The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

On 10/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, Sthrngary said:

The NCL Haven Challenge:  I want to challenge everyone who is in the Haven regardless of ship, itinerary or date. Make new friends with someone on CruiseCritic.com and if they would like one, give them a tour of the Haven.  

Sometimes we are fortunate in life and business to budget the Haven.  Other times we got a bit lucky and won an upgrade bid to the Haven.  The whole purpose of this thread was to give a guest perspective of the Haven so others have better more accurate information to consider it in the future. 

Pay your Haven Experience forward with a new friend with a tour.  Make sure you get them an Almond Croissant because they are the very best part of the Haven Experience, LOL.  But seriously, These little treats will change your life. 

This topic and stream has gone on for years.  That is good because lots of folks have been educated so their experience was improved.  The challenge is this stream is HUGE and lots of little nuggets are within the comments.  Nothing is better then seeing it for yourself.  Just my two cents. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

Gary, this almond croissant you speak so fondly of, do you have a picture or can describe its look/taste? I’ve been reading this thread for days now in preparation of our upcoming trip, and will be a first time Haven dweller. Every time the almond croissant sneaks into conversation it just makes me smile. I told my dear mom, this will be a must order when we get on board thanks to this thread, but truly would love a description of what we are in store for with this exclusive pastry. 😁

• Thanks 1

i'm not gary, but i share his love of the almond croissant. it's typically found on the breakfast buffet. (the haven restaurant has a set menu of items, but also a buffet with breads, pastries, fruit, cereals and the aforementioned croissant.) so, there is nothing really to order, per se, unless you're asking for them to be delivered at a time other than breakfast. the croissant has a few sliced almonds on top and inside is a filling of some sort of almond paste. other than that, it's a croissant! (but the almond filling makes it truly special for those who are fans.)

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SeaMja1012 said:

Gary, this almond croissant you speak so fondly of, do you have a picture or can describe its look/taste? I’ve been reading this thread for days now in preparation of our upcoming trip, and will be a first time Haven dweller. Every time the almond croissant sneaks into conversation it just makes me smile. I told my dear mom, this will be a must order when we get on board thanks to this thread, but truly would love a description of what we are in store for with this exclusive pastry. 😁

Yum!! It's a great little pastry. 

20230108_062148.thumb.jpg.b3606c70dcc4af8fec571266ab76808f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Always Cruising said:

Great picture of the almond croissant!  I believe the carrot (&zucchini?) sticks cancel out the calories of the luscious croissant...

Sprinkle a package of Sweet n Low on the croissant.  The granules will absorb the calories from the croissant.  Blow the granules away and you'll have a calorie free croissant.  Just be sure you don't get the granules on yourself or you'll get the full effect of the calories.

• Haha 6

Fun fact: if you’re a kidney stone producer, specifically Calcium Oxalate stones, the two foods you need to avoid the most are spinach and… almonds. So no more almond croissants. 🤬 my first sailing back in the Haven after learning that was a big bummer.  Granted, they have lots and lots of other things to choose from….but they’re not that croissant!  

17 minutes ago, psac said:

Fun fact: if you’re a kidney stone producer, specifically Calcium Oxalate stones, the two foods you need to avoid the most are spinach and… almonds. So no more almond croissants. 🤬 my first sailing back in the Haven after learning that was a big bummer.  Granted, they have lots and lots of other things to choose from….but they’re not that croissant!  

@psac Oh no, say it is not so.  I am so sorry, really.  OK, then have the Chocolate Cake in Cagney's.  A close second.  You actually educated me on the Calcium Oxalate Stones.  Thank you.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@psac Oh no, say it is not so.  I am so sorry, really.  OK, then have the Chocolate Cake in Cagney's.  A close second.  You actually educated me on the Calcium Oxalate Stones.  Thank you.

