Just off the Sunshine

Painter4me

We haven’t cruised in Carnival in at least 15 yrs and of that 15, we took a 12 yr hiatus. After retiring to SC, we thought we’d give Carnival a try seeing the Sunshine sails out of Charleston. It would be great to be so close to the port and be able to do a monthly cruise. This ship is dirty, smells like raw sewage when you walk down the halls. They only provide room cleaning.refreshing once daily. I have to say the only food that was half way decent was the baked potato and the soft serve ice cream. It was the first cruise in 20+ that we lost weight on. I’d say 98% of the staff were professional and pleasant. Carnival’s Covid policy was lacking, unlike Royal and NCL.  Tables weren’t cleaned between people using them. They did enforce the masks in restaurants most of the time.

Unfortunately, no other cruise lines sail out of this port and never will because of noise ordinances and the locals not wanting a ship in their town. What they fail to realize is, many of these passengers bring revenue to the city by staying in hotels, eating in restaurants and shopping there. Not to mention all the locals Who now work at the pier when the ships are coming in or leaving.  We’ll continue to drive the extra distance down to Port Canaveral for better ships, multiple lines and multiple routes. 

• Like 1

You're the second person I've read on here today that said the Sunshine is dirty/in poor repair. It's disappointing to hear because she just came out of a drydock in November.

Although I do think we'll disagree on the food, but I'll see on Monday when I embark for a 7-day cruise. I've never found Carnival's food to be lacking - and I don't expect any different next week.

The thing is the Sunshine is pretty much the best ship that Carnival can put in Charleston with their current agreement with the city.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Painter4me said:

Carnival’s Covid policy was lacking, unlike Royal and NCL.  Tables weren’t cleaned between people using them. They did enforce the masks in restaurants most of the time.

Mask requirements on most cruise lines are going away within the next few days/weeks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have sailed on the Sunshine twice. It’s not the newest ship and rust happens on all cruise ships, even new ones. We enjoyed both of our cruises in August and November of 2019.

As for food, very subjective.  We did not care for the buffet. Sea Day Brunch was very good. Best Filet and eggs on any ship.  We tend to eat in the specialty restaurants most nights. Steakhouse was ok, Asian restaurant and Italian restaurant were awesome. 

As for cleaning cabins once a day, since Covid, standard practice. 

Ship may look a little old to you, but I would bet it is clean. Never a sewage smell. 

We have sailed on MSC, Princess and Carnival. All 3 lines offer something different. We have a cruise booked on the Sunshine March 14, 2022.  Looking forward to it. 

Edited by eagletwo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mz-s said:

You're the second person I've read on here today that said the Sunshine is dirty/in poor repair. It's disappointing to hear because she just came out of a drydock in November.

Although I do think we'll disagree on the food, but I'll see on Monday when I embark for a 7-day cruise. I've never found Carnival's food to be lacking - and I don't expect any different next week.

The thing is the Sunshine is pretty much the best ship that Carnival can put in Charleston with their current agreement with the city.

I never had a problem with food on Carnival before, but this was beyond bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just got off The Sunshine yesterday. Hated to leave her! Idk where the "dirty" comes from? Or the sewage smell? Or the not good Food? Or anything else... Seriously, It sounds like we were on 2 different Ships. Our cabin #9115 was immaculate after every time our Steward cleaned/straightened up. Same with the balcony. Actually even better taken care of since our last cruise 8/20 when the  C- word stopped us from sailing until 2/22. We weren't too excited over the Lido buffet, but the MDR service AND food were pretty good to us... I'm sorry y'all had such a dismal experience on her, especially b/c we had an absolute blast. The ONLY thing I semi-whined about. Lol Actually both of us, to each other, was having our favorite Bahamas time on Half Moon Cay switched out for Bimini. Eh stuff happens. It was Amazing sailing at only 70% capacity! Yeah to NO Crowds! Haha, it sure spoiled me😁

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, CruisinTrkrs3 said:

We just got off The Sunshine yesterday. Hated to leave her! Idk where the "dirty" comes from? Or the sewage smell? Or the not good Food? Or anything else... Seriously, It sounds like we were on 2 different Ships. Our cabin #9115 was immaculate after every time our Steward cleaned/straightened up. Same with the balcony. Actually even better taken care of since our last cruise 8/20 when the  C- word stopped us from sailing until 2/22. We weren't too excited over the Lido buffet, but the MDR service AND food were pretty good to us... I'm sorry y'all had such a dismal experience on her, especially b/c we had an absolute blast. The ONLY thing I semi-whined about. Lol Actually both of us, to each other, was having our favorite Bahamas time on Half Moon Cay switched out for Bimini. Eh stuff happens. It was Amazing sailing at only 70% capacity! Yeah to NO Crowds! Haha, it sure spoiled me😁

I hope the No Crowds / 70% capacity can hold on for a few more days. I board her on Monday!

My Thanksgiving cruise on Freedom last year was almost eerie in how empty it was sometimes. Never having to wait for an elevator on a holiday cruise was amazing. I don't expect it again.

18 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I hope the No Crowds / 70% capacity can hold on for a few more days. I board her on Monday!

My Thanksgiving cruise on Freedom last year was almost eerie in how empty it was sometimes. Never having to wait for an elevator on a holiday cruise was amazing. I don't expect it again.

Yeaaay! I'll do THE Keep The Count to 70% dance tonight! Lol I've been doing it since we got off Sunshine yesterday anyway for our Feb Cruise!😉

Edited by CruisinTrkrs3
Edited for addendum.

