The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

5 minutes ago, js said:

Hi.
Is there a standard draft Butler letter that we can work from that you all use?
I can easily draft one myself but would love to see what you all use.

Thank you.

Here's a good thread to start: 

I think you might find some copies in this Secrets of the Haven thread we're on too.

I posted my first butler letter in the above thread, but here's a link to it for you, so you don't have to go searching. I adapted it from @Sthrngary's letter. It's certainly written in my style though. Steal, ignore, laugh! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Here's a good thread to start: 

I think you might find some copies in this Secrets of the Haven thread we're on too.

I posted my first butler letter in the above thread, but here's a link to it for you, so you don't have to go searching. I adapted it from @Sthrngary's letter. It's certainly written in my style though. Steal, ignore, laugh! 

Thank you so much!

I started writing things on a post-it but will use this letter and then modify as needed!

I really appreciate it!

Enjoy your cruise! Cannot wait to read everything! Did you find a drink yet?

Margaritas, mojitos? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, js said:

I started writing things on a post-it but will use this letter and then modify as needed!

I just collected all of the post it notes I have on my work desk that I have been collecting for the past 11 months and put them together for a cheat sheet for me and a Butler request summary to give to our Butler this Sunday.   I decided not to go with the more formal letter, but more of a casual typed out sheet of our requests.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

I just collected all of the post it notes I have on my work desk that I have been collecting for the past 11 months and put them together for a cheat sheet for me and a Butler request summary to give to our Butler this Sunday.   I decided not to go with the more formal letter, but more of a casual typed out sheet of our requests.   

Enjoy your cruise and tell us about it.  Also, I am from Huntington, NY also know as Melville.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

PS: Please try the Almond Croissant in the Haven usually in the morning.  SO GOOD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Enjoy your cruise and tell us about it.  Also, I am from Huntington, NY also know as Melville.  

PS: Please try the Almond Croissant in the Haven usually in the morning.  SO GOOD.

Thank you!

We tried them the last time we were in the Haven, but we are partial to the chocolate croissants.  

My husband grew up in Huntington but we live more out east--closer to West Hampton.  

Edited by vacation44
Adding more
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I keep meaning to ask, are these something you order or are they in the snack area in the Horizon Lounge? Because I am *definitely* going to try them.

• Like 1

Just now, Jordan61 said:

I keep meaning to ask, are these something you order or are they in the snack area in the Horizon Lounge? Because I am *definitely* going to try them.

@Jordan61 Thank you for asking.  It is one of my favorite topics for the Haven.  First they are on the bigger ships with a full Haven Restaurant.  I noticed them in two places.  First, in the Haven Restaurant on the side buffet where the fruit and smoked salmon is located.  Love that about the Haven Breakfast.  The second place is the Haven Horizon Observation Lounge which was one of my number 1 places to go for early breakfast.  The Coffee machine their is also the bomb especially for specialty coffees. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 3:01 PM, BrownEyedGirl686 said:

Silly question are they still giving the card holder for your key cards? 

On Encore last month, they didn't give them to us when we checked in, but they were waiting for us in our stateroom. If you don't get them, I would definitely ask the concierge for them. They are my favorite "slim" wallet that I use out and about for months after the cruise.

They put a smile in my face reminding me of the last cruise, and they have led to quite a few conversations with people about the Haven. Probably has netted NCL several Haven bookings from it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

Thank you Gary! I'm on the Bliss in May. Husband is an early riser, so I am going to give him the mission of procuring these for me!

@Jordan61 I am an early riser as well.  My routine was, get up quietly, go the Haven Horizon Observation Lounge, make myself a Cappuccino, get one of the pastries for me to sneak. Then make a plate and bring two coffee's back to the suite with more pastries.  Please don't tell my wife, she gets made when I have to many sweet things.  I could not help myself, LOL. 

Funny story, when I cruise the NCL Joy the second time because I love the ship, I did it solo because I got a deal, $800.00 for a Club Balcony Suite.  One of my Haven friend felt bad for me.  He was doing the Haven because of the article I wrote and had pity on me.  He brought me two every day and he was an early riser as well.  Life changing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, palpieha said:

On Encore last month, they didn't give them to us when we checked in, but they were waiting for us in our stateroom. If you don't get them, I would definitely ask the concierge for them. They are my favorite "slim" wallet that I use out and about for months after the cruise.

They put a smile in my face reminding me of the last cruise, and they have led to quite a few conversations with people about the Haven. Probably has netted NCL several Haven bookings from it.

Thank you 

For our Northern Europe Prima cruise this September, we will have our specific port plans set by the time we board (mostly independent).  Knowing there still could be unforeseen changes (weather etc), would you suggest that somewhere in the initial letter we share those plans with the Butler (so they better understand why we may be looking for specific things at specific times some days) or just tell him/her the night before each event?

TIA

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I've booked Prima 2 Feb 2024

I've booked Encore 14 Sep 2025

Both haven.