Thanks!  Because we liked the Haven steaks so much, we cancelled Cagneys on our last two trips. And missed that chocolate late both times. So next trip we’re doing Cagneys on the first night, so we have no chance to cancel.  😁

Ps chocolate is on the “don’t eat too much” for kidney stones list as well, but nowhere near as bad as the other two, like 15th down on the list. So I will happily indulge while on the cruise!!

• Haha 1

there are conflicting studies and advice being given to patients about kidney stones, with regard to consumption of chocolate, beer, soy, nuts, cheese, spinach, calcium, caffeine and coffee. some say that foods high in oxalate are also high in fiber, magnesium and potassium and therefore actually inhibit the development of stones. i'm not a doctor or nutritionist, have never had a kidney stone and so I  have no dog in this race... but i remain perplexed at what one should do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2023 at 11:55 AM, UKstages said:the croissant has a few sliced almonds on top and inside is a filling of some sort of almond paste. other than that, it's a croissant! (but the almond filling makes it truly special for those who are fans.)

“Some sort of Almond paste”- wouldn’t  that make it Marzipan, or is it different?

Nothing at all against Marzipan, btw 😛

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

no, it's not really marzipan, it's creamier, almost spreadable, more like an almond jam, if there is such a thing.

Creamier than marzipan- now you really got me curious! Will get the chance to try in less than a week from now and will certainly give them a go!

14 hours ago, UKstages said:

no, it's not really marzipan, it's creamier, almost spreadable, more like an almond jam, if there is such a thing.

Like a Nutella maybe? Well, no matter, my cruise countdown tells me 25 more days! Almond croissants, here I come! 😅

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2023 at 9:19 PM, UKstages said:

there are conflicting studies and advice being given to patients about kidney stones, with regard to consumption of chocolate, beer, soy, nuts, cheese, spinach, calcium, caffeine and coffee. some say that foods high in oxalate are also high in fiber, magnesium and potassium and therefore actually inhibit the development of stones. i'm not a doctor or nutritionist, have never had a kidney stone and so I  have no dog in this race... but i remain perplexed at what one should do.

Agree there’s still a lot of uncertainty. For sure the last three flipped from the naughty list to the nice list. Cheese is good for the calcium as well. Nuts have to be separated, there’s a big range between almonds (boooo) and pecans (yay!), with a bunch in between. And yeah, you still see a lot of poor info online and still being given out by doctors!  

Except for the spinach and almonds as the big no nos (I don’t really like beets or miso), I throw it all out the window once I get on a cruise ship.  😁

@Sthrngary reading your posts is addicting, the more I read it the more I wish there was a 2023 update.  But I couldn't find it.  I read in every single of your information there is a statement that if Butler brings your alcohol to your room there will be a charge regardless your drink plan, I am wondering about about not to my room? For example if I am at the humidor cigar lounge and I used the handy tiny coreless phone and called my Butler ask for a drink from the haven lounge, does that cost additional as well? Or for that matter if I call for a starbucks that are covered in my plan to be delivered to me when I am at another section of the ship would that be a request they honor and not charge the drink seperately?  Apologize in advance if this has been asked, I am still learning to what extend we can utilize the Butler.  

Another question is in your case the you allow the Butler to enter to drop off coffee in the morning, but how far do they enter? Or do they just open the door and leave it at the door way? I think it's cool to get a nice coffee waiting in the morning but I would want them to really walk in and look at me half naked with weird sleeping pose.

Thanks for all the information provided, it's really interesting to read before my haven spa suite experience next year.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mugennosora said:

@Sthrngary reading your posts is addicting, the more I read it the more I wish there was a 2023 update.  But I couldn't find it.  I read in every single of your information there is a statement that if Butler brings your alcohol to your room there will be a charge regardless your drink plan, I am wondering about about not to my room? For example if I am at the humidor cigar lounge and I used the handy tiny coreless phone and called my Butler ask for a drink from the haven lounge, does that cost additional as well? Or for that matter if I call for a starbucks that are covered in my plan to be delivered to me when I am at another section of the ship would that be a request they honor and not charge the drink seperately?  Apologize in advance if this has been asked, I am still learning to what extend we can utilize the Butler.  

