The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

3 hours ago, bgouveia said:

We are cruising transatlantic on the Epic in April, and it will be our first time in the Haven.  We have a Deluxe Owners Suite, so we are really excited.  Any tips or hints beyond the usual that people may have discovered and found handy?  Hoping to meet some great folks and have a blast!  But more specifically, I'm interested to know how you have found the Haven Restaurant on the Epic to be?

I'll be on what I think is the last cruise on the Epic before your TA cruise (we disembark on 4/7), and I've never been on the Epic before, but from what I have learned on this forum, it's one of the best, if not the best, Haven in the NCL fleet. I've been in the Haven on the Getaway, and the restaurant was great, so great that we rarely ate elsewhere. When we did, we regretted it, with the exception of O'Sheehan's because we were in the mood for bar food, and it hit the spot.

49 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

I'll be on what I think is the last cruise on the Epic before your TA cruise (we disembark on 4/7), and I've never been on the Epic before, but from what I have learned on this forum, it's one of the best, if not the best, Haven in the NCL fleet. I've been in the Haven on the Getaway, and the restaurant was great, so great that we rarely ate elsewhere. When we did, we regretted it, with the exception of O'Sheehan's because we were in the mood for bar food, and it hit the spot.

Sailed the Haven last October on the Epic.  It is arguably the best Haven in the fleet.  And, I'd sailed the Haven on the Breakaway, the Getaway, and the Prima, too.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, rbxlady said:

19 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Sailed the Haven last October on the Epic.  It is arguably the best Haven in the fleet.  And, I'd sailed the Haven on the Breakaway, the Getaway, and the Prima, too.

What makes the Epic Haven the best in the fleet? I’ve been on the Bliss in the Haven three times and loved it, especially the Horizon lounge. I just got off the Escape and while I missed the Horizon lounge, I still enjoyed the Haven. 

On 2/10/2024 at 2:21 PM, vinotinto said:

We have a very odd port day in Tortola, where we are in port 6am - 2pm. I believe all aboard will be at 1:30pm.

We are planning on either going to a beach for a couple of hours or take a short tour. We're not staying in the ship. My question is, it doesn't look likely that there will be much open for food in the local beaches early enough, and the excursions also don't include any food. By the time we get back on the ship and get refreshened up, lunch service will have concluded. Have any of you ordered any snacks / room service to take with you out of the ship? If so, did they package it for you, or did you bring stuff to package it. I've sailed many times and always prefer to sample local restaurants and beach bars on my port days, but the timing of this day is super odd and I don't want to find ourselves in a hangry situation. 😉

I would venture a guess that with such an early all aboard time, the Haven Restaurant might extend the hours for lunch that day.  If not, there's always O'Sheehan's or the buffet.  Usually, the local governments prohibit bringing food from the ship ashore but that's something you could clarify with the concierge.

On 2/10/2024 at 2:21 PM, vinotinto said:

We have a very odd port day in Tortola, where we are in port 6am - 2pm. I believe all aboard will be at 1:30pm.

We are planning on either going to a beach for a couple of hours or take a short tour. We're not staying in the ship. My question is, it doesn't look likely that there will be much open for food in the local beaches early enough, and the excursions also don't include any food. By the time we get back on the ship and get refreshened up, lunch service will have concluded. Have any of you ordered any snacks / room service to take with you out of the ship? If so, did they package it for you, or did you bring stuff to package it. I've sailed many times and always prefer to sample local restaurants and beach bars on my port days, but the timing of this day is super odd and I don't want to find ourselves in a hangry situation. 😉

I was on the Escape last week, and the Haven restaurant was not open early for our Tortola port of call. My butler said the night butler could bring anything to the room which was on the continental breakfast menu, but none of the hot foods from the Haven restaurant because it wasn’t open. I eat gluten free, so there’s not much on the continental breakfast menu that I can eat. I had picked up a few boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios from the regular (not Haven) breakfast buffet a few days earlier when my traveling companions wanted to try it out, so I asked for a few cartons of milk to keep in the fridge. My traveling companions ate some almond croissants left over from the day before. The butler brought 6-8 every morning—way too many for the two of them to eat!

