Bermuda Railway Trail

shipgeeks

A wonderful way to spend part of a day.  I've hiked most of the available segments.  The trail has several segments, but they do not all connect unfortunately.  A delightful hike of a few segments that do connect is from just past the Aquarium to the caves area. Wonderful views of the coastline.  There's available information on google about these and the other segments but feel free to ask any questions you have and I'll try to answer them. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 6:20 PM, shipgeeks said:

Have you hiked any or all of the Railway Trail?  Looks like an interesting way to spend part of a day.

I biked it from the Dockyard to Hamilton.  Some sections are really nice, tree covered and canopied.  Other parts you're out on the main road and there's not much shoulder to separate you from the traffic.  Though on the ride down through Front Street I felt safer than most of the parts on the road.  The drivers gave me room.

Have water with you, there aren't many places to stop outside of town.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, billslowsky said:

I biked it from the Dockyard to Hamilton.  Some sections are really nice, tree covered and canopied.  Other parts you're out on the main road and there's not much shoulder to separate you from the traffic.  Though on the ride down through Front Street I felt safer than most of the parts on the road.  The drivers gave me room.

Have water with you, there aren't many places to stop outside of town.

How far from Dockyard is the closest access?  

Edited by shipgeeks
add

8 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

How far from Dockyard is the closest access?  

I'm thinking it was just across that "world's smallest drawbridge" that it veered from the main road.  I biked from the dockyard to get there, there was a sign plus I had a map.

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

I'm thinking it was just across that "world's smallest drawbridge" that it veered from the main road.  I biked from the dockyard to get there, there was a sign plus I had a map.

Yes, that is the closest access from the Dockyard. Past Somerset Bridge.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Distance?  Safely walkable?

There are segments of the trail that you can walk, but the whole trail is about 20 miles, some busy rod, some off-road.  According to the guide below, it's about three miles from the dockyard to the first entry point via a busy road.  My trip by bike (from Dockyard to Hamilton, then back on the ferry) took several hours.  And you need to have a plan to get back.

https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda2_000036.htm

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Distance?  Safely walkable?

Also keep in mind, depending on time of year you are there, it can get extremely hot and humid. Bring water as there aren't a ton of places to get it once you set out. I've only been on short segments of it but would be a little reluctant to be out on the trail in the middle of the day in summer. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 6:13 PM, Charles4515 said:

Yes, that is the closest access from the Dockyard. Past Somerset Bridge.

Not so.

The beginning of the trail you will find just up a left turn from the main road just after you have passed Mangrove Bay and gone up the small hill. That road is Beacon Hill Rd, and a short way along it is the start of the Railway Trail (signposted) on your right, with the bus yard on your left which is the old train 'parking' yard.

The stretch of the trail from Mangrove Bay to Somerset Bridge is one of my favourites, with great views out across the Sound.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Not so.

The beginning of the trail you will find just up a left turn from the main road just after you have passed Mangrove Bay and gone up the small hill. That road is Beacon Hill Rd, and a short way along it is the start of the Railway Trail (signposted) on your right, with the bus yard on your left which is the old train 'parking' yard.

The stretch of the trail from Mangrove Bay to Somerset Bridge is one of my favourites, with great views out across the Sound.

Learn something new. Did not know about that section. 

Edited by Charles4515

• 3 weeks later...

Great info.   I plan to bring my Brompton but i wouldn't be opposed to renting if it made sense.    I'd like to do ride without a alot of gravel or car traffic.    Are there sections where I can do a longer stretch where it's mostly quiet paved path?     Would it make sense to ride the ferry and start mid way?   I don't need to ride every section.   I just want to have a partial day of a pleasant leisurely ride.