Time on ship vs. port

J18ktleo

Hi!

We are looking to book a tour that leaves from Palm Beach at 9am and our ship docks at 8am.

The tour company (Octopus Aruba) says the ships time is one hour earlier than the port time, it's been 2 years since I've sailed and don't recall if

the ship stays on their own time or changes for the islands.

Anyone have any input?

Also, used Octopus Aruba two years ago for snorkel tour and it was AWESOME!!!!!  Had a group of 10 and the service was perfect!

7 minutes ago, BlueCattleDog said:

We just visited Aruba this past week on a cruise out of San Juan on Explorer of the Seas. Ships time did not change during the cruise and was the same as Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao.

I'm pretty sure they're all in the same time zone.... Atlantic Standard Time.

Edited by d9704011

2 hours ago, J18ktleo said:

Hi!

We are looking to book a tour that leaves from Palm Beach at 9am and our ship docks at 8am.

The tour company (Octopus Aruba) says the ships time is one hour earlier than the port time, it's been 2 years since I've sailed and don't recall if

Anyone have any input?

Also, used Octopus Aruba two years ago for snorkel tour and it was AWESOME!!!!!  Had a group of 10 and the service was perfect!

Some ships adjust their time to match local time and some don't. It depends on cruise line policy and the ship's master.

If you're cruising during daylight saving time and your ship is embarking from the East Coast of the US then ship's time will match Aruba's time regardless because Aruba does not observe daylight saving time and remains on Atlantic Standard Time year round.  Eastern Daylight Saving Time matches Atlantic Standard Time

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 3

On 2/27/2022 at 4:45 PM, J18ktleo said:

Hi!

Anyone have any input?

Just sailed on Odyssey of the Seas out of Ft Lauderdale on Eastern Time the entire cruise, so in Aruba there was an hour difference.  One thing we found odd was my phone stayed on ship time, while my wife's switched, didn't check the settings but we were both on airplane mode. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/27/2022 at 3:45 PM, J18ktleo said:

Hi!

Anyone have any input?

I was trying to book Octopus Aruba yesterday only to find out we don't dock in port until 9AM so it is a no-go for us.  Octopus Aruba told us it is about a 12 minute drive from the cruise port so if you get off the ship at 8 you should be good.

41 minutes ago, divamimi312 said:

I was trying to book Octopus Aruba yesterday only to find out we don't dock in port until 9AM so it is a no-go for us.  Octopus Aruba told us it is about a 12 minute drive from the cruise port so if you get off the ship at 8 you should be good.

That's what we did...docked at 8, quick taxi ride over to Holiday Inn, it's behind them on the beach.  We left right at 8 and were there before anyone was at the Octopus Palapa.  Easy Peasy.  Was a great day, and this was my second time with them (once pre-Covid and this time again).

They do a fabulous job and take such good care of everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

We ran into it in November. The islands don't do day light savings time. We canceled our excursion because of port time and excursion time. When they let us off 30-minutes early, we called the tour company. They held for 10-minutes so we could join. But yes, keep an eye on the time because it could be different.