With all aboard time of 1:30, there was plenty of time to be seated in the Haven restaurant before they closed at 2. Closing time was not changed. If you need extra time to freshen up after a beach day, ask your butler to bring you whatever type of sandwiches you might like to eat as your afternoon snack. Last week the butler brought BLT’s, PB&J, ham and cheese, and chicken salad on different days. He also brought a cheese platter a few times. 

Don’t worry. Your butler’s job is to ensure that you don’t go hangry!

Edited by Candy Apple 12
  • Thanks 1

The Haven pool area 'snack' menu is usually available 2-5pm on our Joy & Breakaway cruises.   As I recall, it has Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and a Chicken Caesar wrap and fries.    It was a nice late lunch.  Just ask the attendant for a menu.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

The Haven pool area 'snack' menu is usually available 2-5pm on our Joy & Breakaway cruises.   As I recall, it has Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and a Chicken Caesar wrap and fries.    It was a nice late lunch.  Just ask the attendant for a menu.  

If you're on Pr1ma (not sure about other ships), don't you dare ask to get any of the items from the snack menu in the Haven Restaurant. Timing on Pr1ma was from 12 - 4 PM in November. @Goldenknight, how about that pizza from the kid's menu? 😇

Just now, cruiseny4life said:

If you're on Pr1ma (not sure about other ships), don't you dare ask to get any of the items from the snack menu in the Haven Restaurant. Timing on Pr1ma was from 12 - 4 PM in November. @Goldenknight, how about that pizza from the kid's menu? 😇

What happened when you tried? At lunch one day last week on the Escape I saw many orders leave the Haven kitchen destined for the pool area, so I don’t see why you couldn’t request it in the restaurant. 

Just now, Candy Apple 12 said:

What happened when you tried? At lunch one day last week on the Escape I saw many orders leave the Haven kitchen destined for the pool area, so I don’t see why you couldn’t request it in the restaurant. 

First, we asked for the menu from the hostess for the courtyard menu. She said no. We then asked our server if we could order from the courtyard menu. I think it is called snack. I dunno! Anyway, same thing. No can order from inside the restaurant. I suggested he (the husband) go order his chicken wrap and bring it in to eat with me. He didn't want to. We tried again a couple days later with the same answer. That time the husband just ordered off the kid's menu as the hot dog is there. You can get a kid's hot dog, but not a grown up courtyard/snack menu hot dog. No chicken wrap though!

Not sure where the mandate came that one cannot order from the snack menu in the restaurant. Head office. Head Haven chef. Restaurant manager. I was thinking that maybe the items came from a separate kitchen. Sounds like that is opposite of what you saw on Escape. Very interesting (and head scratching).

6 hours ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

What makes the Epic Haven the best in the fleet? I’ve been on the Bliss in the Haven three times and loved it, especially the Horizon lounge. I just got off the Escape and while I missed the Horizon lounge, I still enjoyed the Haven. 

It was the first (real) Have  in the fleet..the blueprint, the Haven that originated the “ship within a ship” concept…and NCL was selling the concept based on the Epic’s Haven on other ships.

Plus, it has been recently refurbished!

Plus, I enjoyed the ${!|? out of it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

It was the first (real) Have  in the fleet..the blueprint, the Haven that originated the “ship within a ship” concept…and NCL was selling the concept based on the Epic’s Haven on other ships.

Plus, it has been recently refurbished!

Plus, I enjoyed the ${!|? out of it!

We will be on her in a 2 BR for the TA in April for our 1st Haven experience and can't wait!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

First, we asked for the menu from the hostess for the courtyard menu. She said no. We then asked our server if we could order from the courtyard menu. I think it is called snack. I dunno! Anyway, same thing. No can order from inside the restaurant. I suggested he (the husband) go order his chicken wrap and bring it in to eat with me. He didn't want to. We tried again a couple days later with the same answer. That time the husband just ordered off the kid's menu as the hot dog is there. You can get a kid's hot dog, but not a grown up courtyard/snack menu hot dog. No chicken wrap though!

Not sure where the mandate came that one cannot order from the snack menu in the restaurant. Head office. Head Haven chef. Restaurant manager. I was thinking that maybe the items came from a separate kitchen. Sounds like that is opposite of what you saw on Escape. Very interesting (and head scratching).

