The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

26 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Do I  have to make a reservation for 2 in the Haven?

@9tee2Sea No, the Haven do not take reservations.  The longest wait I have ever had for a table was 20 minutes.  

28 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Do I contact my concierge and arrange a table for 2 at a certain time, or just walk in ( like all the specialty restaurants ) and ask for a deuce?

Specialty Restaurant, because you are in the Haven, you can reserve them, online, before anyone else can do so.  I believe you can do that reservation 130 days in advance.  

Again, the Haven Restaurant does not offer reservations. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

11 minutes ago, Yinster said:

Totally agree Sthrngary, NCL shouldn't raise prices and cut benefits but they have. Like everything in life, we value what it is worth. If it's not worth the money, we won't buy. However as long as people pay for the product given, prices will continue to raise and maybe more benefits will get cut.  

There are trade-offs. 

Do you raise prices a lot to keep the same benefits.

Do you cut benefits a lot to keep the same prices.

Do you do a bit of both, raise prices a small amount while making small cuts in benefits.

We must rememer, if the cruise don't make trade-offs, soon there won't be cruise lines.

The cruise lines have been hit with a double whammy. First, the pandemic with it's impacts on profits.  Second, the impacts of inflation.

It's easy for us sitting on the sidelines to say that the cruise lines should do this or do that.  We can claim that the costs will be minimal but we really have no insights into the costs or what the impacts will be on future booking.

I'm fairly certain the cruise lines are continuously evaluating how to minimize fare increases while maximizing customer value.  

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I'm fairly certain the cruise lines are continuously evaluating how to minimize fare increases while maximizing customer value.  

I am quite sure you are correct.  What we client have is more powerful.  When the price, exceed the value by one cent in the clients mind, they don't buy.  This is a seesaw and not the easiest decision to make for the cruise brand.  But let us all not forget, if we clients stop buying they go out of business.  A great company needs to read the room.  The client have the control and since it is Their money, they should.  It just takes some time for the cruise brand to as I said, read the room.

3 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I am quite sure you are correct.  What we client have is more powerful.  When the price, exceed the value by one cent in the clients mind, they don't buy.  This is a seesaw and not the easiest decision to make for the cruise brand.  But let us all not forget, if we clients stop buying they go out of business.  A great company needs to read the room.  The client have the control and since it is Their money, they should.  It just takes some time for the cruise brand to as I said, read the room.

Of course, and 'riding that seesaw' isn't as simple as we might think.  The cruise lines have to 'read the room' and the ones that do that best will prosper better than the others.  I believe the cruise lines have more information on 'the room' than we do, there are factors involved which we know not.  

I'm a big believer in the laws of unintended consequences.  For example, providing drinks to the cabins may result in an increase in non-haven guests drinking for free while visiting their new found friends in the Haven.  How big a problem, we don't know.  I'm sure the cruise line has a good idea.  Small things do add up.

• Like 1

You are correct we don't know the running costs of things but what we do know which gives an indicator of how well the business is doing is share prices and end of year profit values. If these are considered excess then customers do have a cause for complaint of rising prices and loss of benefits. Ultimately NCL like most companies have to answer to shareholders before customers.

Cruise lines need to be competitive as loyalty only goes so far. Especially as most now status match for you to try them. 

For now, the Haven is our go to for the price we want. But we do cruise with other lines and our next cruises are with two different cruise lines  

Edited by Yinster

18 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

I sailed on the Escape this past summer in the Haven and will be on the Prima in March and the Encore in June. I'm looking at the Bliss for March 2025.

Is the Haven essentially the same on all of these ships? Or does it vary? If so, has anyone made any type of comparison chart (or is there a published one?) of the different ships and what the Haven is like or each one?

Thanks for any help.

I haven't been on Escape yet, but was on Prima in September and Joy/Encore (sister ships to your Bliss) a few times previously. Each 'category' of ship class is different from the rest, but ships within the same class will be very nearly identical. Meaning a jewel class ship (Gem, Pearl, Jade....) is very different from a breakaway plus class ship (Encore, Bliss, Joy...). Best bet is to look at the ships together by their class to see what if any differences there are in the sister groupings. https://cruisedeckplans.com/ships/cruiseline.php?line=Norwegian

I'm biased, but I prefer Joy the most of all as it offers the best value for your money. Those HH, HI, HJ cabins are mid ship so a short walk to the Haven amenity areas, bigger cabins than the courtyard rooms, and much cheaper in price. Joy has all the full amenities - private bar, restaurant for 3 meals/day, observation lounge, pool, sundeck.... 

