New To Bermuda

Giantfan13

We are avid cruisers, but, sorry to say, we have never cruised to Bermuda. So we figured we would change that and we are scheduled to cruise there on the RCCL Enchantment on May 5. We will overnight there but time wise we will be there from 1PM till the next day 1PM.

We are seniors and we can walk pretty good. We do not beach as I have had multiple cases of Melanoma, so we try and avoid sitting in the sun. I am also an avid photographer and love to sight see. My DW loves to browse the shops. 

Since I really have no knowledge of Bermuda, are there any sort of 'Walking tours' available to the general public? would we be better off trying to book some sort of excursion (we don't do ship excursions) or would we be able to see most of the island on our own? Do they have taxi tours, like when we disembark the ship trying to fill up vans etc.?

Any helpful info and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Len

I’ve only been there once, but I thought the area of St. George’s was very beautiful and historic. We took a ferry to get there and walked around town and then took a cab to tobacco bay beach to snorkel. I’d like to go back one day and spend some time walking around the town with my camera. We went there on a day that the ship was at the dockyard overnight so we didn’t have to worry about missing the ship. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

We are avid cruisers, but, sorry to say, we have never cruised to Bermuda. So we figured we would change that and we are scheduled to cruise there on the RCCL Enchantment on May 5. We will overnight there but time wise we will be there from 1PM till the next day 1PM.

We are seniors and we can walk pretty good. We do not beach as I have had multiple cases of Melanoma, so we try and avoid sitting in the sun. I am also an avid photographer and love to sight see. My DW loves to browse the shops. 

Since I really have no knowledge of Bermuda, are there any sort of 'Walking tours' available to the general public? would we be better off trying to book some sort of excursion (we don't do ship excursions) or would we be able to see most of the island on our own? Do they have taxi tours, like when we disembark the ship trying to fill up vans etc.?

Any helpful info and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Len

Taxi tours are definitely offered at the cruise port and I'd recommend you do that as a first time visitor. Unless rates have changed the tour rate per vehicle for up to four passengers is $50 per hour, with typically a three or four hour minimum. Look for a "blue flag" taxi driver. They are government certified tour providers. There used to be an active thread recommending specific drivers but given the pandemic resulting in few cruise ship visits to Bermuda in the last two years there haven't been any recent posts on the thread.

You can also tour on your own. You can take a ferry to Hamilton and walk there or take a ferry to St. George (assuming that ferry service resumes this year as expected). St. George was the original capital of Bermuda and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

You can also walk in the Royal Naval Dockyard, where your ship will be berthed. There is shopping, restaurants and you can visit the National Museum of Bermuda.

There are lots of things to do...more than you'll have time for during your 24 hours in Bermuda.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

Just now, Giantfan13 said:

Thanks for the great replies.

We dock at the Royal Naval Dockyards, are any of these ferries right in that area?

Cheers

Len

Yes, the ferries to Hamilton or St. George will be just a short walk from where your ship will be berthed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cavewoman said:

we just love Bermuda, but it doesn't sound like a lot of things are open on Sundays, correct?

Not in Hamilton or St.George's. Local people do eat out on Sunday so there will be restaurants open. Retail shops that is. Since the Dockyard caters to cruise passengers and there are a lot of them there will be shops open there.

18 hours ago, negn said:

I agree with St George with your limited time.  It’s a UNESCO site. It’s very historic and picturesque.  I enjoyed St. Peter’s church and cemetery next to it

Is the ferry running on the weekend to St George?

Cheers

Len

8 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

Is the ferry running on the weekend to St George?

Cheers

Len

Since I have been cruising to Bermuda which is many years,  the ferry has not run to St. George's on the weekend. So I would guess it won't this year. You could take a ferry to Hamilton and a but to St. George's on the weekend. 

Edited by Charles4515

is this a public ferry to St. George or one run by the cruise line? I appreciate the questions being asked and the answers from knowledgeable CC posters. We will have 3 days any suggested plans for multiple day stop over. I believe there is a dolphin experience that we will try to have our daughters do. done it once and it was enjoyable but no need for me to do it again. I read about some caves. Beach days are good and being from CA read about air and water temps and that sounds pretty good to me. like giant fan I enjoy walking with my camera, but that bores my kids.  

10 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

is this a public ferry to St. George or one run by the cruise line? I appreciate the questions being asked and the answers from knowledgeable CC posters. We will have 3 days any suggested plans for multiple day stop over. I believe there is a dolphin experience that we will try to have our daughters do. done it once and it was enjoyable but no need for me to do it again. I read about some caves. Beach days are good and being from CA read about air and water temps and that sounds pretty good to me. like giant fan I enjoy walking with my camera, but that bores my kids.  

I was refering to the public ferry in my post. OP  is on Royal Caribbean which does not run a ferry. NCL runs a private ferry to St.George's for NCL passengers. If you are on an NCL sailing they will give you the schedule onboard. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1