Have a GREAT time.  Both are truly lovely.  I am booked in November for 10 days in the Mediterranean on another brand. I truly hope we cruise together.  Would be fun.

12 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Have a GREAT time.  Both are truly lovely.  I am booked in November for 10 days in the Mediterranean on another brand. I truly hope we cruise together.  Would be fun.

Too bad.  You could teach me about tequilla.  I've never had the good stuff and the stuff I've had reminded me of kerosene.

We would enjoy the Haven Observation Deck on Encore.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2023 at 2:41 PM, Jordan61 said:

You can also request them to be brought to your room with breakfast. Just hand write them in on the card.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't want to get blasted for coming off as "hoity-toity" on another thread, but I saw that they have 😍 😍 Warm.  Chocolate.  Hazelnut.  Soufflé.  😍 😍 on the menu in the MDRs.

The ONLY thing that bugs me about the Haven is the menu that never changes ....  especially the desserts.  I don't like/want ANY of the desserts on the menu there - mayyyybe the cheesecake, but certainly not enough to have it more than once.  So, we ask our butler to get us a copy of the MDR menu each day so that we could possibly have apps from there as a late night snack .... and desserts.  🤤

Edited by mearsfansinboise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mearsfansinboise said:

I didn't want to get blasted for coming off as "hoity-toity" on another thread

@mearsfansinboise "Hoity-toity", LOL.  The Haven menu never changes.  For some, that is an issue.  It is nice you can order, with advanced notice, items from the Main Dining Room Menu or have your butler bring it.  I want to add.  in 2019 the small, round chocolate cake served in the Haven was different.  Back then, I was obsessed over it.  In November 2021, I had the opportunity to have it again.  It was NOT the same.  I was disappointed.  UNTIL, I went back on the Joy three months later, when to Cagney's for dinner and had the slice of Chocolate Cake.  There it was, the taste I missed.  Just looked different.  I TRIED to get a slice from Cagney's to bring back to my room, more than willing to pay for it, on a recent trip on the NCL Breakaway.  They said NO.  I was again disappointed.  I had a craving for more CAKE.  I am so bad.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@mearsfansinboise "Hoity-toity", LOL.  The Haven menu never changes.  For some, that is an issue.  It is nice you can order, with advanced notice, items from the Main Dining Room Menu or have your butler bring it.  I want to add.  in 2019 the small, round chocolate cake served in the Haven was different.  Back then, I was obsessed over it.  In November 2021, I had the opportunity to have it again.  It was NOT the same.  I was disappointed.  UNTIL, I went back on the Joy three months later, when to Cagney's for dinner and had the slice of Chocolate Cake.  There it was, the taste I missed.  Just looked different.  I TRIED to get a slice from Cagney's to bring back to my room, more than willing to pay for it, on a recent trip on the NCL Breakaway.  They said NO.  I was again disappointed.  I had a craving for more CAKE.  I am so bad.

I agree 100 % 

That cake was special !

on a slightly different topic...

And i'll add that "asking for " rather than "demanding" makes a world of difference.

We saw a couple demanding "this and that", and the staff did the best they could, but what a mess.

We asked our waiter at lunch if we could have a special "off menu" meal if we ordered in advance.

They gave us everything we asked for, and MORE.

All with a smile and they were happy that they could make it happen.

On 3/15/2023 at 2:41 PM, Jordan61 said:

They were also in the Haven boarding/check-in area at the terminal (we were at Port Canaveral). Absolutely delicious. Very rich, though, so I never scarfed down more than maybe one a day.

2 hours ago, estvil30 said:

I agree 100 % 

That cake was special !

on a slightly different topic...

And i'll add that "asking for " rather than "demanding" makes a world of difference.

We saw a couple demanding "this and that", and the staff did the best they could, but what a mess.

We asked our waiter at lunch if we could have a special "off menu" meal if we ordered in advance.

They gave us everything we asked for, and MORE.

All with a smile and they were happy that they could make it happen.

@estvil30 You just supported one of the Secrets of the Haven.  If we show the staff some respect and appreciation. If we give them a heads up and ask vs. demand.  They are likely to do almost anything we want.  

I was in the Haven Dining room one evening.  A group of six were demanding food cooked special that was not included on the menu.  The treated the staff with a huge level of disrespect.  My nature is to go over to the table, introduce myself and share how the program works.  I fight that part of my personality because nothing ever good comes from it especially on vacation.  On this situation, I did have a plan.

I waited to see the father who was at the table at the Haven Bar one night.  I strategically sat next to him. I engaged him and ordered one of the Famous Haven Bar "Smoking Manhattans".  He loved the show and asked me how I knew they could and would do that.  There was my opening.  I told him I studied the Haven, what they do and don't do, how to get somethings special from time to time. He did what I thought he would do, he started to complain about his issue with the Haven Restaurant.  I corrected him, he accepted the correction because he brought it up, not me.  The next day he waved me over to his table and thanked me.  

That took a lot of work on my part.  I call it taking the high road.  I would do it again in a heart beat.  I thought you would like that story.

• Like 15