Pull Malicious Compliance:

Pull out your Butler phone in front of them and ask them to get you an item from the snack menu and deliver it to you in the restaurant.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, surfclam2003 said:

We will be on her in a 2 BR for the TA in April for our 1st Haven experience and can't wait!

If interested, my 2BR Haven Suite in the Epic a few months ago.  Long and has some content about planning and of touring European highlights.  But , it also has pics of the ship, the Haven and my cabin!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

If interested, my 2BR Haven Suite in the Epic a few months ago.  Long and has some content about planning and of touring European highlights.  But , it also has pics of the ship, the Haven and my cabin!

I followed the whole time and also your Prima review😊. They were both great. Thank you. Doing the Haven on the Joy in Sept of 25 for Alaska.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JGander said:

Pull Malicious Compliance:

Pull out your Butler phone in front of them and ask them to get you an item from the snack menu and deliver it to you in the restaurant.

Hahahaha I'd be lying if the thought didn't cross my mind. But we don't take the phone out of our suite and despite how I sound on Cruise Critic, I'm not that spiteful in real life. I do like where your mind is though! Hehe

19 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Clicked for the dog pic, stayed for the Haven pics, was not disappointed!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello all,

I have a question regarding room service when staying in a Haven suite.

We upgraded to a Haven penthouse suite for our May Mediterranean 11-night cruise on the Escape and really looking forward to trip. (Thanks again to @Sthrngary and others on this thread for the great information about Haven and encouragement to treat ourselves!)

This is our first NCL cruise and Haven, and I've combed the boards thoroughly, but wasn't clear about Haven room service.  One thread stated that they were not able to order Haven for room service because they were not in the Haven area (I believe they had a Haven Aft Penthouse).

There are a couple of ports where we want to get an early start, and therefore may opt for room service for breakfast.

Question:  Our cabin is not in the Haven proper -- can we get room service from the Haven, or only from the room service menu? And if we can order room service from Haven, is room service available from the Haven only during Haven dining room hours?    (I realize we can get 24 hour room service from the room service menu, but I am asking specifically about Haven room service.)

16 minutes ago, benel204 said:

Hello all,

We upgraded to a Haven penthouse suite for our May Mediterranean 11-night cruise on the Escape and really looking forward to trip. (Thanks again to @Sthrngary and others on this thread for the great information about Haven and encouragement to treat ourselves!)

This is our first NCL cruise and Haven, and I've combed the boards thoroughly, but wasn't clear about Haven room service.  One thread stated that they were not able to order Haven for room service because they were not in the Haven area (I believe they had a Haven Aft Penthouse).

There are a couple of ports where we want to get an early start, and therefore may opt for room service for breakfast.

Question:  Our cabin is not in the Haven proper -- can we get room service from the Haven, or only from the room service menu? And if we can order room service from Haven, is room service available from the Haven only during Haven dining room hours?    (I realize we can get 24 hour room service from the room service menu, but I am asking specifically about Haven room service.)

@benel204 Thank you for the shout out.  Tell your butler and it will be done.  Haven is the Haven regardless of where your Haven room is located.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, benel204 said:

Hello all,

According to our butler on the Escape last week, we couldn’t get Haven breakfast before the Haven restaurant opened. We had a 6:30 AM excursion, and he said the night butler could bring us anything that was on the continental breakfast on the hang tag. Based on this, I’d venture to guess that if the Haven restaurant is closed, you are limited to the regular room service menu. I’d love to hear what others have experienced. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

According to our butler on the Escape last week, we couldn’t get Haven breakfast before the Haven restaurant opened. We had a 6:30 AM excursion, and he said the night butler could bring us anything that was on the continental breakfast on the hang tag. Based on this, I’d venture to guess that if the Haven restaurant is closed, you are limited to the regular room service menu. I’d love to hear what others have experienced. 

You're correct. If the Haven Restaurant is not open, you're not able to get food from the Haven Restaurant. But, yes the butler (night or normal, depending on time) will get you some grub to get you on your way using that hang tag.

An even better option, @benel204 is to talk with your butler the day before (not like 9 PM), but in the late morning/early afternoon. They may be able to provide additional options or at least tell you what the best possible option is for you. You never know what a butler can pull off until you have a conversation with them.

We've had some excellent (not advertised) treats from our butler, because we just happened to mention something we enjoyed. They made it happen without us even requesting it!

