Grab bars in showers

johnritt

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are booked on the Silhouette for a trans Atlantic cruise from England to Miami this October.

I use a cane for mobility and am having some questions about the Silhouette's showers.  I need a grab rail in a shower but don't need anything special anywhere else.  As near as I can tell, balcony cabins have a sort of vertical grab bar but inside cabins do not. Is this right? I can book an ADA inside cabin but no balcony ADA cabins are available and I really only need something to grab onto in the shower.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

As an alternative that could help on any cabin class...

Would you be able to work with a freestanding (not wall-attached) shower seat?  If so, would be worth checking with the special needs group at X to see if they can supply one for your cruise.

DH has mobility issues as well. He has been able to use that vertical section of the shower to hold onto. Also note that there is about a 5" step up into the bathroom. If that is an issue an accessible cabin might be best. As a side note, we usually rent a scooter to help DH get around the ship and visit port shops etc. Now we have been able to get it into the cabin...but it helps to have a cabin with the bed by the balcony.. this way there is still a bit of room to get around it. Not the easiest thing but it works for us. We try not to use accessible cabins..since he can still step up into the bathroom

To my knowledge there are no grab bars in showers except the Accessible Rooms.

My mother use to use a portable Suction Grab Bar.    It really held well and had to push the release buttons to get it to release the suction.   You might pick one up and try it at home and see if it would work for you.    They come in various sizes and easy to pack.

image.thumb.png.c67547b92fd3f78011e12d6bb7e3a3e6.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the information.

I called Celebrity and found out that I ca reserve a shower chair for whatever class of cabin  I book, which solves my problem.

Now I have to decide whether a balcony cabin is worth it when crossing the Atlantic in October.  The inside cabin is soooo cheap ($3,100 v. $4,500).  I'll keep reading, I guess.

$

7 minutes ago, johnritt said:

I called Celebrity and found out that I ca reserve a shower chair for whatever class of cabin  I book, which solves my problem.

Now I have to decide whether a balcony cabin is worth it when crossing the Atlantic in October.  The inside cabin is soooo cheap ($3,100 v. $4,500).  I'll keep reading, I guess.

$

If you are indifferent... consider an ocean view.... which would be a porthole or larger window. On a transatlantic cruise..you might look for a cabin low down and near midship... for minimal movement...should seas get rough. Those are likely one of the lesser costing cabins as well.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

To my knowledge there are no grab bars in showers except the Accessible Rooms.

My mother use to use a portable Suction Grab Bar.    It really held well and had to push the release buttons to get it to release the suction.   You might pick one up and try it at home and see if it would work for you.    They come in various sizes and easy to pack.

image.thumb.png.c67547b92fd3f78011e12d6bb7e3a3e6.png

Check the size of the tiles, (if the shower walls are tiled), the grab bar will not adhere to a shower wall with small tiles.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, johnritt said:

$

whenever you have a lot of sea days it is always best to be able to look out.  Makes for a nicer trip and ocean view is fine and less money.

I keep waffling.  This will be our really big trip (first in quite a while) and I keep thinking that we could fit in a balcony ABC cruise next year, too if we cheap out the trans Atlantic cruise, and skip looking at waves for 10 or 11 days while in the middle of the Atlantic. All in all, it's not a bad problem to have.

4 hours ago, Pickels said:

Check the size of the tiles, (if the shower walls are tiled), the grab bar will not adhere to a shower wall with small tiles.  

Some of these type of portable grab bars don't work on fiberglass either. FYI