Travel Ins.

JERMEY

My husband and I are in our 70's. We are traveling to Ams. for a week before our cruise. I just wonder what travel ins. most people buy. I did not book my air or hotel in Ams. thru the cruise line. 

I see many companies and many different prices. I just want ins. in case something happens before the trip and while we are away. I know that if we got sick it would be a fortune to get us back to the US.

Thanks for any advice. Christine

14 minutes ago, JERMEY said:

My husband and I are in our 70's. We are traveling to Ams. for a week before our cruise. I just wonder what travel ins. most people buy. I did not book my air or hotel in Ams. thru the cruise line. 

I see many companies and many different prices. I just want ins. in case something happens before the trip and while we are away. I know that if we got sick it would be a fortune to get us back to the US.

There is a better forum on cc for you to ask this question.

Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com Jan/Feb '22 - Cruise Critic Community

21 minutes ago, JERMEY said:

When we first started traveling a lot, we purchased trip cancellation/interruption/baggage/medical/evacuation insurance.  

Now, we just buy an annual medical/evacuation plan.  Most US health plans do not cover when out of country, and evacuation can cost thousands of dollars.

There are a couple of good trip insurance comparison sites that you can put in the parameters of what you want covered, and they will show you many different companies policies to compare and choose from.  I've used both insure my trip and squaremouth mostly.

Edited by Shmoo here

Squaremouth is an excellent resource.  They allow you to set filters for what you want and then compare multiple insurance plans.  They also offer customer service in the event of a problem.

6 hours ago, JERMEY said:

I purchase an annual policy with Life Guard, it is business travelers insurance, $518 for 2 for a year.  Never had to use but feel it is a good thing to have in case of medical emergency.  I only care about covering for medical emergencies, policy does cover other things to.  You can book it on line.    Insurance is good anywhere 100 miles from home. 

You said that you are concerned about something happening before you go. If you mean you want cancellation coverage in case illness keeps you from traveling, you’ll need a comprehensive travel policy. Annual medical policies do not cover cancellation. Allianz sells an annual policy with limited cancellation, but read carefully to see what it says about COVID. Be sure it has the COVID endorsement.

Another concern you expressed is the cost of getting home if you have a medical emergency. Know that the evacuation portion of the policy covers hospital to hospital transfers if you need a higher level of care. It is based on medical need as determined by the doctors and the insurance company. Otherwise, you will recover in place and return home by commercial air when you are able to travel. There are separate policies such as MedJet for evacuation only that give you more control of the decision.

Also be aware of the pre-existing conditions clause and whether it applies to you. Such coverage is time sensitive, and you must meet certain requirements to buy it.

If all of this seems overwhelming, consult a professional like Steve Dasseos in the link provided above. He is a broker representing several companies and can help you find the coverage you need.

States regulate insurance, and cost is based on age, length of trip, amount insured, and dollar limits of coverage, among other things. Similar coverage will cost the same wherever you buy it.

• Like 1

For something like you are describing, I echo Babr's recommendation, contact Steve that way you can talk it out with a professional in order to understand exactly what to purchase rather then going through the mechanics of an online only insurance site.

bon voyage