Free local COVID testing or use already purchased BinaxNOW ?

We_like_to_cruise

17 hours ago, Coral said:

My state is giving BinexNOW tests out free.

Ohio was also giving them out at library branches.  At first you could get 10 test kits at a time, then when omicron hit, they dropped it to 6.  Unfortunately, there was such a demand they ran out, but since Covid is retreating I think they'll be available again soon.  They are the Binax Now Rx proctored tests.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SW.FloridaPhil said:

So many posts and opinions on this subject. Just booked a cruise out of FLL Monday. Scheduled a covid test for this Saturday. Rapid Antigen test at Walgreens. Is this going to be a problem?? 

Not unless you fail. 

6 hours ago, travellingnana said:

What state do you live in?  If CA how did you get those for free??

I am in Nebraska - they signed an agreement with eMed. Ours just became available late last week.

Sorry not in CA.

6 hours ago, pompeii said:

Ohio was also giving them out at library branches.  At first you could get 10 test kits at a time, then when omicron hit, they dropped it to 6.  Unfortunately, there was such a demand they ran out, but since Covid is retreating I think they'll be available again soon.  They are the Binax Now Rx proctored tests.

We were told that they were giving them out in groups of 6 but when I went to pick them up - they asked how many were in our household and we were given that many. Supposedly they had mentioned libraries as a place to pick them up but right now, it is only our county health department. It took forever for our state to get them, they arrived right when omicron dropped count wise.

On 3/1/2022 at 7:45 PM, ElkGroveCruiser said:

The last time we purchased and used the Abbott proctored home test, the test kits had a very short expiration date but I know that the dates were extended under some "emergency use" band-aid.

If anyone has recently purchased these tests, will you please let me know what expiration date was on your kit and when you purchased them?

Thanks in advance for your kind help. 

I ordered our Optum tests on Tuesday this week (3/1) and received them today (3/4). The expiration date is 1/1/23.

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2022 at 9:50 PM, stefndoug said:

I am Canadian...I have gotten the free US tests at CityHealth (in California), Curative (in Florida), CVS (in Hawaii) and Walgreens (in Washington State)...as you can see...I love to travel and sniff out where we Canadians can test for free to get back home.

Can you remember what information was in the report from CityHealth? (As you said it was free I assume you did not pay extra for  the report that is specially formatted for Hawaii and has passport ID).

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Can you remember what information was in the report from CityHealth? (As you said it was free I assume you did not pay extra for  the report that is specially formatted for Hawaii and has passport ID).

Thank you.

Everything on the report was what was required by the Canadian government.  Nope, didn't have to pay anything for it.  

4 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

Everything on the report was what was required by the Canadian government.  Nope, didn't have to pay anything for it.  

Did it include either age or birth date and name of laboratory, test type, etc?

Trying to find out if it is suitable report type for Princess embarkation or if need to pay the extra documentation fee that CityHealth charges for a report that is targeted for entry to Hawaii.

Thanks.

Edited by brisalta

We are in Florida and for our March cruise we used the county health dept for free testing.  Made an appointment but it was not necessary as there was no difficulty scheduling.  Got the results before we were home.

No way am I going to fool around with a boxed test and mess that up when I have such an easy option for someone to do it for me...and it's FREE.

• Like 1

Check out curative.com. They offer free proctored  tests in many areas of the US, but in some areas you have health insurance. We got ours in Fort Lauderdale, and they were quick and efficient. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 10:45 PM, ElkGroveCruiser said:

The last time we purchased and used the Abbott proctored home test, the test kits had a very short expiration date but I know that the dates were extended under some "emergency use" band-aid.

If anyone has recently purchased these tests, will you please let me know what expiration date was on your kit and when you purchased them?

Thanks in advance for your kind help. 

I know that this post is from about a month and a half ago and you've probably found the information you need.  But for anyone else that may need to order these tests in the future and want information on the expiration date; don't hesitate to just send eMed a message asking the expiration date of the kits they are currently sending out.  I've emailed them in the past and received a very quick and polite response with accurate information as to the expiration dates of the kits they were currently sending out.  

For anyone that hasn't used the proctored BinaxNOW tests and does not have a good free and convenient option for testing; I highly recommend these tests.  My husband and I have each completed at least 5 of these proctored tests for international travel.  They've really made this process quick and easy.  We've never had a wait, the proctors have all been great, the instructions are simple(provided both on screen and verbally), and results have all been emailed and posted the app almost immediately with all of the information required.  If you can use a full 6 packs; these come out to $25 each.  For us it is worth the convenience of doing these at a time most convenient to us and in our own home or hotel.  We couldn't drive to a test site quicker than we can complete these.  Another positive is that you're able to avoid a test site that may be full of COVID positive people (there are not as many drive through clinics around us anymore). 

On 3/1/2022 at 6:49 AM, Drews_Cruise said:

Where is there free testing?  I have not heard of this and am booked for testing near the port of San Francisco at $100.00 per test.  Is there another option that I'm not aware of?

Try the chat function to see what a non-resident would be charged by CityHealth if anything, https://covidtesting.cityhealth.com/

Edited by brisalta

2 hours ago, brisalta said:

Try the chat function to see what a non-resident would be charged by CityHealth if anything, https://covidtesting.cityhealth.com/

I contacted cityhealth.com after your post and got the following back:

(Effective March 22, 2022)

Testing is covered by Insurance, (Insurance will not cover testing at our Puerta Vallarta location.) We do accept all insurances but Medi-Cal. Medi-Cal doesn’t allow patients to self-pay, and it’s recommended patients with Medi-Cal unless they are networked with Alameda alliance to see their provider.
Fees:

* Charge $149 for 24-36 hour PCR (next day)
* Charge $99 for Rapid Antigen (1-3 Hours Turnaround time)

This does not include the documentation fee.

If you are testing for travel to Hawaii, there is a $20 documentation fee. There is a $25 document fee for International travelers who need their passport number on their results.

Please be aware that the Insurance companies may discontinue payment for the test, after the 16th of April.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

I contacted cityhealth.com after your post and got the following back:

(Effective March 22, 2022)

Testing is covered by Insurance, (Insurance will not cover testing at our Puerta Vallarta location.) We do accept all insurances but Medi-Cal. Medi-Cal doesn’t allow patients to self-pay, and it’s recommended patients with Medi-Cal unless they are networked with Alameda alliance to see their provider.
Fees:

* Charge $149 for 24-36 hour PCR (next day)
* Charge $99 for Rapid Antigen (1-3 Hours Turnaround time)

This does not include the documentation fee.

If you are testing for travel to Hawaii, there is a $20 documentation fee. There is a $25 document fee for International travelers who need their passport number on their results.

Please be aware that the Insurance companies may discontinue payment for the test, after the 16th of April.

That is interesting. I made an appointment for April 28th and they said no charge to me. I guess I will need to contact CityHealth after April 16th and check the pricing.

Edited by brisalta