How many people are on your sailing?

Crazy planning mom

10 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I honestly have not seen this in writing, where are you seeing the 100% capacity statement?

Del Rio stated so months ago. I posted his exact quote here with a link to the interview. I can try to dig for it if you really want or maybe just search for an interview he did back in the fall.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

These numbers are terrifying from a financial standpoint. If you love NCL you want to see these numbers doubled in the VERY  near future.

I suppose so, yes - hopefully right after my May sailing.  😁

I don't expect it will stay like this for long, but it would be nice to do one sailing on a relative ghost ship.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently sailing on the Joy and have heard that the ship currently has about 1300 passengers - slighty down from their cruise just last week and fewer passengers than crew.  Truly a great cruising experience.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

NCL is already sailing at 100% occupancy (minus the cabins they are reserving for quarantine). The lack of passengers has nothing to do with NCL policy. The low occupancy is because customers are not choosing to sail. 

These numbers are terrifying from a financial standpoint. If you love NCL you want to see these numbers doubled in the VERY  near future.

Nope. Not looking forward to the numbers doubling at all. Loved sailing with fewer passengers. I know that will change soon with the masks protocol changing, spring break coming up, and people getting spring fever and willing to escape their homes.  I'm still hoping to get one more NCL cruise in while it's still peaceful and not jammed on ships. I dont look forward to long lines and waiting,  people cramming into elevators, lots of kids running around everywhere, and the list goes on and on. I've enjoyed this lower passenger count experience. 😁 How in the world did I put up with jammed ships in the past, lol. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dalmoradie said:

I just spoke with my PCC and was told that on my March 27-April 3 cruise on the Bliss, they are only booking from 60% to 75% capacity

Woo, up to 75% is a lot. Hahaha. I'm spoiled by recent  sailings. 

2 hours ago, blueslily said:

Nope. Not looking forward to the numbers doubling at all. Loved sailing with fewer passengers. I know that will change soon with the masks protocol changing, spring break coming up, and people getting spring fever and willing to escape their homes.  I'm still hoping to get one more NCL cruise in while it's still peaceful and not jammed on ships. I dont look forward to long lines and waiting,  people cramming into elevators, lots of kids running around everywhere, and the list goes on and on. I've enjoyed this lower passenger count experience. 😁 How in the world did I put up with jammed ships in the past, lol. 

I can understand from the very ego-centered perspective of a general consumer why people enjoy sailing with low occupancy. But this simply can’t last- keep in mind those B’s represent billions. From a wholistic perspective this is very very sad……..

94BDF44C-E85A-4348-BBBD-57C364A076AE.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I can understand from the very ego-centered perspective of a general consumer why people enjoy sailing with low occupancy. But this simply can’t last …..

94BDF44C-E85A-4348-BBBD-57C364A076AE.jpeg

When I am cruising, my focus is on having a nice vacation. 

Yes, I know it can't last forever. I think I stated something about that in my posts on here. 

Have a great night! 😁

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, blueslily said:

When I am cruising, my focus is on having a nice vacation. 

Yes, I know it can't last forever. I think I stated something about that in my posts on here. 

Have a great night! 😁

I hope my post didn’t come across as judgmental. From a cruiser perspective the low occupancy is welcome- I totally get it! 

from a business perspective I read these low numbers and want to cry for an industry I love. 

aloha 🙂

• Like 3

"I don't expect it will stay like this for long, but it would be nice to do one sailing on a relative ghost ship."

Oh, it's very nice. I highly recommend it.  LOL  

Seriously, I don't know what the capacity of the Bliss was last week, but it was not full for sure. No seating issues whatsoever, anywhere. I'd say less than half capacity. Plenty of room. 

• Like 2

I am leaving on the Breakaway March 13. Out of curiosity and boredom, I checked the NCL website to see how many cabins were available. Of the 2000 or so staterooms, 500 were still available to be booked.  So right now we are looking at roughly 75% full at most. This is kind of surprising since that week is spring break for several school systems. Of course, there is no way to know if the 1500 other rooms are booked or just unavailable to be booked. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, odis said:

I am leaving on the Breakaway March 13. Out of curiosity and boredom, I checked the NCL website to see how many cabins were available. Of the 2000 or so staterooms, 500 were still available to be booked.  So right now we are looking at roughly 75% full at most. This is kind of surprising since that week is spring break for several school systems. Of course, there is no way to know if the 1500 other rooms are booked or just unavailable to be booked. 

75% would still be a big increase over the occupancy of recent cruises.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Luv2Cruz4Ever said:

I called NCL twice on Monday and both agents told me that they were booking at 50-60% maximum. 

According to del Rio at the last earnings call, cruises have been “booking”at an average of 51%. Again, this low number is determined by consumer demand and not company policy. If ncl could sail w/more bookings, they would.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, oteixeira said:

I honestly have not seen this in writing, where are you seeing the 100% capacity statement?

I found it. 🙂

An analysist from JP MOrgan asked Frank Del Rio about capacity in a QA last summer. This is his response. To the best of my knowledge there have been no modifications to this policy. 

image.png.dea4d1bd82e70afd8fb499f7b7c53359.png

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-nclh-q2-2021-earnings-call-transcript/ar-AAN1Kgb?ocid=uxbndlbing

Notice the word "Trying". If NCL could sail with more passengers, they would. Consumer demand has not returned. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

According to del Rio at the last earnings call, cruises have been “booking”at an average of 51%. Again, this low number is determined by consumer demand and not company policy. If ncl could sail w/more bookings, they would.  

