Cruise to Iceland

Reasonable, I am sure, barring any flight delays!  Our Reykjavik to Boston is booked for this coming August (2022).  We are planning to spend 2 nights in Reykjavik before the cruise...never been to Iceland.     From what i have read, even that might not be enough time to enjoy so much to see there!  But why go there and only see the airport and cruise terminal??  For now, our itinerary is :    1st day...arrive around 6AM, to Blue Lagoon from airport then on to a Reykjavik hotel for the night.  2nd. day..Golden Circle tour.  3rd day...leisurely morning then to cruise port.  With long daylight, we should be able to enjoy the city sights and life,  dinners, shopping, etc.  (And probably throw in a nap to conquer jet lag!)

I am a solid 3 out of 6 for transatlantic flight delays, 2 which put me there 24hrs + late.  I would never fly in the day of a cruise.  A land trip, maybe, since you could travel to the group to meet them.  A cruise, no way.

And @roupa is right, Iceland is worth more than a half day.  Two nights minimum would give you time to get a taste. If your cruise is not stopping anywhere else in Iceland, consider 3 nights with an overnight south coast tour to see some of what makes Iceland so amazing.

• Like 1

Iceland is famous for winter storms in any month of the year, or just nasty wind storms.  I'd say you can expect KEF to be closed 1 to 3 days every year from April to September due to weather.  Odds are decent you'll be fine, but I'd fly in a day ahead of time and hope to spend more time on the ground in Iceland.

Delays and cancellations can also affect your local departing airport.  August is hurricane season, remember

• Thanks 1

Did not realize all the pitfalls of same day travel to Iceland.   Thank you all, will have to revise my plan.

I am taking the Icelad to Boston in August 2023. Is it reasonable to fly in same day cruise leaves?  Landing at KEF at 6:00 a.m.

based on our 5 trips to Iceland from Boston, taken in June (x2), August, September, and March, I'd say "Probably fine"

But what if it isn't?

I really think going a day (or two!) early is great, Iceland is spectacular.