Nieuw Statendam Quebec City question

CruisinShips

Does anyone understand the reason for the the "check-in Saturday/overnight/depart the following afternoon" thing on the QC to Boston itinerary?  I've never seen that before and I am just curious if there is an explanation for it?

Thanks

The overnight is basically to make the cruise the right length. Some similar cruises on the smaller ships continue to Montreal, but Nieuw Statendam can't go under a bridge between Quebec City and Montreal.

A benefit is that you can actually check in any time on Saturday or Sunday up until some time (maybe 4pm?) on Sunday. You can check in Saturday and use the ship as a hotel and visit Quebec City as well.

If it is what i think you are referring too: it means the ship docks in the morning for disembarkation of those that end their cruise there, and embarkation of those that start there....and then it stays overnite and does not leave until the afternoon/evening of the next day. so you have a whole day in QC after you board..

You board the ship the day before it sails because the the Nieuw Statendam will overnight in the port.

The ship doesn't go anywhere on the first day. It just stays in port. So you go to sleep in Quebec City and you wake up in Quebec City the next day. 

29 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

Thanks for the explanation, Rich.  I've never seen that before.

Quite often, HAL does an overnight on the ship (ship hotel stay) in Buenos Aries, Argentina to begin a cruise.

4 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Quite often, HAL does an overnight on the ship (ship hotel stay) in Buenos Aries, Argentina to begin a cruise.

They may also do an overnight on the ship to end a cruise.

16 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

12 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

They may also do an overnight on the ship to end a cruise.

I did a Med cruise a few years ago that ended with an overnight in Barcelona. The next cruise started with a overnight, so the ship was docked for 3 days straight.

• Thanks 1

Speaking as a passenger booked on that cruise this year, the overnight was a big draw for me. We’ve stayed in Quebec several times and love it, but did not want to go into a hotel a day or two early for this trip.

With the overnight, we have an easy one-stop day to get to Quebec City, arriving via flight ease at 5 pm, with a transfer right to the ship.. We can check in, have dinner, and go to sleep. If we are delayed, I’ll relax, knowing we still have another day to get there. Plus it will be lovely to have a full day in QC when we wake up. 

Flight timing into QC airport or Montreal (150 miles away) was challenging for several people on the roll all, so the overnight helps solve that problem.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Thanks 1