Live from Le Commandant Charcot - The Ross Sea 2022

Sitti

I hope it was ok to start a new thread for sharing information on Charcot on this particular voyage. 

I have just arrived in Santiago at 1:15am today and met very nice Ponant staff at the airport. I was taken to Ritz-Carlton that Ponant prepared.  It was very exhausting flying all the way from Bangkok. At least I have 1 whole day in this hotel to rest. Anyway, all the covid procedures at the airport were long. I wasn't expecting lines would be that long during midnight. It took 2.5 hours to go through and collect my baggage. 

@cboyle, you're probably on your way. Have a nice flight and safe travel.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gogo65 said:

So excited you made it Sitti!

Good to hear you made it through the challenging Chile covid procedures.

Cant wait to hear all about it.

Thank you gogo. Just got a result of my pcr test. It was negative.

Ponant is making all passengers to take another PCR test at the hotel. I think it is required by Punta Arenas authorities. And received a letter explaining procedures for departure tomorrow. Only problem is my letter came in French. And I don't speak French at all lol. But Google Translate helped me understood.

I think it's Ponant, not the hotel, I was given free lunch. I guess this is for passenger who haven't received their negative result to go outside.

20220215_120440.jpg

20220215_120447.jpg

• Like 2

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Live from Le Commandant Charcot - The Ross Sea 2022
14 hours ago, Sitti said:

I hope it was ok to start a new thread for sharing information on Charcot on this particular voyage. 

I have just arrived in Santiago at 1:15am today and met very nice Ponant staff at the airport. I was taken to Ritz-Carlton that Ponant prepared.  It was very exhausting flying all the way from Bangkok. At least I have 1 whole day in this hotel to rest. Anyway, all the covid procedures at the airport were long. I wasn't expecting lines would be that long during midnight. It took 2.5 hours to go through and collect my baggage. 

@cboyle, you're probably on your way. Have a nice flight and safe travel.

@Sittiwe got in at 7 a.m. this morning (15th) and it took us 2 hours from plane to luggage. The Ponant reps who met us said we were much it usually takes at least 3 hours. 

Once at the hotel we checked in with the Ponant hospitality desk and were able to get our PCRs for Ponant done even though it was a half hour before the official testing time. I have gotten my negative result from the airport test, but John is still waiting for his. 

The welcome letter we got was in English. They probably had copies in other languages in addition to French. 

We were up in our room relaxing when lunch arrived at about 10:40 a.m. We got double of everything you did except only one chocolate cake. We were told everyone would get the same thing for lunch and dinner unless you had some special need (e.g., gluten free).

An hour or so later, room service came by again wanting to know how many tea services we wanted this afternoon.  We didn't want anymore food, so declined. Someone who took tea could comment on what it included. 

Dinner is supposed to be brought at 7 p.m. and there will be a go-to breakfast in the lobby area tomorrow at 4 a.m. We will probably have the fresh fruit and the cereal bars from lunch instead of the box breakfast. 

I hear dishes clattering out in the hall, so maybe that is the dinner signal. We hope there is some wine, but probably not.

I know you mist be much more tired than us with all you flight legs, so rest up so you can enjoy the rest of the trip.

Edited by cboyle
  • Like 2

After 2 days of going through Drake Passage, which I was quite seasick and somehow managed to get used to it by second day, we're now sailing through calm sea and starting to see little ice. We're currently heading to Charcot Island. On the way we spotted some whales. Captain slowed down and temporarily turned the ship toward the whales giving us a few chances to see them. 

DSC_1576.jpg

DSC_1582.jpg

DSC_1587.jpg

Edited by Sitti
  • Like 3

While we still have reliable and "fast" internet for now, I better upload some more photos I have taken. Captain has warned us we'll lose current satellite coverage when we go deeper. We will then have coverage of different satellites which are really slow and only useful for emails and messages.

Here is pics I took on the day I got on the ship.

INNEQ BAR:

20220216_164259.jpg

20220216_164336.jpg

20220216_164348.jpg

• Like 2

Enjoy those relaxing sea days more it’s getting busy! And nice to see that the cruise director from my Antartica trip is still working for Ponant and is now on the flagship

would you mind sharing a menu at some point to see if there is any difference to the other cruises? 

agree that the yellow jackets aren’t the best color, they also use yellow for the NatGeo trips (without the fake fur) 

• Like 1