Covid Test Timing Question

sb44

We are leaving on Explorer on Sunday, March 13th.  We anticipate arriving at Miami port between 1 and 3 p.m., depending on traffic from the west coast of Florida.  The documents say that covid tests need to be within 48 hours of arrival at the ship.  Anyone know if they stick to the 48 hours? We have appointments for our antigen tests at Walgreens on Friday at 11:00 a.m.  Wondering if they will require a new test at the ship.  We were not able to get later appointments that day!  Most cruise lines are number of days prior to arrival.  This is the first I've seen of hours.  Anyone?

I wouldn't risk it. Maybe call your physicians office or look around a little more. I know there are walk in testing sites in my location that nobody really knows about because they are in a clinic. Also, you could do a at home test online. If all else fails you could just take one at the dock from Regent. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

I think you're fine. I'm on the same cruise. My test is noon on Friday. The information Regent sent out about testing has a chart. If you sail on a Sunday, your test should be on Friday.

Covid test taken no earlier than

Cruise Embark Day

Cruise originates in U.S. port

Cruise originates in non-U.S. port

Sunday

Friday

Thursday

Monday

Saturday

Friday

Tuesday

Sunday

Saturday

Wednesday

Monday

Sunday

Thursday

Tuesday

Monday

Friday

Wednesday

Tuesday

Saturday

Thursday

Wednesday

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, giustot said:

I think you're fine. I'm on the same cruise. My test is noon on Friday. The information Regent sent out about testing has a chart. If you sail on a Sunday, your test should be on Friday.

Covid test taken no earlier than

Cruise Embark Day

Cruise originates in U.S. port

Cruise originates in non-U.S. port

Sunday

Friday

Thursday

Monday

Saturday

Friday

Tuesday

Sunday

Saturday

Wednesday

Monday

Sunday

Thursday

Tuesday

Monday

Friday

Wednesday

Tuesday

Saturday

Thursday

Wednesday

Thanks.  We did not receive this. Takes a load off! Not sure why they don't have this posted somewhere rather than the 48 hours statement online. Have a wonderful sailing!

2 hours ago, sb44 said:

Thanks.  We did not receive this. Takes a load off! Not sure why they don't have this posted somewhere rather than the 48 hours statement online. Have a wonderful sailing!

If possible ...if you have time can you pleae post how your experience getting test at Walgreens and costs associated with the testing.  We are on a June sailing and it would be helpful information.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Travelingwithstyl:  

Hopefully, the following is an apples to apples example that will fit your situation re:  Walgreens--

This was TODAY's experience.  It pertains NOT to a Regent cruise to a foreign destination; but an automobile drive across the US-Canadian Border from Blaine, WA to Vancouver B.C.  (To, BTW, celebrate our 52nd wedding anniversary.)  However, that is not the point.  The testing procedure and timing IS the point.  

In addition to completing an elaborate online Form filed with the Canadian Government as to our vaccination status, general health, and so-on, it was also necessary to have documentation confirming completion--within a day's arrival at the International Border--

"An observed Rapid NAAT test for SARS-Cov-2."  Said test had to be accomplished in the presence of a "Medical Professional".   

Thus, Walgreens.  

It took us considerable time, online, and by telephone, to get this done.  Our appointment was for a specific time at Walgreens' Maple Valley, WA Pharmacy.  We reside in Redmond, WA.  Soos, about 85 miles R/T.   Very-specific instructions provided by Walgreens before-hand via email.  Confirmation Number Assigned.  Advised to arrive ON TIME; otherwise, would have to be fitted-in later. Instructions were to drive into a specific Traffic Line at the Pharmacy.  Stay in the car.  Drop box would be utilized for transfer of test material.  Test results would be provided via email within 2-5 hours of testing.    

We arrived about 10 minutes before our scheduled back-to-back tests.  There were four cars in front.  15-minutes later--at the window.  Presented our completed documents.  Lady processed our paperwork; confirmed our names and DOBs.  (Did not ask for further Identification, although the online instructions were to have Driver's License or such; plus proof of Medical Insurance available.) 

We then, separately, and within view of the Lady behind the window, completed the test, which was a nasal swab presented in a sealed wrapper.  Peeled off the wrapper.  Five swirls of each nostril--rather deep.   Instrument put back in the wrapper; returned via drop-box to Lady.   

Exited the line.  By that time, three cars were behind us.  Had lunch at a nearby restaurant.  Waited--waited for email prompt.  About 90 minutes later:  BINGO.  Test results Negative. 

Returned to residence.  Downloaded hard copies of Walgreens documents showing NEGATIVE.   