@Sthrngary is more than correct - if you're in the Haven, you get Haven perks. I would bet you were talking to someone who was in a non-Haven suite. Only one time have I stayed in the Haven proper (on Pr1ma). I much prefer to be outside the Haven and always receive all the benefits of staying in the Haven, because the room we book is Haven.

Have a most wonderful adventure in your lovely aft suite! Those aft suites are freaking stunning!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

if you're in the Haven, you get Haven perks. I would bet you were talking to someone who was in a non-Haven suite. Only one time have I stayed in the Haven proper (on Pr1ma). I much prefer to be outside the Haven and always receive all the benefits of staying in the Haven, because the room we book is Haven.

Thanks for the information everyone!  We are indeed looking forward to our experience and want to plan ahead as much as possible to take advantage of Haven perks every single day.

It's going to be a busy, port-intensive cruise and I'd like our Haven stay to enhance our overall vacation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an upcoming cruise in early March on the Breakaway. I forgot to make dinner reservations for Ocean Blue and when I called the pre Concierge line all they could do was add me to the waitlist.

And its for the first night of the cruise. If they can’t get us in, would it be too much to ask that the butler serve us a meal from Ocean Blue in our stateroom? Knowing it’s a long and busy turnaround day I don’t want to ask too much. I’d hope I would know upon boarding if they were able to get us a reservation, and if no be able to make the request early enough to give our butler a heads up. I would definitely just ask for all the courses at once and not expect them to serve course by course.

Do you think that’s asking too much?

17 minutes ago, justhappy said:

I have an upcoming cruise in early March on the Breakaway. I forgot to make dinner reservations for Ocean Blue and when I called the pre Concierge line all they could do was add me to the waitlist.

And its for the first night of the cruise. If they can’t get us in, would it be too much to ask that the butler serve us a meal from Ocean Blue in our stateroom? Knowing it’s a long and busy turnaround day I don’t want to ask too much. I’d hope I would know upon boarding if they were able to get us a reservation, and if no be able to make the request early enough to give our butler a heads up. I would definitely just ask for all the courses at once and not expect them to serve course by course.

Not asking too much at all! That's what the butler is there for. You might be able to get a head start on the request by letting the pre-cruise concierge know, but I have a feeling they'd just tell you to let the butler know when you board.

But, I don't think it's a request that's out of bounds or too much at all.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, justhappy said:

@justhappy You are way over thinking this situation. Get to the ship and board first.  Go directly to the Haven Concierge Desk.  If there is a wait, there will be, wait.  It goes fast.  Explain what you want to do and that you were put on waitlist.  I give you a 95% chance of getting your reservation for that first night.  They always hold back reservations and if you are in the Haven, you will have priority.  

I am about to be controversial.  That means I am about to give a very personal opinion.  With that said, here it is.  The butler will serve you from Ocean Blue in courses.  Let him/her do their job.  Second, skip that.  It is NEVER as good having the food brought to your room, ever.  Go to the restaurant.  Have your first night at the Haven Restaurant and look for another night at Ocean Blue if the that night is not available.  Just my humble opinion. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@justhappy You are way over thinking this situation. Get to the ship and board first.  Go directly to the Haven Concierge Desk.  If there is a wait, there will be, wait.  It goes fast.  Explain what you want to do and that you were put on waitlist.  I give you a 95% chance of getting your reservation for that first night.  They always hold back reservations and if you are in the Haven, you will have priority.  

I am about to be controversial.  That means I am about to give a very personal opinion.  With that said, here it is.  The butler will serve you from Ocean Blue in courses.  Let him/her do their job.  Second, skip that.  It is NEVER as good having the food brought to your room, ever.  Go to the restaurant.  Have your first night at the Haven Restaurant and look for another night at Ocean Blue if the that night is not available.  Just my humble opinion. 

Thanks Gary,

I do think my odds are good, and having dinner in the Haven restaurant the first night was my back up plan, if I felt that what I was asking was too much.

Finding another night at Ocean Blue may be a problem though since we have to switch other specialty dinner reservations around. Between Amex, Sapphire status and FAS we have 4 specialty dinners already booked. It’s a spring break cruise so the ship is probably sailing 100+ %.

So first world problems I know, I’m not going to starve for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1