WestJet - 737 Max 8 Aircraft

cdn_tbird

I was looking to book the flights to FLL or MIA for our Nov. cruise and noticed that for either route one of the flights is on a 737 Max 8. Wondering how people feel about flying on a Max 8. I've done a ton of flying especially in my last job so the logical side of me says it's no big deal but then the irrational side thinks of the stigma.

We flew Westjet 737 Max 8 to Fll in December without any issues.  Last week we flew Air Canada to Barbados, they had advertised that flight on a 787 but changed it to a 737 for weekday flights (think they are using 787 on weekends).  The flight itself was  fine; however, we actually thought the seats on Westjet were slightly more comfortable!  What with all the Covid related issues/requirements the actual aircraft used did not play as much into our thinking as it might have in pre Covid times.

16 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

I was looking to book the flights to FLL or MIA for our Nov. cruise and noticed that for either route one of the flights is on a 737 Max 8. Wondering how people feel about flying on a Max 8. I've done a ton of flying especially in my last job so the logical side of me says it's no big deal but then the irrational side thinks of the stigma.

I still get squeamish thinking about flying on one, but like you, the logical side tells me there is absolutely nothing to worry about, and that they are as safe as any jet. I'm also a nervous flyer so its no surprise that I would worry, no matter what plane I am on. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

I would not be any more concerned than any airline.

Boeing fixed the issues.  The US regulator redid their assessment.  The other regulators (Europe, Canada etc.) would normally accept each others certification.  They did not in this case and also did their detailed assessment.  This is now probably one of the most well reviewed aircraft design flying.

Both AC and WS are solid operators with a strong safety program and culture. 

• Like 3

My husband and I flew on a Max 8 out to California to visit our grandchildren and before we left, I asked my cousin, who is a retired Air Canada pilot, about the safety of the Max 8.  He said it is one of the best aircraft out there and not to worry.  I felt better after getting his opinion.

• Like 3

Like others here, I try to avoid this particular jet. My head says this is crazy, but it is difficult to let go of my hesitation. If it was the only way to get somewhere, I might be able to do it, but if there is a choice, I opt for the choice.

I was a frequent business traveler for more years than I'd care to remember, I rarely if ever even bothered to see what my scheduled aircraft was.  I don't travel much for business anymore usually only leisure but the same thing applies to me.  I never even check.  I try and never worry or be concerned about things like that.  I do 100% get that there are those that do.

• Like 1

We flew to Miami in December.  Originally booked on Air Canada Rouge, but the aircraft was changed ‘at the last minute’ to a Max 8.  DW was not happy at all, as she, like some of you, is not a comfortable flyer at the best of times.  But, this was our only option so we gritted our teeth and proceeded.  We chose seats towards the front of the aircraft, that had a higher price tag and suggested better leg room, although they were not bulkhead or exit row.  They did indeed have much better legroom, so that was a bonus that partially made up for the angst of flying on a Max 8.  We flew and landed safely 😊.

We flew a max 8 just before the second fatal crash happened. I remember getting on the flight and noticing it was a brand new plane and saw Max 8 on the seat pocket safety card.  I remember that because I never heard of that plane before. I cringe when I think about what could have happened. 

On 2/23/2022 at 1:10 PM, CarolR said:

We flew a max 8 just before the second fatal crash happened. I remember getting on the flight and noticing it was a brand new plane and saw Max 8 on the seat pocket safety card.  I remember that because I never heard of that plane before. I cringe when I think about what could have happened. 

We arrived in Hawaii on a max 8 3 days before the 2nd crash. There was a mad scramble by the airline to get an aircraft for our trip home as the 8's were doing the Hawaii runs. Scary to think looking back now.