Move Up Bid Amounts

5waldos

Are the amounts listed for bidding the same for everyone? Or are they different depending, for example, on what your current category is? If I am in an OV, would I have the same options offered as someone in a veranda or an aqua class? 

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

They are different depending on the class of room you have.   For example if you have an inside cabin and bidding on and Aqua your minimum bid amount would be more than  someone in a Veranda bidding on an Aqua.  

That seems logical and I have always wondered.  I have always suspected they consider your current category when deciding which bid to accept.  (Considering what they can get for your vacated cabin).

Are you sure about your statement?  I would think that having different bid ranges depending on your cabin category or what you paid would be difficult to manage.  (A lot of work)

Thanks

Also noticed that Celebrity added a red print notice of 30% off to the bids yet the range was exactly the same as before (probably was always what they consider 30% off).

So just make a note of the differences on the very day you book to see it the offers are better than what you had that first day...

I can tell you on an upcoming trip we have, I compared bid amounts with someone on the same trip, but in a different level cabin.

We are sailing on the Reflection in a PH and they are in a Signature Suite. The bid range for us to move to the Reflection Suite was $1,000-2,500.  The bid for them was $2,500-6,000.

1 hour ago, garyl62 said:

I can tell you on an upcoming trip we have, I compared bid amounts with someone on the same trip, but in a different level cabin.

We are sailing on the Reflection in a PH and they are in a Signature Suite. The bid range for us to move to the Reflection Suite was $1,000-2,500.  The bid for them was $2,500-6,000.

That is some very compiling evidence.  

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

That seems logical and I have always wondered.  I have always suspected they consider your current category when deciding which bid to accept.  (Considering what they can get for your vacated cabin).

Are you sure about your statement?  I would think that having different bid ranges depending on your cabin category or what you paid would be difficult to manage.  (A lot of work)

Thanks

Yea.. pretty positive as I've seen it many times in the Move-Up sticky.  

It is pretty easy for Celebrity as they don't actually manage it.  It is a strap on app from a vendor that are also used by many airlines to bid for upgrades.

It's a revenue Management Tool and many things go into the logarithm. 

I don't think they take the cruise fare you paid in a specif cabin type into consideration, but If you and I both had a Celebrity Suite, we would have the same min/max bid amounts for an upgrade to a RS or PS, while someone in a Sky Suite would have a different Min/Max and would be able to bid for a CS, RS and PS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yea.. pretty positive as I've seen it many times in the Move-Up sticky.  

It is pretty easy for Celebrity as they don't actually manage it.  It is a strap on app from a vendor that are also used by many airlines to bid for upgrades.

It's a revenue Management Tool and many things go into the logarithm. 

I don't think they take the cruise fare you paid in a specif cabin type into consideration, but If you and I both had a Celebrity Suite, we would have the same min/max bid amounts for an upgrade to a RS or PS, while someone in a Sky Suite would have a different Min/Max and would be able to bid for a CS, RS and PS.

Makes a lot of sense.  Thank you.  

8 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Thanks

Yes and No re: "a lot of work". They aren't doing this manually or via a spreadsheet... I work in software, and one of our products is procurement software. This is configured very much like a typical procurement auction. They will determine the items to be bid on (cabin type, count of each, etc), set bid mins based on either the true lowest acceptable value or the current lowest bid value, and then each of the "bids' will be weighted by factors for current cabin type/payment/discounts (likely a net value), possibly also things like loyalty rank as well.. then they will likely just run a scenario in the software which will go down the list with the highest to lowest ranking bids and award against the open "inventory" of cabins. I assume they do it in multiple "rounds".. adjusting inventory based on new bookings, allowing people to move up and then reviewing new bids in lower categories, etc until they are finished.This can all be done with a few clicks and results output for viewing/confirmation. It very common and quite simple, in reality. 🙂