2 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I just have 1 ( well, maybe 2-3) question(s) that have probably been answered ( but I am NOT going to go thru 138+ pages to find out).  This will be my first time in Haven ( I know all about the " Letter" from this site.  My question is about dining.  Do I  have to make a reservation for 2 in the Haven?  We don't like to share tables with others ( not that Im a snob, it's just conversations can get a bit heated over certain subjects).  Do I contact my concierge and arrange a table for 2 at a certain time, or just walk in ( like all the specialty restaurants ) and ask for a deuce?.  Can I book Haven dining times on line ( my cruise is 50 days out)?  Thanks

If you're only a group of 2, no need to worry about eating at the restaurant. The only time it makes sense to talk to the concierge ahead of time is if you have a big group and want to dine together, or have a special request (wanting to eat off-menu). Otherwise you walk up and you're usually sitting within 10 mins. If it will be a much longer wait, they will sometimes offer you the option to eat at Q for free.

• Like 1

Benefits wise - I like to see other countries like the US given the same as the UK. All the usual FAS. Drinks package, shore excursions credit, a few nights at a speciality dining restaurant and WiFi credit. Give people premium drinks. And supply more cans of soft drinks that I can  put in my fridge. Also why not supply bottles of water too?

Though when we first cruise with NCL, speciality dining was unlimited. Now it's 2 nights on a seven day cruise 

Have more self service coffee machines around the haven area for Starbucks coffee. I don't drink coffee but my partner appreciated it on the Joy.

Changing the menu at the Haven restaurant. Even if it's a three night rota for seven days

Having a tick sheet for afternoon snacks at the start of the cruise that the butler collects. Just like the breakfast menu .This will say what is going to be offered on what day. Hopefully reducing what is wasted plus knowing if there's any allergies or preference. When we were on the Joy, we were fine with the snacks on the observation lounge so ask for NO afternoon snacks. Hate food wastage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Small things do add up.

There is an intangible value that each guest has to account for individually.  In reflecting on our experience aboard the Prima, beyond the hard cost calculator “cipherin” (IYKYK) (ie room cost, food cost, drink package, internet etc), we found considerable value in the restaurant staff and bartenders remembering our names and our food and drink preferences, early disembarkation, front row seats at the shows, the escape from the on board crowds & generally being treated like ‘rock stars’.  

Is that enough to swing the value proposition our way?  To each their own.  For us, coupled with other Haven and non-Haven attributes, for us, YES.  

If I were the cruise line and I had to balance the hard costs and value equation so that the prospective guest feels they win, I’d focus on the intangibles & the “experience” that may not have any or very much additional hard costs associated to providing.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, McGarrett5oh said:

There is an intangible value that each guest has to account for individually.  In reflecting on our experience aboard the Prima, beyond the hard cost calculator “cipherin” (IYKYK) (ie room cost, food cost, drink package, internet etc), we found considerable value in the restaurant staff and bartenders remembering our names and our food and drink preferences, early disembarkation, front row seats at the shows, the escape from the on board crowds & generally being treated like ‘rock stars’.  

Is that enough to swing the value proposition our way?  To each their own.  For us, coupled with other Haven and non-Haven attributes, for us, YES.  

If I were the cruise line and I had to balance the hard costs and value equation so that the prospective guest feels they win, I’d focus on the intangibles & the “experience” that may not have any or very much additional hard costs associated to providing.  

