the cruise we stayed some nights at Edition that we booked directly. Pastries at Tides Café were the best I ever had. But the restaurant is pretentious. The Spa is fabulous. There is hot tub, steam, and sauna. I didn’t like the room. TV is on the bed side, not in front of it. There is a chair and a stool. Not comfortable. The room that I got was totally exposed to the other building nearby. Curtains must be closed all the time. Location is everything in this hotel. In front of the port for small cruises (walking distance) and very close to several main attraction.

We recently spent 3 nights at the Reykjavik Konsolat Hilton in the older part of the city.   The famous hotdog stand is next door.   There were many nice restaurants within walking distance, and the included breakfast at the hotel was very good.    The room and bath were both excellent, and the staff was very pleasant and helpful.   We would highly recommend it for both location and pleasant accommodations.

4 hours ago, brumagin1 said:

We recently spent 3 nights at the Reykjavik Konsolat Hilton in the older part of the city.   The famous hotdog stand is next door.   There were many nice restaurants within walking distance, and the included breakfast at the hotel was very good.    The room and bath were both excellent, and the staff was very pleasant and helpful.   We would highly recommend it for both location and pleasant accommodations.

Agree.  The location can't be beat.  And the staff are so friendly:  we arrived in the morning so our room wasn't ready - so they invited to have a late breakfast (in addition to the one the next morning that was included in the room rate).

• Like 1