Recent Carnival Sunshine Cruisers Parking Question

Raymok

GM...This will be our first cruise out of the Port of Charleston and I'm wondering what time the parking lot has opened recently? I understand they will not open up the parking lot gates until all the cruisers from the previous cruise have departed the ship.  TIA

We cruise from Charleston often (pre covid and are booked again)  since we live 3.5. hrs from port and it is easy for us.  Yes, what you state was true in the past and from what I have been reading it is still the case for parking. 

It is a smaller port and there will be a line of cars waiting for the gates to open once the previous cruise empties out (maybe around 10 to 10.30ish).   Its a little different setup for parking than a lot of the other terminals. 

If you haven't cruised the Sunshine you will love her, have fun!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisindaworld said:

Where is the parking lot, Union Pier Terminal Gate 2?  Just want to be sure I plug in the right address. 

It's on the Cruise Terminal's website, it's right at the corner of Concord St. and Laurens St. We come in down Bay Street off of I-26, turn left onto Calhoun, right onto Concord, and the entrance is one block straight ahead.

Also in the past the parking lot would open at around 9AM for folks to drop off luggage, but nobody could actually start parking until people from the last cruise had all left which is usually right around 10AM. The terminal isn't big enough for them to do it any other way.

Edited by mz-s

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

It's on the Cruise Terminal's website, it's right at the corner of Concord St. and Laurens St. We come in down Bay Street off of I-26, turn left onto Calhoun, right onto Concord, and the entrance is one block straight ahead.

Also in the past the parking lot would open at around 9AM for folks to drop off luggage, but nobody could actually start parking until people from the last cruise had all left which is usually right around 10AM. The terminal isn't big enough for them to do it any other way.

I sure do hope that's changed b/c we've got a 10am check-in. That'd make us late. Lol one positive of it is my Sweet Hubs couldn't say it was b/c of me that we're late checking in, THIS Time anyway😂

7 minutes ago, CruisinTrkrs3 said:

I sure do hope that's changed b/c we've got a 10am check-in. That'd make us late. Lol one positive of it is my Sweet Hubs couldn't say it was b/c of me that we're late checking in, THIS Time anyway😂

10-10:30 is your arrival time, not check-in time. They've definitely improved wait times in Charleston in recent years, but I'd still be sure to pack some patience. The Sunshine holds at least 1000 more people than their facility was designed to accommodate.

4 minutes ago, mz-s said:

10-10:30 is your arrival time, not check-in time. They've definitely improved wait times in Charleston in recent years, but I'd still be sure to pack some patience. The Sunshine holds at least 1000 more people than their facility was designed to accommodate.

Yes an expansion is sorely needed. Lol I've been saying that since our lovely Ecstasy was there! We love the Sunshine too and B.C sailed on her around 4-5x a year. And Ecstasy still while she's been in Jax & Daughter#2 & sil live there. Otherwise mostly Breeze, Hubs Fav. 

On 2/13/2022 at 7:29 PM, mz-s said:

Is the luggage drop off area clearly marked?

4 hours ago, Raymok said:

Is the luggage drop off area clearly marked?

The luggage drop-off used to be right out front of the terminal itself, not the parking area (so more so the corner of Concord St and Market St). I am not sure if it's changed. There should be signage telling you where to go.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/13/2022 at 1:09 PM, cruisindaworld said:

Where is the parking lot, Union Pier Terminal Gate 2?  Just want to be sure I plug in the right address. 

Port of Charleston
Union Pier Terminal
32 Washington Street

Edited by Dthomas1

On 2/13/2022 at 1:09 PM, cruisindaworld said:

If you are there before 10am, you will see a line up of cars waiting to get into the lot to park.  We asked a number of people (police, parking) and no one said get into the line that forms around the parking lot.  Hope that helps!