Russian Sanctions to include cruise business?

mmcguir

While our thoughts and actions turn to helping the people of Ukraine,  I assume sanctions against Russia will include terminating leisure travel, including cruise activity, in Russia. Also, I would think cruise lines may take action on their own for safety reasons. 

• Like 1

If they disconnect Russia from SWIFT banking system there would be no way for cruise ships to pay vendors for docking, fuel, shore excursions etc without handing over large sums of cash; yes, I think all of our Russian port visits this summer will be cancelled.  Explorer to Black Sea in May I think will be the first casualty.

Marc

• Like 2

I think people have forgotten what a world war looks like and while we haven't gotten to that point yet it is not far fetched how things can escalate out of control.  We are witnessing mar 15th 1939 all over again and China hasn't even made their moves yet.  Frankly Cruising may be cancelled in many areas if not completely.  This was preventable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

During earnings call this morning FdR said many times that even if St Petersburg calls are cancelled ships would still sail in Baltic/Scandinavia and there are alternative overnight ports so length, embarkation port, and debarkation ports would not change.

• Like 2

Just received an email from Regent regarding our  Explorer cruise in the Med./Black Sea 10/07/2022.

"Due to the escalated situation between Russia and Ukraine we have made the decision to modify the course of your upcoming voyage and will be removing Odessa, Ukraine from the itinerary.  We are currently working to confirm a revised itinerary and will provide updates once we have more information." 

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

Regent is pulling Russia off all cruises effective now.

Have received no email yet for my July Fjords/Baltic cruise, but I'm guessing they'll take their time tweaking the itinerary.  For me, SPG was not the highlight of the trip, so I'm hopeful they will add more fjord days, and perhaps lower the price a bit.

2 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

😁  right, we can hope but ain’t going to happen. 

It better happen.  In our case I think St. Petersburg is the highlight for most Baltic itineraries, and a costly port for Regent. If they don't reduce the price a bit, people will cancel in droves.

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

If they disconnect Russia from SWIFT banking system there would be no way for cruise ships to pay vendors for docking, fuel, shore excursions etc without handing over large sums of cash; yes, I think all of our Russian port visits this summer will be cancelled.  Explorer to Black Sea in May I think will be the first casualty.

Marc

Biden has now said they will not disconnect from SWIFT with today’s newest sanctions due to the objections of some European countries. Moot point now for Regent cruises this year.

Edited by Pudgesmom

We have lost five Russian ports and there were two sea days getting to the White Sea ports; I sure hope they substitute something good.  Unlike Wendy, I do not expect any monetary compensation (not even shipboard credit).

Marc

Received this morning at 11:30

safety and security of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our top priority. Due to the escalated situation between Russia and Ukraine we have made the decision to modify the course of your upcoming voyage and will be removing St. Petersburg, Russia from the itinerary.  We are currently working to confirm a revised itinerary and will provide updates once we have more information. 

On behalf of our entire Regent Family, we want to express our sincere thanks and appreciation for your continued patronage, loyalty, and understanding. We appreciate you choosing to cruise with Regent Seven Seas Cruises and we will continue to keep you updated with any developments as they arise.  

Rebui

Sincerely,

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

we will be canceling this cruise. Not just because of St Petersburg but because I fear Putin is trying to rebuild his empire and several ports may be in his long term plans.  I’m mad at myself for not taking this trip several years ago. Life kept getting in the way. We had bad timing on Cuba as well.  

Supposed to be sailing on Splendor this June. Baltic cruise with two nights in St Petersburg. Received the cancellation letter of Russia ports this morning. This cruise has been canceled two years in a row by Regent due to Covid. We’ve been told by Regent if we choose to cancel this cruise for any reason we must use the cruise credit by December 2022. No refund. 

Scheduled on our first Regent Cruise to the Baltics in June. Tried to do a Baltics trip in June 2020 that was cancelled due to COVID. St. Petersburg is obviously the highlight on this trip. We are very disappointed about cancelling this port, but certainly understand the reasons why. I have a few questions:

1) Any ideas on what ports Regent will add and when they will inform us? Many of the other ports on this trip are not that exciting for us, so I hope they replace it with a marquee port. Of course, people will have different interpretations over what this will mean, but I would prefer one with lots of culture that Regent might do an overnight on just like they were planning to do in St Petersburg. 

2) Given the elimination of the main (and overnight port), would Regent offer any incentives to not cancel, such as a discount?

3) Our cruise already looked pretty empty due to COVID. I imagine that many people will cancel without St. Petersburg. Would Regent cancel the entire voyage if there were too few passengers?

We booked our air independently, and only have a limited window to travel in the summer, so I wonder if it makes sense to look at alternative trips. We are excited to try Regent, but am worried the trip will not happen or will be full of mediocre ports.

We have done 2 Baltic cruises on Regent.

St Petersburg is definitely the highlight of the cruise.  So many amazing excursions to do there. The other ports are interesting depending what you do there. On our last Baltic cruise we did the excursion to Moscow. It was a very long day but worth going. I would recommend when choosing a Itinerary for a Baltic cruise select one that spends 3 days in St Petersburg.

Received an email today from RSSC indicating a change in the itinerary for our Baltic cruise in September (Splendor from Stockholm to London).  I am waiting to see what is being substituted for St. Petersburg.  

If the other countries are still accepting cruise ships, it still makes the trip worthwhile.  I will miss St. Petersburg stop, but I am sure there will be some interesting stops.  

This trip has been rescheduled from 2020.  We were suppose to take a Baltic cruise for our 40th Anniversary.  We hope that we do not have to reschedule this one...again...

15 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

We have done 2 Baltic cruises on Regent.

St Petersburg is definitely the highlight of the cruise.  So many amazing excursions to do there. The other ports are interesting depending what you do there. On our last Baltic cruise we did the excursion to Moscow. It was a very long day but worth going. I would recommend when choosing a Itinerary for a Baltic cruise select one that spends 3 days in St Petersburg.

I imagine it will be a long time until anyone is able to take your advice.

• Like 2

I also received an email about St Petersburg being eliminated from my September Splendor cruise. I am fine with not putting money into the Russian economy in these circumstances. This is hardly the first time ports have been eliminated due to situations in the world, and it won’t be the last.  I don’t know yet what will be substituted—Regent may choose to avoid the region altogether. 

We are merely inconvenienced. Ukraine is devastated.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

I also received an email about St Petersburg being eliminated from my September Splendor cruise. I am fine with not putting money into the Russian economy in these circumstances. This is hardly the first time ports have been eliminated due to situations in the world, and it won’t be the last.  I don’t know yet what will be substituted—Regent may choose to avoid the region altogether. 

We are merely inconvenienced. Ukraine is devastated.

Completely agree with your thoughts.    Jean.

• Like 3