Does carnival still swipe cards for cheers/bubbles? Or is there NFC/gpay/apple pay-like touch options now?

SchmiggyJK

So it's been a few years since we have been out with all the cancelations and covid. I'm curious if carnival is still swiping cards or if they maybe moved to near field communications for their cards (tap/hold on the device)? Just debating on the best holder for my sign and sail card.

Mardi Gras has soda dispensers that guests access with their card. One posted to be careful to swipe correctly the first time, double hit and you have to wait (5?) minutes. Some ships have pour your own beer/wine dispensers, too.

54 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I have been on the Sunshine for 2 weeks now and they don't swipe. They type in your portfolio number after reading it off your sign and sail. 

Oh that is SO interesting!  I haven’t heard anyone else say this. I know there was some talk when they first restarted about multiple people handling your card, a good way to pass germs. This is a nice change, in my opinion. Hope it stays until I am on Sunshine in June!

As said above, most waiters know your Folio number after Day 1.  One that hasn't waited on you before will just ask to see you card and take the number down.  

I'm not positive but I think the ship's store will still swipe your card.  That's the way it's always been done in the past.

17 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

The bartenders always know our folio number after day 1...not sure what that says about us...lol

We are on same cruise...plan to hit up all the bars (Alchemy is a fave) to get our "money's worth" out of cheers package LOL

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mondello said:

Mardi Gras has soda dispensers that guests access with their card. One posted to be careful to swipe correctly the first time, double hit and you have to wait (5?) minutes. Some ships have pour your own beer/wine dispensers, too.

That was probably me.  You don't swipe the card there, it's a tap, but you have to be careful so it registers only one tap.

20 hours ago, momin05 said:

Oh that is SO interesting!  I haven’t heard anyone else say this. I know there was some talk when they first restarted about multiple people handling your card, a good way to pass germs. This is a nice change, in my opinion. Hope it stays until I am on Sunshine in June!

I wouldn't worry too much, about COVID anyway.  CDC has confirmed the odds of contracting COVID through surface contact are only 1 in 10,000.  

23 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I have been on the Sunshine for 2 weeks now and they don't swipe. They type in your portfolio number after reading it off your sign and sail. 

Seems to me that method would result in more erroneous charges than swiping since they might type the folio number incorrectly.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:45 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

Seems to me that method would result in more erroneous charges than swiping since they might type the folio number incorrectly.

When they type in your number your picture pops up on the screen. So I doubt there are that many errors. 

• Like 1