While this is true we have two factors that will increase the demand starting yesterday:

1.  No masking

2.  Kids under 12 allowed to sail without vaccine (opening the doors to many families that were not able to book).

Now I know there are still those who wish to sail without proof of vaccine, or really anything at all other then the old school health form at the terminal, this should still get NCL to closer to 75% by the end of the quarter is my though.  We shall see, Russia is just killing the stocks thought, that part is clear.

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I found it. 🙂

An analysist from JP MOrgan asked Frank Del Rio about capacity in a QA last summer. This is his response. To the best of my knowledge there have been no modifications to this policy. 

image.png.dea4d1bd82e70afd8fb499f7b7c53359.png

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-nclh-q2-2021-earnings-call-transcript/ar-AAN1Kgb?ocid=uxbndlbing

Notice the word "Trying". If NCL could sail with more passengers, they would. Consumer demand has not returned. 

Looking at the date, this was all derailed by first Delta and them Omicron, my guess is this is still the plan, but it is just starting to ramp up now based on reports of PCCs saying 50% currently, and 75% in a couple of months.   Thanks for finding it though, I forgot about these quotes from before the next waves came.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

While this is true we have two factors that will increase the demand starting yesterday:

1.  No masking

2.  Kids under 12 allowed to sail without vaccine (opening the doors to many families that were not able to book).

From an emotional level, I certainly hope so. I do want NCL to succeed. It pains me slightly to bet against an industry I love. I do believe that bookings will rise more than 51%, but it's a matter of how fast? The cash burn rate right now is gigantic. 

Of course, we both know I am of the belief that cruising has taken an even bigger hit with Johnny Public. The image of cruising in a petri dish may take decades to overcome. Only time will tell how this pans out.

19 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Looking at the date, this was all derailed by first Delta and them Omicron, my guess is this is still the plan, but it is just starting to ramp up now based on reports of PCCs saying 50% currently, and 75% in a couple of months.   Thanks for finding it though, I forgot about these quotes from before the next waves came.

I can find no evidence that the official policy changed as a result of Omnicron or Delta. If you can find something in writing, please share. 

I believe the PCC's are wrong. I suspect they are reporting bookings and not berth capacity. Two entirely different things.

If NCL can sail with 75% bookings in May I will be shocked. I suspect a ramp up for spring break and easter, and then another plumet. The next earnings call comes early May and if the numbers reported in this thread are any indication, I expect it will be the biggest bloodbath yet :(. 

16 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

From an emotional level, I certainly hope so. I do want NCL to succeed. It pains me slightly to bet against an industry I love. I do believe that bookings will rise more than 51%, but it's a matter of how fast? The cash burn rate right now is gigantic. 

Of course, we both know I am of the belief that cruising has taken an even bigger hit with Johnny Public. The image of cruising in a petri dish may take decades to overcome. Only time will tell how this pans out.

I can find no evidence that the official policy changed as a result of Omnicron or Delta. If you can find something in writing, please share. 

I believe the PCC's are wrong. I suspect they are reporting bookings and not berth capacity. Two entirely different things.

If NCL can sail with 75% bookings in May I will be shocked. I suspect a ramp up for spring break and easter, and then another plumet. The next earnings call comes early May and if the numbers reported in this thread are any indication, I expect it will be the biggest bloodbath yet :(. 

I was totally speculating that Omicron and Delta changed the requirements of percentages, I have nothing to back it up in writing.  I hope for the sake of all the lines you are wrong about the plummet after Easter, but honestly only time will tell.

As for the May numbers, wont they be January-March, meaning they will not be clearly indicative of what is recovering since they were shut down some of January for the most part?

• Like 1

We will not be taking any of the covid shots required to cruise. Have no idea how many cruises we've done.. 40 plus, possibly 50. Nine of our family and or friends in similar position. So that's 11 of us in my little social circle. Kind of makes me wonder what the impact of folks like ourselves who are barred from travel, will have or is having. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, oteixeira said:

As for the May numbers, wont they be January-March, meaning they will not be clearly indicative of what is recovering since they were shut down some of January for the most part?

I think we are talking about two different things with the Month of May.  My apologies.

The May earnings call will reflect the first quarter of 2022 only. I suspect a blood bath due to Omicron cancellations. NCL decided to pause significantly more ships in January than any other line. I never calculated the percentage, but I believe they paused more than 80% of the fleet. In contrast, other lines paused fewer. I suspect this will result in a larger miss for the Q1 call. 

My comment about May booking numbers was in response to your quote that the PCC's are reporting  there will be 75% booking "in a few months".  We could look at June numbers also. The problem with bookings in 2022 is that a substantial percentage is going to be FCC's and NCL needs hard cash. 

• Like 2

As a stockholder of NCLH stock, I certainly hope that the numbers go up and quick! The stock is taking a beating as is the cash position of the company. But, with a Transatlantic cruise coming up in 53 days, I kinda hope the passenger count is reduced. Have not seen or heard any numbers for any occupancy restrictions as of today. I am guessing we may have another factor weighing heavily on this particular cruise by the name of Putin! Europe may not be the best place to be cruising to right now! Ugh!!