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

At least they put the Sunshine there. For a while it was the Fantasy and Ecstasy, two of the oldest ships. The Fantasy doesn't exist anymore and I think the Ecstasy is on its way out. 

But yeah, there has always been opposition from the "old money" Charleston residents about having Carnival sail out of CHS. A lot of NIMBY's. Some of their complaints are valid, but a lot are them just being stubborn and trying to use their money/power to get what they want. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SC2020 said:

At least they put the Sunshine there. For a while it was the Fantasy and Ecstasy, two of the oldest ships. The Fantasy doesn't exist anymore and I think the Ecstasy is on its way out. 

But yeah, there has always been opposition from the "old money" Charleston residents about having Carnival sail out of CHS. A lot of NIMBY's. Some of their complaints are valid, but a lot are them just being stubborn and trying to use their money/power to get what they want. 

Yes, Ecstasy will be sold by year's end. I will miss her, as I miss Fantasy.

I think their complaints would hold more weight if they weren't in Charleston. Charleston has been a shipping city for longer than most cities in this country have existed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

MZ-S, we will be sailing with you.  Glad to see others had some positive comments. 

4 hours ago, CruisinTrkrs3 said:

I am glad to hear you enjoyed Sunshine. We will be on her in June. Why did you have to switch out Half Moon Cay for Bimini?  Was it weather related?  I really hope we get to go to Half Moon Cay. It is heaven on earth. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, momin05 said:

I am glad to hear you enjoyed Sunshine. We will be on her in June. Why did you have to switch out Half Moon Cay for Bimini?  Was it weather related?  I really hope we get to go to Half Moon Cay. It is heaven on earth. 

We love her, Sunshine 🌞 is definitely a top ship for us for shorter cruises. I'm thinking it couldn't be because of the weather,  we were notified almost 2 weeks before sail date which was 2/19. Someone else on at that time might know, but we never even actually asked. No worries,  it was an awesome as usual cruise just as I know yours will be too, should you get switched. I'll keep my fingers crossed that y'all get to go to HMC🤗

On 2/25/2022 at 4:03 PM, mz-s said:

Please do report back, as we are on Sunshine the following week.  

23 hours ago, mz-s said:

We were hesitant to sail her.. We have sailed Princess, Celebrity, RCL, Holland and CCL. We really enjoyed sailing on the Sunshine and have more trips scheduled on her. We really enjoyed all the dining options. Try Ji Ji.s, this is one of a few ships that have this concept.  Go visit Dusan and Zoltan at the Alchemy bar and they will mix you a  magical drink! Over all Enjoy your Cruise. 

Edited by freewilly
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, freewilly said:

We were hesitant to sail her.. We have sailed Princess, Celebrity, RCL, Holland and CCL. We really enjoyed sailing on the Sunshine and have more trips scheduled on her. We really enjoyed all the dining options. Try Ji Ji.s, this is one of a few ships that have this concept.  Go visit Dusan and Zoltan at the Alchemy bar and they will mix you a  magical drink! Over all Enjoy your Cruise. 

Is Jijis still open for lunch at no charge?

On 2/25/2022 at 5:30 PM, CruisinTrkrs3 said:

They said they have not sailed carnival in 15 years .Carnival was much nicer then. Now not that great. We jumped ship after our third carnival cruise and never regretted it. 

3 hours ago, CruisinTrkrs3 said:

We love her, Sunshine 🌞 is definitely a top ship for us for shorter cruises. I'm thinking it couldn't be because of the weather,  we were notified almost 2 weeks before sail date which was 2/19. Someone else on at that time might know, but we never even actually asked. No worries,  it was an awesome as usual cruise just as I know yours will be too, should you get switched. I'll keep my fingers crossed that y'all get to go to HMC🤗

What a sweet response!  Thank you!  I thought maybe since HMC is a tender port and Bimini has a dock, they changed at the last minute due to weather rather than just skip a port.  

Did you enjoy Bimini?  We had planned on a cruise last August that was going there so I did a little research. But we canceled and I haven’t kept up with Bimini since then. 

2 hours ago, scpirate said:

They said they have not sailed carnival in 15 years .Carnival was much nicer then. Now not that great. We jumped ship after our third carnival cruise and never regretted it. 

That is true, Carnival has changed a lot in the past 15 years.

Love, love, love the Sunshine. An oldie but a Goldie. The three deck serenity area is second to none, JiJi’s and the Italian restaurants are great. Havana bar is also unique including Cuban canapés. Great outdoor promenade.  And best yet, a $20 Uber drive from our home. Looking forward to our 5th or 6th trip. 

• Like 2

I sailed on Sunshine when it was "brand new" during it's Mediterranean Tour before it came to the States. I fell in love with that ship and it's Serenity Deck.

I just had the pleasure of sailing on her first trip out of dry dock on December 19th when it came to the rescue if Horizon saving my Christmas Cruise. It's not in the shape it was back when I was on her in Europe but it's still a great ship. The waterfall on Serenity looks a little shabby all these years later but the ship is in great condition.  Of course I was on the first sailing out of dry dock but the ship was very clean. Our suite wasn't up to the Vista Class standards bit was still nice. The crew was great.

I'd sail on her again if given the opportunity. 

On 2/26/2022 at 5:13 PM, mz-s said:

Is Jijis still open for lunch at no charge?

Yes, with the Mongolian Wok type fare. It's normally really good but, wife's serving on 12/26 cruise, they were heavy handed with the sauce and she couldn't finish it. The wok fare at JiJis and the pasta bar at Cucina are beside the other, aft of the Lido buffet. Convenient location to mix and match.

• Like 1