Traveling with insulin

debnjoe1438

Anyone here cruise with insulin? Are there any issues getting on the ship with insulin needles? My SIL is going on her first cruise with us and is diabetic. Does Carnival need to know if someone is Diabetic and using insulin?

Thanks

I don’t know if your SIL uses an insulin pump but if she does, just a reminder NOT to take it through X-ray. TSA sometimes isn’t informed and my son has to “gently insist” that he be wanded or have someone hold his pump while he goes through. He has never had a problem bringing his supplies through security though. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kansaslunchlady said:

My husband is type one diabetic. No problem bringing all his supplies on board. Let your room steward know if you need a sharps container.

^^^This^^^

Also for traveling, please consider the Frio Insulin Wallets.

The have literally been a life saver for me keeping my pens cool when traveling.

They can also be had on Amazon.

One last tip... bring along an empty larger prescription pill bottle to store used pen needles in until you receive the sharps container.

2 hours ago, CruizCuz said:

I don’t know if your SIL uses an insulin pump but if she does, just a reminder NOT to take it through X-ray. TSA sometimes isn’t informed and my son has to “gently insist” that he be wanded or have someone hold his pump while he goes through. He has never had a problem bringing his supplies through security though. 

This is not true for my daughter insulin pump- she can wear it passing through the x-ray but she is advised not to pass it through the x-ray machine that scans purse, bags, etc. 

13 hours ago, debnjoe1438 said:

Anyone here cruise with insulin? Are there any issues getting on the ship with insulin needles? My SIL is going on her first cruise with us and is diabetic. Does Carnival need to know if someone is Diabetic and using insulin?

Thanks

No i used to use then i went to rehab and i am clean now. Just ask the room steward for a sharps container.my wife still shoots up.i eat low carb and got off the stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What you could have done was contacted Special Needs department at Carnival. They would have arranged a sharps container and a little electric mini fridge/cooler for you to keep the meds in.

But hey, last minute notification and a cabin steward willing to rush their arses off to get these supplies works too.

Just did this recently.  When you do online checkin you can indicate Diabetic (I think that was the selection).  I asked my Carnival planner to add the sharps container and it was in the cabin when we got there. Or, you could ask the room steward.

The refrigerator in the room is not guaranteed to have the correct temperature. Ours have always been cold but you might not want to chance it. You cannot preorder the medical frig.  Immediately upon boarding go to guest services and request one. It is first come/first served and I don't know if they run out.  There is a $75 deposit required (on your sail and sign card) and you get it back when you return the frig. 

Funny (now) story about the medical frig. My son and friend (hemophiliac) got one for their room when they were about 18.  They plugged it in and accidently (?) set it to hot. I guess those things can heat or cool.  Anyway, the heat set off fire alarms and all kinds of security came running. Fortunately I was on the lido deck having cocktails and missed all the excitement.

2 hours ago, CruisingAgain said:

Just did this recently.  When you do online checkin you can indicate Diabetic (I think that was the selection).  I asked my Carnival planner to add the sharps container and it was in the cabin when we got there. Or, you could ask the room steward.

The refrigerator in the room is not guaranteed to have the correct temperature. Ours have always been cold but you might not want to chance it. You cannot preorder the medical frig.  Immediately upon boarding go to guest services and request one. It is first come/first served and I don't know if they run out.  There is a $75 deposit required (on your sail and sign card) and you get it back when you return the frig. 

Funny (now) story about the medical frig. My son and friend (hemophiliac) got one for their room when they were about 18.  They plugged it in and accidently (?) set it to hot. I guess those things can heat or cool.  Anyway, the heat set off fire alarms and all kinds of security came running. Fortunately I was on the lido deck having cocktails and missed all the excitement.

Thanks, regarding the online checkin, I was doing this for everyone in our group and forgot my SIL is diabetic (had no clue she uses insulin) and completed without adding this. Now that we are complety checked in, I don't think I can go back and change this. Maybe I'll call Carnival in the morning.

The Guest Services desk on the ship has a regular refrigerator, so if you need something kept at a really cold temp, they will store it for you.  I would also advise you to send an e-mail to guest services, just to let them know.  That way, if you do need some special consideration on board, they are aware of it

2 minutes ago, Barsnikel said:

The Guest Services desk on the ship has a regular refrigerator, so if you need something kept at a really cold temp, they will store it for you.  I would also advise you to send an e-mail to guest services, just to let them know.  That way, if you do need some special consideration on board, they are aware of it

Thank you, I did call Carnival Acess Desk this morning and we should be all set. 🙂 

When DH and I were on a 14 day cruise he had to carry extra insulin and we couldn’t get one of those special insulin coolers from Guest Services.  We he ended up doing is keeping the pen he was currently using in our cabin and storing the extras in the medical center, where they are used to storing insulin at the proper temperature.  When he needed a new pen he would go down there and get it.  It’s important not only to keep the insulin cool, but equally important not to let it freeze.  This worked out well for him.

1 minute ago, nwcruiselover said:

When DH and I were on a 14 day cruise he had to carry extra insulin and we couldn’t get one of those special insulin coolers from Guest Services.  We he ended up doing is keeping the pen he was currently using in our cabin and storing the extras in the medical center, where they are used to storing insulin at the proper temperature.  When he needed a new pen he would go down there and get it.  It’s important not only to keep the insulin cool, but equally important not to let it freeze.  This worked out well for him.

Good to know, thanks

On 3/5/2022 at 9:53 AM, Purvis1231 said:

This is not true for my daughter insulin pump- she can wear it passing through the x-ray but she is advised not to pass it through the x-ray machine that scans purse, bags, etc. 

Same with mine. It is fine going through the personal xray, but not the baggage xray.  I still get a pat down as my CGM transmitter shows on the screen as does the infusion set, and I get a hand swab test after they have me rub the pump.  Never an issue.

Also, to those concerened about the mini-fridge temps, insulin is just fine at room temprature for a month.  You don't even need to keep the amount required on a typical cruise cold.

• Like 1