Makes sense.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I just have 1 ( well, maybe 2-3) question(s) that have probably been answered ( but I am NOT going to go thru 138+ pages to find out).  This will be my first time in Haven ( I know all about the " Letter" from this site.  My question is about dining.  Do I  have to make a reservation for 2 in the Haven?  We don't like to share tables with others ( not that Im a snob, it's just conversations can get a bit heated over certain subjects).  Do I contact my concierge and arrange a table for 2 at a certain time, or just walk in ( like all the specialty restaurants ) and ask for a deuce?.  Can I book Haven dining times on line ( my cruise is 50 days out)?  Thanks

Just show up when you want and the hostess will seat your party at your own table.   If you wish to share a table with specific people, just mention that to the  hostess.  Trust me, the Haven Restaurant's staff will know your preferences after the first day.  I wish all land based restaurants were as accommodating as the Haven. You will have a very enjoyable dining experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Yinster The issue happening is what we all simply have to weigh.  Cutting benefits when you are also raising prices it my issue.  I am of the thoughts, raise the price to keep with the rising costs; Just don't cut the benefits and amenities while raising prices.  Every business especially a great business like NCL deserves a fair profit.  Especially after the hardship they went through with no clients, having to gain funding during the covid times.  We as loyal brand and Haven cruisers fully understand that.  It is just business.  

However, we came to the Haven for a different kind of cruise experience.  We did not want to give up the grand mega ship attractions yet we wanted a certain level of luxury, exclusivity, and quality at the same time.  The notion of a "Ship within a Ship" concept was initially the "Best of Both Worlds".  What was missing was a really good way to consider this concept of the Haven. Information written from a guest point of view.  That is what this and other threads offered and it had a significant impact on he popularity of the Haven Concept (unprovable just boosting). 

Once we all knew the Plus/Minus, we evaluated the Value Proposition and the Haven became for many of us myself included "The Only Way To Cruise".  Slowly as one could have expected, the investment went up.  Especially on the newer ships. I don't know when the line of value vs investment was crossed but it was.  We can all live with that.  It is when price goes up and value in the form of what was provided in the past, is not in the future.  Little things started to be reported and all of a sudden, it opened up the thought to look at other brands simply base on cost comparison.

That is the history.  All I am saying is, NCL has to rethink the Haven Concept.  Either increase amenities and benefits to support increased pricing.  OR, Decrease amenities and benefits and reduce prices.  You can't have it both ways.  Well you can actually and when folks figure it out, they look at your competition and other brands.  That is happening factually is we all read other blogs on CruiseCritic.com.  It is also happening to Celebrity Retreat and MSC Yacht Club guest.  NCL is simply my favorite cruise brand with the Haven dear to my hear.  That is why I focus on the topic. 

Do I love the Haven, YES.  Will I cruise in the Haven again, YES.  Will I support those that cruise the Haven, YES. Is it a great concept, YES.  NCL has to ask themselves a question, "Is the Haven part of their future and if so, make it all it can be and make the investment equal to the benefits."  Just my two cents.

I think you raised excellent points. I sailed on my first Haven cruise this past July. It was an excellent option for my mom, who is very mobility challenged and is probably Stage 2 of cognitive decline. We enjoyed it so much we booked two more Haven experiences for her. It was great having a small area for her to be in, staff quickly learned her name and preferences, and the sitting area by the concierge and bar was an excellent location for us to play cards, and have her see people coming and going. 

However, while I do enjoy many aspects of the Haven experience, it is not enough value for me when I book cruises for my husband and myself. So when the time comes that my mom is gone (or not able to travel), I will be done traveling in the Haven, unless something changes (the value I perceive, or we win a huge lottery so money is inconsequential in the decision......not holding my breath, though). 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Just show up when you want and the hostess will seat your party at your own table.   If you wish to share a table with specific people, just mention that to the  hostess.  Trust me, the Haven Restaurant's staff will know your preferences after the first day.  I wish all land based restaurants were as accommodating as the Haven. You will have a very enjoyable dining experience. 

I echo your post as this was our recent experience. By our third visit to the Haven restaurant, the hostess knew our names and that we preferred to sit outside. One particular staff member would take care of us -no matter where we were sitting. He knew our names, my husband’s drink preference, our desire for bread and butter, and would give me wine suggestions. The assistant maitre d often checked on us and would make suggestions. Although the menus don’t change, we ate most meals in the Haven mainly because of the atmosphere and top-notch service. And, since there were two of us, we never waited more than five minutes. 

• Like 3

On 12/9/2023 at 5:09 PM, PandaBear62 said:

I sailed on the Escape this past summer in the Haven and will be on the Prima in March and the Encore in June. I'm looking at the Bliss for March 2025.