Soos.  We now have in-hand our Passports; that completed Canadian Government Form attesting to our vaccination status; and proof of "Observed" Test showing Negative for COVID.  This, of course, in addition to our official Cards showing complete vaccination + boost status. All will be necessary to get to Canada.  

Hope this helps. 

Oh, BTW:  NO Cost.  No-doubt, once the lady checked our full names and DOBs--no-doubt accessed a central file showing our Medicare A and B Plus Tricare for Life Insurance status. 

GOARMY!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Travelingwithstyl:  

Hopefully, the following is an apples to apples example that will fit your situation re:  Walgreens--

This was TODAY's experience.  It pertains NOT to a Regent cruise to a foreign destination; but an automobile drive across the US-Canadian Border from Blaine, WA to Vancouver B.C.  (To, BTW, celebrate our 52nd wedding anniversary.)  However, that is not the point.  The testing procedure and timing IS the point.  

In addition to completing an elaborate online Form filed with the Canadian Government as to our vaccination status, general health, and so-on, it was also necessary to have documentation confirming completion--within a day's arrival at the International Border--

"An observed Rapid NAAT test for SARS-Cov-2."  Said test had to be accomplished in the presence of a "Medical Professional".   

Thus, Walgreens.  

It took us considerable time, online, and by telephone, to get this done.  Our appointment was for a specific time at Walgreens' Maple Valley, WA Pharmacy.  We reside in Redmond, WA.  Soos, about 85 miles R/T.   Very-specific instructions provided by Walgreens before-hand via email.  Confirmation Number Assigned.  Advised to arrive ON TIME; otherwise, would have to be fitted-in later. Instructions were to drive into a specific Traffic Line at the Pharmacy.  Stay in the car.  Drop box would be utilized for transfer of test material.  Test results would be provided via email within 2-5 hours of testing.    

We arrived about 10 minutes before our scheduled back-to-back tests.  There were four cars in front.  15-minutes later--at the window.  Presented our completed documents.  Lady processed our paperwork; confirmed our names and DOBs.  (Did not ask for further Identification, although the online instructions were to have Driver's License or such; plus proof of Medical Insurance available.) 

We then, separately, and within view of the Lady behind the window, completed the test, which was a nasal swab presented in a sealed wrapper.  Peeled off the wrapper.  Five swirls of each nostril--rather deep.   Instrument put back in the wrapper; returned via drop-box to Lady.   

Exited the line.  By that time, three cars were behind us.  Had lunch at a nearby restaurant.  Waited--waited for email prompt.  About 90 minutes later:  BINGO.  Test results Negative. 

Returned to residence.  Downloaded hard copies of Walgreens documents showing NEGATIVE.   

Soos.  We now have in-hand our Passports; that completed Canadian Government Form attesting to our vaccination status; and proof of "Observed" Test showing Negative for COVID.  This, of course, in addition to our official Cards showing complete vaccination + boost status. All will be necessary to get to Canada.  

Hope this helps. 

Oh, BTW:  NO Cost.  No-doubt, once the lady checked our full names and DOBs--no-doubt accessed a central file showing our Medicare A and B Plus Tricare for Life Insurance status. 

GOARMY!

Yes, this really helped.  Thank you so very much for taking your valuable time to share your experience.   Greatly appreciated.  

I have used Walgreens for all my travel related covid testing. Two trips in 2021; August and November. Both times tested 3 times pre departure (was overly cautious). All 6 tests - no charge, including a rapid same day test. No charge. 
To insure appointment availability, I monitored the website to see when would be the first day appointments would open up for the date I wanted to get a test. No problem getting a slot.

I hope this helps.

8 hours ago, GOARMY said:

All will be necessary to get to Canada.  

GOARMY, fyi, as of April 1, Canada is dropping the Covid entry test for air/land arrivals, so you will not longer need to be tested.  You will still have to provide the vaccination info and other info via the ArriveCan app. 

I wonder if the US will also drop its Covid entry test??

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 9:24 AM, Travelingwithstyle said:

If possible ...if you have time can you pleae post how your experience getting test at Walgreens 

We are flying to Barbados on Saturday for embarkation on Navigator on Sunday. The Walgreens and other pharmacies in my town (population under 50,000) will only give self-administered tests. 

I am driving 50 miles this morning to get a test done at a drive-up lab.  Hopefully getting results later today.

Back to the original question re timing of test…I have seen the chart posted earlier in this thread implying that a 2 day window is acceptable for the embarkation test. HOWEVER, I just completed my online Health Attestation for my upcoming cruise and it clearly states 48 HOURS for the Covid test. There is no mention of 2 days or the chart.  So I am still unclear.

