Debarkation and flights

uncleg

Going on a cruise for my Honeymoon, leave on April 17th and return on April 23, Port Canaveral , Carnival Magic.  Its been a while since I have been on a cruise, so I really do not remember how long it will take to get off the ship.   What is a the best time to book our return flight? 

For Port Canaveral I always look at flights11:30 am or later.  There are times we could have made an earlier flight, but we have to fly all the way across the country, with at least one connection, so the thought of missing a flight out of Florida stresses me out.

And even with an 11:30 flight, we take advantage of priority debarkation and get off the ship as soon as possible.  

Edited by csm5986142

I personally wouldn’t book a flight from MCO until at least after 12 Noon. The ride alone from Port Canaveral is close to one hour. You can easily spend up to an hour or more on the security checkpoint line. The later the better for any flights out of MCO, especially on weekends.

• Like 1

I would feel fine with booking anything after noon.  However, I would also feel comfortable booking something after 11:00 if I planned on taking my own luggage off of the ship.  I have pre-check, so that helps at the airport.  We usually use carry-on luggage only, so we don't have to wait to check in luggage.  

So, take into account whether or not you want to carry your luggage off of the ship, the type of transportation used to the airport (the cruise ship is the slowest), whether or not you have to check in luggage at the airport, and if you have pre-check.

On my last cruise out of Port Canaveral, I was at the Orlando airport before 8:30 am.

Book a return flight for the next day.

Stay on the ship as late as you can. Calmly leave the ship. Make your way into Orlando at a relaxing pace. Check into a hotel. Relax by the pool with a cozy drink. Have another romantic dinner. Calmly get up the next morning and catch your return flight back to reality.

• Like 1

Point to remember is travel insurance will not compensate you for missed flights if you book a return flight before the cruise line recommended times.  MCO can be the worst for security and baggage drop off because of the Disney crowds and large numbers of kids.