Another question is in your case the you allow the Butler to enter to drop off coffee in the morning, but how far do they enter? Or do they just open the door and leave it at the door way? I think it's cool to get a nice coffee waiting in the morning but I would want them to really walk in and look at me half naked with weird sleeping pose.

Thanks for all the information provided, it's really interesting to read before my haven spa suite experience next year.  

@Mugennosora I never ask my butler to bring me alcohol at all on NCL.  It is there policy to charge for the drinks regardless of the play you have.  I always had the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  Now some folks have had success with no charge.  Don't count on it but ask your butler on day one. 

Coffee in the room is done per your instructions.  Starbucks is the normal Haven Coffee and is no charge.  Always ask your butler to provide room service only from the Haven Restaurant as long as it is open.  Coffee from the Starbucks ship store is not something your butler can do.  

The key is on NCL, you need your suite card to get any drink or coffee from Starbucks.  The butler does not have your key.  Again, you will get mixed answers on the question you asked. Sometime just asking in a nice way when you are on the ship solves all issues.

• Like 2

irrespective of which drink package you have, the butler is not a personal assistant. the butler should not be expected to fetch things for you and bring them to far flung locations around the ship. (yes, even if what you're asking for is food or beverage.)

"ah, but he brings me the chocolate cake i like from cagney's... what's the difference?"

the difference is that the butler serves haven guests, and generally provides that service in the haven. while it's true he or she can get you your favorite dessert and bring it to you in the haven as part of a meal service or a separate treat, and while it's true he can pick up your leftover dessert from your specialty dining restaurant and deliver it to your room (it's actually simpler to just take it yourself in a doggy bag)... it's not really his job to do things for you around the ship. also, the butler serves many other guests, not just you. it's incredibly inefficient to run all over the ship like a messenger delivering legal documents.

your mileage may vary; you may develop a special relationship with your butler and he or she may go to the ends of the earth for you... or at least to deck 8. but that should not be an expectation. and any food or beverage that the butler brings you is subject to the same limitations as your food and beverage packages. some butlers will indeed bend the rules.

but that handy tiny phone is really to contact the butler to tell him or her that you'd like room service or that you'd like to arrange a formal dining service in your room or, perhaps, in another part of the haven complex using the haven restaurant menu or that you've run out of earl grey tea or you can use that handy phone to call your concierge to ask assistance with an excursion or a reservation.

it's not to request that the butler fetch you your slippers. (unless your butler is  eliza doolitle.) and it's not to have them bring you a magnum of louis XIII cognac to your hot tub on the pool deck. (they have others who will in fact provide drink service in most areas of the ship; charges may apply, especially for louis XIII). and it's not to have them bring you an almond croissant in the thermal spa.

anyway, if you're in the cigar lounge, why would you need your butler to bring you a drink? i've never been in there, but i do believe there is a bar or two just a few steps away. you're never that far away from a bar no matter which public deck you are on... on any ship! that would be a lot quicker than having your butler bring you a drink. and when the cigar lounge is occupied, there may even be a server who goes in there to take drink orders, i don't know. if there is a special drink that you can only get in the haven, then get one before you leave and try not to spill any in the few minutes it takes you to travel to the cigar lounge.

your butler provides service, which is quite different than being under servitude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, UKstages said:

irrespective of which drink package you have, the butler is not a personal assistant. the butler should not be expected to fetch things for you and bring them to far flung locations around the ship. (yes, even if what you're asking for is food or beverage.)