Is the Haven essentially the same on all of these ships? Or does it vary? If so, has anyone made any type of comparison chart (or is there a published one?) of the different ships and what the Haven is like or each one?

Thanks for any help.

@PandaBear62 I don't know of any chart comparing the Havens on the different ships, and they are different from ship to ship. My suggestion would be to watch videos on Youtube. There are some very good ones that give tours of the Haven facilities. I have stayed in the Haven on the Escape(my first cruise), Prima and the Bliss and all were different. The Bliss is probably my favorite because of the Haven observation lounge in the front of the ship. It's a really nice place to hang while cruising to Alaska.

• Like 1

Just got our flights from NCL and learned a lesson about that. We have 10.5 hours between leaving the ship and our flight leaving.  Called NCL and they can't change anything; called American Airlines and they can't change anything.  Has anyone had success in changing those flights?  Obviously willing to pay fees and/or difference in price.  Help please! 

10 minutes ago, SteveGill said:

Just got our flights from NCL and learned a lesson about that. We have 10.5 hours between leaving the ship and our flight leaving.  Called NCL and they can't change anything; called American Airlines and they can't change anything.  Has anyone had success in changing those flights?  Obviously willing to pay fees and/or difference in price.  Help please! 

Just consider that tuition for the lesson of not booking NCL.

9 hours ago, SteveGill said:

hate to say it, but look for other flights to your liking, and book a 1 way if you choose.  Otherwise, look for an excursion on disembarking day that may interest you.  Just think of the NCL ticket as a throw away.  Never have done that, but I dont think you can get in trouble.  The cruise is over.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SteveGill said:

Personally, I'd keep the ticket, but that's me. I don't mind wandering around random cities. If you do keep the ticket, it's possible you can change the ticket when you get closer to your flight (i.e. less than three days from the flight). There may be a fee you incur. American may also say forget it. I hate American Airlines, so I'm thinking they'll say forget it, but I'm absolutely biased.

Or, as @9tee2Sea says, eat the cost and skip the flight leaving by purchasing a ticket on another airline. NCL isn't going to do anything for you. They're very clear about this in the terms and conditions and are inflexible. The airline might help you out, but you won't know that for a few weeks.

Best wishes!

• Like 1

I am not sure that NCL Flights are a Haven Issue however it can be.  Whether to use the cruise brand for flights or do it yourself is a major debated weekly on almost every cruise blog site. It is SO tempting when you hear, second person free flights or 1/2 off flights for second person.  If you have never had experience with Cruise Brand Flights you think nothing of it.  If you have or studied the subject, you use more caution.

Then you start cruising, a lot.  You make the potential mistake of booking with a cruise brand, it does not matter which brand.  You find out sometimes, the flights are just OK.  Never great just OK.  Other times it is a problem.  The real issue is a lack of control vs. a potential cost savings. You also THINK that the Cruise Brand has some obligation to get you to your next port if you miss the flight at no cost.  That would not be correct.  It is also a very frustrating, costly and messy mistake.  Does it happen all the time, no.  Does it happen enough to be aware and concerned, yes. 

That was the setup for my response.  I NEVER take Cruise brand Air.  What I do, is find out how much may fare goes down if I don't take the air.  On my last cruise, which was a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise. The Reduction was $1,000.00 per person.  I then waited for the Airlines to open up itineraries for my dates which happens 330 before the flights for Delta Airlines. That is when I can get the best prices for, wait for it, "Fully Refundable Airfare".  BINGO.

Why Fully Refundable?  If we cancel the cruise before full payment, if I did not purchase cruise insurance that would cover my air yet (If you buy cruise insurance and cancel your cruise, you lose the premium paid so I hold off) we can get all our air money back.  If we booked the air with the cruise brand, we can cancel ALSO before full payment with NO liability for air cost so this becomes a wash.  In my actual case, the Fully Refundable Air was $200.00 per person higher cost and I had to give the money upfront. Please keep that in mind. I initially paid, $200 more for each flight. 

