Embarkation Time?

cccmmmm

7 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

That's a pain.  Oh well, we may consider having an excursion then.  If we have to get off anyway, we might as well make the most of it.

We did a walking tour of Brooklyn on our 2019 Caribbean cruise - It was excellent  (Urban Adventures)

Being a resident of Brooklyn and knowing the area near the ship terminal, an area called Court Street & Smith Street from Union Street to Atlantic Avenue is an interesting are to investigate.

Even Montague Street in the Civic Center area 

In the last decade, it has been up and coming with restaurants, shops boutiques etc.. to the Brooklyn Heights crowd. Not that far with a taxi ride.

Even Van Brunt and Columbia Streets outside the terminal gate are interesting stroll to kill some time. 

Glass Blowing Shops, Distillery, BBQ restaurant and a bakery that makes Brooklyn's best Key Lime Pie.

Just some thoughts.

12 minutes ago, techteach said:

We did a great walking tour of Wall Street that included the Federal Reserve.

Because of recent security reasons, a call may be made to see if tours are active at this time.

Conducting business by phone give thought of limitation to the building.

On 5/16/2022 at 9:39 AM, WestonOne said:

That's a pain.  Oh well, we may consider having an excursion then.  If we have to get off anyway, we might as well make the most of it.

Another aspect has just struck me.  The Cunard port guide says to go ashore in New York I need an on-board covid test. Will I still need this if I didn't want to get off in the first place, so am just sat waiting to get back on?
image.png.88ae4e1349ae9397fde9d77c80d93e25.png

Edited by WestonOne

12 hours ago, WestonOne said:

Will I still need this if I didn't want to get off in the first place

I'd say "yes". You may not want to get off, but everyone has to disembark in NYC. So you'll be entering the USA, even if it's under duress. In December the Queens Room was repurposed as a testing center. Everyone got tested.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, frankp01 said:

I'd say "yes". 

I agree that I will probably need a test.  In fact, to avoid hassle, I will anyway.

The question arose because in airports at least, the area after you disembark and before you go through immigration is treated somewhat differently to the rest of the country.  I am not sure of the situation in sea ports.  But I will take the test just to avoid the unexpected!

3 hours ago, WestonOne said:

in airports at least, the area after you disembark and before you go through immigration is treated somewhat differently

Yes, airports have international transit zones, where it's possible to change flights without clearing immigration. But the point of forcing everyone to disembark in NYC is to make them go through immigration. I doubt that, even at the height of ocean travel, there would have been an isolated transit zone.

Eastbound that's not an issue because everyone clears UK immigration enroute.

1 minute ago, frankp01 said:

Eastbound that's not an issue because everyone clears UK immigration enroute.

But only if they are intending to disembark in Southampton, I fancy.  The US and perhaps Singapore are among the few countries that insist you get off and go through immigration, even if you have no desire to enter the place. Any idea why?

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

But only if they are intending to disembark in Southampton, I fancy.  The US and perhaps Singapore are among the few countries that insist you get off and go through immigration, even if you have no desire to enter the place. Any idea why?

It is one of the silly anomalies when you arrive in New York on roundtrip TA if you do not intend to get off the ship that they force you to get off go through security and customs and then you have to wait to get back onboard. A rule I have never had to do anywhere else and do not understand why it is done. There have been cases where recently people onboard QM2 who are in isolation due to covid they still send security onboard to check details. Total stupidity.

On 5/16/2022 at 4:39 AM, WestonOne said:

If the weather is decent, you might want to do it yourself: very short walk to the ferry across to Wall Street area - a lot to see, good places for lunch, then head back and quickly re-board as a round trip passenger.  Excursion would be expensive and require a lot of time on bus, waiting for others, etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Any idea why?

No idea. There must be some reason, but I couldn't find anything published. You'd need to talk to someone at Homeland Security or Border Patrol for the inside scoop. There's a chief engineer for one of the cruise lines who's on these boards (ChengKP75). While not in his area of responsibility, I wonder if he had any idea.