Currency exchange ??

bluecruisin

On many cruises the Cashier can exchange small amounts but it depends on the positioning of the ships and the currencies they carry onboard.    I have exchanged Euros to $USD.    I usually find it quicker and better exchange rate withdrawing  using my ATM card that covers ATM fees either at a port or from the ships ATM. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I usually find it quicker and better exchange rate withdrawing  using my ATM card that covers ATM fees either at a port or from the ships ATM. 

But that doesn’t solve the OP’s question of changing one currency to another. The exchange rate offered at guest services is not a very good one, and what’s worse, to go from pounds to Euros, the OP would lose twice because two currency exchanges would be needed.

My experience is that crew are happy to accept any currency for additional gratuities.  If UK pounds is what you have, they will accept them.  They will either trade with someone or take them home.  Also, a lot of the crew end up going through Heathrow to get home, so they may come in handy for refreshments. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

But that doesn’t solve the OP’s question of changing one currency to another. The exchange rate offered at guest services is not a very good one, and what’s worse, to go from pounds to Euros, the OP would lose twice because two currency exchanges would be needed.

You are 100% correct I was trying to suggest that instead of tipping in Pounds that it might be more convenient to the crew  to receive tips in $.    The crew probably get as bad an exchange rate as passengers and would be devaluing their gratuity.    I'm sure the crew are happy to get any tip regardless of currency.

If the OP is on Silhouette which is based out of Southampton the crew may enjoy Pounds if they are able to get off the ship on the British Isle cruises. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Since our OP seems to be from North Carolina I am also curious as to what itinerary they are sailing.

But I also agree with @Algebralovr that the crew will be pleased with any currency as they will be trading with other crew members.

The OP appears to be taking Reflection TA next month.  I would cash the pounds for dollars at a local bank that does foreign exchange.  If the OP needs Euro, there's an ATM in the parking garage at Ponta Delgado once debarking the ship, and plenty of ATM's in town.

I have 75 pounds leftover from a previous cruise. My bank will only exchange in increments equal to $100. I wanted use the pounds but will only be travelling to countries using Euros. I guess the small amount will be worth a poor exchange rate rather than having them just sitting around. Thanks to all who responded!

3 hours ago, bluecruisin said:

I have 75 pounds leftover from a previous cruise. My bank will only exchange in increments equal to $100. I wanted use the pounds but will only be travelling to countries using Euros. I guess the small amount will be worth a poor exchange rate rather than having them just sitting around. Thanks to all who responded!

You would be better off going to a bank in Europe to exchange from pounds to euro.

7 hours ago, emmas gran said:

If the OP is on a TAtlantic Reflection that doesn't go near UK so any crew member will have to convert to another currency. Personally I think it a cheeky way to off load unwanted currency.

I was not trying to be CHEEKY. That is why I asked if staff could exchange it onboard. Please do not accuse someone unless you clearly read their post!

• Like 1