So I booked the seats, paid for the tickets in full, choose the air itinerary based on other going with us so we all fly together and best connections, choose to fly in the day before the cruise and out the day after the cruise because again I had complete control. As time went on, I had some other options that most folks don't think about. Let me share some:

1. Cruise Travel Insurance; The Type of insurance I purchase allows for losses for cancelation for any reason.  Again a product I purchase directly from the insurance company, never the cruise brand.  I also purchase the elements that is most important to me so I study it.  The bottom line, now I can re-look at the air fare and get discounted prices if I choose knowing if I cancel the cruise or the air, the insurance compensates me.  My choice and my option.
  2. Airline Upgrades and Free Bags:  I notices that often, when a person books with the cruise brand, they have no baggage allowance of any sort.  Not always the case but the case that often causes a unwanted financial surprise. When I book directly, I choose a fare that gives me one checked bag with the fare.  I also, daily look to see what the Upgrade offers are from the airline.  With my last trip with Delta, I was able to upgrade all the domestic flights to first class for a "Song" (Cheaply), and one of the long-haul legs to Delta One Business Class Suites for $699.00 per person.  You just have to look often, and be willing to pull the trigger. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not. 
  3. Airlines Points:  Sometimes you get your airline brand miles and sometimes you do not.  Since with the Cruise Brand, you don't know the airline brand being used until the last minute, it is a hit or miss.  With my choice of Delta, I knew that all those points from international travel would go into my account with no debate.  Again, Control. 

I don't like writing about flights and air.  There are some folks on this and other blogs that are the true experts.  They sometimes take offense that someone not in the Airline business like me expresses my opinion and they correct every aspect of what I said.  That is why when I wrote this LONG response, to a Haven Thread all I was claiming is how I do it and how it has effected me.  Now it is up to everyone reading this if you made it this long, to consider what you want to do.  All I ask is make a decision for you and don't complain about it if it does not work out.  Do your due diligence upfront and make your trip the best it can be.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I am not sure that NCL Flights are a Haven Issue however it can be.  Whether to use the cruise brand for flights or do it yourself is a major debated weekly on almost every cruise blog site. It is SO tempting when you hear, second person free flights or 1/2 off flights for second person.  If you have never had experience with Cruise Brand Flights you think nothing of it.  If you have or studied the subject, you use more caution.

Then you start cruising, a lot.  You make the potential mistake of booking with a cruise brand, it does not matter which brand.  You find out sometimes, the flights are just OK.  Never great just OK.  Other times it is a problem.  The real issue is a lack of control vs. a potential cost savings. You also THINK that the Cruise Brand has some obligation to get you to your next port if you miss the flight at no cost.  That would not be correct.  It is also a very frustrating, costly and messy mistake.  Does it happen all the time, no.  Does it happen enough to be aware and concerned, yes. 

Well written.  

I never book cruise air because I have spent too much time travelling for work where all travel was booked at the lowest possible rate.  I'm too old for that now.

One of my mottos is this:  "Fly first class.  If you don't,  your grandkids will."

At this stage of my life, I don't have too many opportunities to travel well left.  I intend to enjoy those opportunities.  The least expensive travel isn't my objective.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, SteveGill said:

14 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

hate to say it, but look for other flights to your liking, and book a 1 way if you choose.  Otherwise, look for an excursion on disembarking day that may interest you.  Just think of the NCL ticket as a throw away.  

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Personally, I'd keep the ticket, but that's me. I don't mind wandering around random cities. If you do keep the ticket, it's possible you can change the ticket when you get closer to your flight (i.e. less than three days from the flight). 

Or, as @9tee2Sea says, eat the cost and skip the flight leaving by purchasing a ticket on another airline.

It seems to be a relatively straightforward equation.  Look into the above-described options and the costs you would incur.  If the price is worth it to you to save 6 or 7 hours of your time, then book an alternative.  If saving the six or seven hours isn't worth the expense, then bring a good book.  (I am saying six or seven hours as opposed to the ten and a half you quoted because in any event, you will need to be at the airport two to three hours before your flight anyway.  So, your issue is more about saving six or seven hours of your time.)

I hope this helps.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

"Fly first class.  If you don't,  your grandkids will."

@RocketMan275 Sometimes, you write something that is so on-point.  It took me five years after retiring to figure this out.  When we work so hard and long all of our lives.  Then for what every reason, we choose to retire.  We feel so vulnerable for a long while.  We trained ourself to work when sick, or when not into it.  We sold ourselves we had to do it to have a nice retirement.  Then we are afraid to use it when we retire.  

