Sydney, Canada

takemeaway2008

We are on the NCL Pearl and will be in Sydney on August 29.  We want to visit both Louisbourg and Baddeck but NCL doesn't offer excursions that visit both and I cant find a car rental (weird).  Any suggestions?

3 hours ago, lilaw88 said:

We are on the NCL Pearl and will be in Sydney on August 29.  We want to visit both Louisbourg and Baddeck but NCL doesn't offer excursions that visit both and I cant find a car rental (weird).  Any suggestions?

There are no car rentals anywhere because of short ages of cars and parts

You might look into the Sydney Taxi Tour company

I am emailing with them for our cruise stop on Sept 6

They seem very responsive

16 hours ago, lilaw88 said:

I think if you do both, you wont really have enough time at either. Baddeck and Louisbourg are in opposite directions from Sydney. You would be looking at about a total of 3 hours driving time if you don't hit any traffic delays.

I see that your ship is in port from 9 to 5 which means all aboard at 4:30. That would give you at max, 2 hours in each spot.

I would pick one. if you do Louisbourg, you could visit the fortress, have lunch in town and then drive up to light house point. It is a beautiful spot and there is a 1 km hiking loop there if you were so inclined.

For Baddeck, The Bell museum is worth a visit and then lunch and walk through town. You could possibly stop at the Gaelic college , there are often pipers there in the summer.

If you get back early, there is a nice boardwalk to stroll along in Sydney, before returning to the ship.

Lois

18 hours ago, lilaw88 said:

From my experience visiting both with the limited time you have would force a rushing situation where you might not fully explore each site. We visited Baddeck, had a rental car, and we ended up pushing the envelope when fully exploring one area. It gets tiring driving around for a lot of that time and you have to realize you are way out there where a small problem can mitigate your returning to the ship. 

On 3/15/2022 at 2:09 PM, Super Curly said:

Thanks for the advice. We are due there on a Tuesday. I'm wondering traffic direction-wise whether to start at Baddek or Louisbourg.

After all the recommendations and further review, we are just going to go to Baddek first. If we have extra time, we'll go to Highland Village via the long way back. I don't want to rush at a place that sounds so great.