Perhaps someone who has recently boarded a Regent ship can provide more direct information re how specific Regent is for the timing of the test. For example: if you test at 10am Friday for a Sunday noon embarkation will Regent accept that test or make you retest at the pier?

On our April 5 departure roll call, someone called Regent a couple of days ago and was told 2 calendar days was fine, they were not requiring 48 hours. We are going to use the Inspire online proctored test they recommended and plan to be under the 48

hour mark. 

Side note: we did one of these a couple of months ago when we were filmed on a House Hunters episode. It was easy to do at home, and much faster than going to a center or store.

If you are concerned about the timing just do a online test. As long as you have the test (which will be mailed to you) and internet connection then you can do it from anywhere. Regent has a link to a company in which you need to make appointment but there are many others in which they provide proctored testing at anytime of the day, no appt necessary. 

Sunprince:  

Yep, we got the word about upcoming change in Canadian requirements.  Hope this "streamlined" protocol is maintained for the next year or two.  We celebrate most Anniversaries at either Vancouver or Victoria, BC hotels.  

And, come September, 2023:  Back at B.C. for boarding Explorer--and onward to Tokyo.  

GOARMY!

Do be careful to look at both the requirements for the cruise and the requirements for your country of embarkation if it is not your own country. We are embarking in Barbados, and its requirements are a bit more rigid than Regent's. PCR only--no Antigen--and it must be administered by an authorized provider. No self-administered tests, including observed ones. Which are what most pharmacies do. Fortunately, there's a lab five minutes from me that gives the type of test Barbados requires, and provides results within 24 hours. But those are hard to find in some places. In fact, it is this lab that NCCruzQueen above drove 50 miles to for testing this morning. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Do be careful to look at both the requirements for the cruise and the requirements for your country of embarkation if it is not your own country. We are embarking in Barbados, and its requirements are a bit more rigid than Regent's. PCR only--no Antigen--and it must be administered by an authorized provider. No self-administered tests, including observed ones. Which are what most pharmacies do. Fortunately, there's a lab five minutes from me that gives the type of test Barbados requires, and provides results within 24 hours. But those are hard to find in some places. In fact, it is this lab that NCCruzQueen above drove 50 miles to for testing this morning. 

Just to clarify, Barbados does accept antigen tests if the test was administered within 1 day of arrival. A negative PCR test is valid up to 3 days prior to arrival. See you aboard.

1214956380_CovidTestingforBarbados.thumb.png.68d237450ee43e33dfee7a131bd2ba2e.png

Edited by Desperate to Sail
grammar

2 hours ago, Desperate to Sail said:

Just to clarify, Barbados does accept antigen tests if the test was administered within 1 day of arrival. A negative PCR test is valid up to 3 days prior to arrival. See you aboard.

1214956380_CovidTestingforBarbados.thumb.png.68d237450ee43e33dfee7a131bd2ba2e.png

Sorry, you’re right. If you’re flying in early, it doesn’t work out to get both the test to satisfy Regent and the test to satisfy Barbados at the same time and be guaranteed to have the results in time.

2 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

Sorry, you’re right. If you’re flying in early, it doesn’t work out to get both the test to satisfy Regent and the test to satisfy Barbados at the same time and be guaranteed to have the results in time.

Yes. That's right. Wife and I got swabbed today for a RT-PCR test. Results back Friday morning. That way I can make sure we're negative and get everything uploaded into BIMSafe before we leave Saturday for Miami. For us, it's hard getting to Barbados on the same day so we're spending Saturday night in Miami and then flying to Barbados Sunday morning. This was all arranged before RSSC notified us that the Navigator was staying in Bridgetown overnight Sunday.

Simple antigen test would have been cheaper but it would have meant getting tested at the airport and then trying to upload the results while in transit. Didn't want the stress.  

See you aboard.

Just completed the 14 day on Grandeur cruise in and of Barbados.   Feb 19th they wanted…Barbados that is….. PCR test…nasalphenogeal.   We flew in one day ahead and had the test new day before flying.   Hen we got to Barbados, they did not accept our test as the paper work had written “nasal swab” not nasalphenogeal swab.    Good news, Barbados had free tests at air terminal.   Took about an hour and a half of waiting, testing, getting results.  To get onto the ship, at the port, there was another free antigen test….another short wait, nasal swab, etc….but all went fine.

I understand Barbados now accepts an antigen test.   I think my message is….pay close real close attention to the wording…who should do tests (medical professional versus at home test, etc)….and ensure paperwork is exact as requirements state.   American Airlines accepted all records using Verifly, but Barbados authorities and those checking at the time we entered had a slight problem with our paperwork.   Good news is, it all worked out, had a great cruise, and wish you the same.