I asked a good friend of mind about this feeling and he said it happens to all of us.  Habits are hard to break.  @RocketMan275 Your motto is a great motto and I will give you full credit for it for one years.  Then I am claiming it for myself and never giving you credit.  You have been warned.

Cruise well "In first class" and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I NEVER take Cruise brand Air.  

I haven't the level of experience with it that you do, my friend, but this is pretty much the conclusion I've come to.

For our first two cruises, I handled the air travel myself.  I liked the control and versatility.  Additionally---and I know cruiseny4life detests American Airlines so he may be surprised to hear---when COVID torpedoed our 2020 cruise and I couldn't schedule a new voyage until September, 2021, I was able to get American Airlines to honour our voucher for the cancelled 2020 flights, even though it was well past the deadline for doing so.  I doubt I could have done this if I had relied upon cruise brand air.

Yes, for our Regent cruise, I let the cruise line handle our air arrangements.  However, there was an advantage in that Regent permitted me to determine our flight schedule.

To be fair, I experienced no issues with Regent making the reservations.  Still, I wasn't comfortable with that method.  As I addressed in my trip report of our Regent cruise, even though I identified which flights I wanted to book as soon as they were promulgated, in January of 2022, I had to wait until August for Regent to book them.  (Regent's claim was the later booking date minimised problems created by the airlines cancelling or rescheduling flights.)  Waiting so long risked the flights I wanted being booked solid before Regent could schedule them.

And, of course, Regent booked the cheapest seats in economy for us.  Aye, I would be able to bump up to first class and pay the difference out of pocket---but not before 09 September 2022 (when Regent paid the airline for the booking).  That meant waiting even longer and hoping good first-class seats would still be available by then.

As it turned out, none of these calamities occurred---we got the flights we wanted and first-class seats.  But I was uncomfortable with the lack of control over the process.  I would rather have nailed down precisely what we wanted when I wanted to do so.

Even if it means forgoing any sweetheart deals like "second passenger flies free".  I'd rather have the piece of mind.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

It seems to be a relatively straightforward equation.  Look into the above-described options and the costs you would incur.  If the price is worth it to you to save 6 or 7 hours of your time, then book an alternative.  If saving the six or seven hours isn't worth the expense, then bring a good book.  (I am saying six or seven hours as opposed to the ten and a half you quoted because in any event, you will need to be at the airport two to three hours before your flight anyway.  So, your issue is more about saving six or seven hours of your time.)

I hope this helps.

Math was never my strong suit...🙄   I should have written seven or eight hours of your time if you plan to be at the airport two to three hours before your flight.  OOPS!!

My apologies for taking part in the thread drift.  🙈🙉🙊 

Edited by Daniel A

50 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@RocketMan275 Sometimes, you write something that is so on-point.  It took me five years after retiring to figure this out.  When we work so hard and long all of our lives.  Then for what every reason, we choose to retire.  We feel so vulnerable for a long while.  We trained ourself to work when sick, or when not into it.  We sold ourselves we had to do it to have a nice retirement.  Then we are afraid to use it when we retire.  

I asked a good friend of mind about this feeling and he said it happens to all of us.  Habits are hard to break.  @RocketMan275 Your motto is a great motto and I will give you full credit for it for one years.  Then I am claiming it for myself and never giving you credit.  You have been warned.

Cruise well "In first class" and enjoy every moment. 

A good friend told me there was a bigger hurdle to clear when you retire.

He said, all your life you've been focused on acquiring capital.

The hurdles is once you're retired you need to focus on spending capital.

My father won the game.  He never graduated high school.  Worked all his life in the oil fields as a roustabout.  Saved as much as he could.  Paid for his two sons to go to college. Still he was fearful of having to go 'on relief', ie, welfare.  My brother told me that when Dad passed away at age 92, he had just enough money left to pay his last month of assisted living and his funeral expenses.  If he'd lived one more month, he would have had to go on Medicaid and welfare.  Very good timing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

Even if it means forgoing any sweetheart deals like "second passenger flies free".  I'd rather have the piece of mind.

Piece of mind is usually worth the money it costs. 

FWIW, the first class tickets I booked last June for a February cruise are now three times what I paid.  Main cabin seats are more expensive now than what I paid.

• Thanks 1