"ah, but he brings me the chocolate cake i like from cagney's... what's the difference?"

the difference is that the butler serves haven guests, and generally provides that service in the haven. while it's true he or she can get you your favorite dessert and bring it to you in the haven as part of a meal service or a separate treat, and while it's true he can pick up your leftover dessert from your specialty dining restaurant and deliver it to your room (it's actually simpler to just take it yourself in a doggy bag)... it's not really his job to do things for you around the ship. also, the butler serves many other guests, not just you. it's incredibly inefficient to run all over the ship like a messenger delivering legal documents.

your mileage may vary; you may develop a special relationship with your butler and he or she may go to the ends of the earth for you... or at least to deck 8. but that should not be an expectation. and any food or beverage that the butler brings you is subject to the same limitations as your food and beverage packages. some butlers will indeed bend the rules.

but that handy tiny phone is really to contact the butler to tell him or her that you'd like room service or that you'd like to arrange a formal dining service in your room or, perhaps, in another part of the haven complex using the haven restaurant menu or that you've run out of earl grey tea or you can use that handy phone to call your concierge to ask assistance with an excursion or a reservation.

it's not to request that the butler fetch you your slippers. (unless your butler is  eliza doolitle.) and it's not to have them bring you a magnum of louis XIII cognac to your hot tub on the pool deck. (they have others who will in fact provide drink service in most areas of the ship; charges may apply, especially for louis XIII). and it's not to have them bring you an almond croissant in the thermal spa.

anyway, if you're in the cigar lounge, why would you need your butler to bring you a drink? i've never been in there, but i do believe there is a bar or two just a few steps away. you're never that far away from a bar no matter which public deck you are on... on any ship! that would be a lot quicker than having your butler bring you a drink. and when the cigar lounge is occupied, there may even be a server who goes in there to take drink orders, i don't know. if there is a special drink that you can only get in the haven, then get one before you leave and try not to spill any in the few minutes it takes you to travel to the cigar lounge.

your butler provides service, which is quite different than being under servitude.

Although I believe you make some valid points, the issue is "Realistic Expectations".  These kinds of questions about what a butler will do and won't do are usually from folks that never had a butler before.  One of the biggest topics on this and other Haven Threads is about butlers.  I try to response to the questions based on my personal experience knowing I too was new to butler service some many years ago. 

If truth be told, the issue with Butlers and NCL is the number of suites they take care of and the other responsibilities over and above a normal butlers duties.  Some are GREAT, some are average and others are well not so great.  The solution is to always be kind and understanding.  Butlers will go out of their way to make you happy is you connect with them on some level. 

That being said, my issue with all butler related threads is when folks make public the special stuff that are not policy that butlers have done for them in the past.  Then the news guest with a butler for the first time gets disappointed when it is not done for them.  

I really feel the question posed was much more a clarification than asking a butler to do something out of the ordinary.  I want to relate back to my Butler Letter which has evolved over many cruise with butlers.  At first, I just did not want to be embarrassed by asking for something that was out of line. The more I cruised, the more I learned was acceptable and not acceptable.  I found out that all your butler really needs is GREAT Communication.  They might say no and sometimes they might do something very special.  

When one goes on other brands especially Premium-Plus, Luxury and Ultra-Luxury; all bets are off.  These butlers will do anything you ask and really want you to ask.  The difference is night and day.  Those butlers look for hints of what a guest wants and likes.  They also have a lot more time because they have a lot less suites.  We all have to remember, NCL is a main stream cruise brand.  Even the Haven is no the upper level of personalized service.  Realistic Expectations. 

20 minutes ago, UKstages said:

@UKstages Thank you for the clarification, we booked the Spa Suite so you can imagine why I ask those questions having being outside of haven facility all the way on the other side, it's been mentioned that the haven drinks is a cut above, so it having enjoying a cigar a good drink would be nice, not that I cant take 10 minute walk to the other side and get a drink and another 10 minutes back holding 2 cups of old fashion, with my travel humidor balanced on my head walking toward the humidor lounge.  I just wanted to find out if I can avoid having to do that every night or have to settle for poorly stocked bar (we just came back from Prima a month ago, and the bar next to the humidor lounge don't have half the stuff that are on the menu.   In the end we believe being able to set a realistic expectation is to do enough research ask enough question to know where the line really is to get the most out of it. of course that also goes with utilizing and compensate the butler reasonably based on how close to that expectation line they go.  I've only seen RC concierge in action, obviously different brand different expectation, but their service seems to be out of this world like one butler to one room in comparison from what you get from NCL.  reading the 2 Giant information thread from @Sthrngary I slowly come to an understand that the NCL butler is basically room attendant that would also contact concierge for you.  Either way, even though I feel this response to my question are little over reacted defensive for the butlers, I guess i am too young to get the eliza doolitle reference and never tried the haven almond croissant yet to see if that's something I would want to risk to have in the spa, I appreciate all the response to my questions, and I think you for taking the time to communicate.

• Thanks 1

@Sthrngary  Your experience is and suggestions are so valuable!  Question:

Is it helpful FOR the Butler and/or cabin attendant, for us to share with them our plans are for the day?  Such as excursion departure and return times, lunch, dinner or show plans.

This is not specifically for them to do anything other than be aware and perhaps better understand when we'll be in the suite.   Maybe they can even be able to offer a suggestion or two, if appropriate, to enhance our plans once they know?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, McGarrett5oh said:

@Sthrngary  Your experience is and suggestions are so valuable!  Question:

Is it helpful FOR the Butler and/or cabin attendant, for us to share with them our plans are for the day?  Such as excursion departure and return times, lunch, dinner or show plans.

This is not specifically for them to do anything other than be aware and perhaps better understand when we'll be in the suite.   Maybe they can even be able to offer a suggestion or two, if appropriate, to enhance our plans once they know?

Thanks!

@McGarrett5oh Thank you for the kind words.  It is always nice to let your cruise team know what your plans are so they can better schedule their respective work.  Now I am going to say something that some might feel is unpopular.  

The Butlers on NCL do a nice job, yet never an truly GREAT job.  Some will disagree with me and give many reasons.  That was the unpopular statement I was referring. The more you explain your wants, needs and motives to your butler the better job they can do. 

That said, I have never gotten the idea they knew much about the ports, excursions or what to do to make you time there better.  Where on other brands the butlers did know those things.  Those other brands were Premium-Plus, Luxury and Ultra-Luxury brands.  There is NO comparison on an NCL Butler to lets say a Regent Seven Seas Cruise Butler. 

This is not to say your Haven Butler will not do everything they can to accommodate any and all requests.  So back to the core of your question. What you suggested is a good idea. Please tell us how it worked out.  Thanks for asking. 

23 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Mugennosora I never ask my butler to bring me alcohol at all on NCL.  It is there policy to charge for the drinks regardless of the play you have.  I always had the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  Now some folks have had success with no charge.  Don't count on it but ask your butler on day one. 

Coffee in the room is done per your instructions.  Starbucks is the normal Haven Coffee and is no charge.  Always ask your butler to provide room service only from the Haven Restaurant as long as it is open.  Coffee from the Starbucks ship store is not something your butler can do.  

The key is on NCL, you need your suite card to get any drink or coffee from Starbucks.  The butler does not have your key.  Again, you will get mixed answers on the question you asked. Sometime just asking in a nice way when you are on the ship solves all issues.

Please tell me not all ships serve Starbucks? We are in the Haven on the Pearl and will have morning coffee in Moderno's, has been French press in the past on the Gem and Dawn.

Oh and one week from right now (God willing) I will be enjoying my first almond croissant in a very long time. Only have these on NCL.

Thanks

27 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Please tell me not all ships serve Starbucks? We are in the Haven on the Pearl and will have morning coffee in Moderno's, has been French press in the past on the Gem and Dawn.

Oh and one week from right now (God willing) I will be enjoying my first almond croissant in a very long time. Only have these on NCL.

Thanks

@latebloomer56 Not all ships have Starbucks.  The bigger ones do like Encore and Joy.