Post cruise delay and Princess Premium Travel Protection

Buckeye10640

Question for anyone who has had a post cruise flight cancellation (not booked thru EZAir) and Princess Platinum Vacation Protection.  Was trip delay covered for you (ie. hotel expense, meals, etc)?  Please only reply if you have first hand knowledge. Disembarked Sat in FLL to a canclled flight  with no flights going out. Rebooked and still hoping todays flight is not cancelled. I have talked to AON (insurance carrier) but looking for anyone who has gone thru this before. Thanks.

Edited by Buckeye10640

I have the Princess Standard insurance and have been delayed 2 nights in Miami. Off the Sky on Saturday the 12, flight canceled Saturday,  new flight also got canceled Sunday. Booked today, Monday.. we will see. I did not use EZ air. 

I spoke to someone on Saturday he said he was not an adjuster but to keep all my receipts etc.

I will be filing a claim along with you… I interested to hear from anyone else with previous experience.

Husband was disembarked in South America due to medical condition.  We had to pay out of pocket for everything...flights, meals, transportation, hospital etc.  We were told to keep all receipts and we would be reimbursed....we were reimbursed for everything, but it took almost 3 months...the total was just shy of 12k!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

Husband was disembarked in South America due to medical condition.  We had to pay out of pocket for everything...flights, meals, transportation, hospital etc.  We were told to keep all receipts and we would be reimbursed....we were reimbursed for everything, but it took almost 3 months...the total was just shy of 12k!

Good to know but this is a different situation entirely.   Non EZAir flight cancellation, not a medical issue. Appreciate if we can stay on topic. Thanks. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

Thanks for sharing. Helpful, as this is first- hand experience recently 

• Like 2

Same.  FLL was a nightmare Saturday & yesterday!  We were lucky we could afford to get hotel Sat night & get out yesterday morning but hotel prices were sure at a premium!  The PVP website says hotels, meals and transportation for post-cruise delays up to $1500 due to common carrier delay.  I see nothing to specify has to be EZAir.  So I'm going to attempt to file claim for hotel and meals.  I'll take anything at this point.  We shall see.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Question for anyone who has had a post cruise flight cancellation (not booked thru EZAir) and Princess Platinum Vacation Protection.  Was trip delay covered for you (ie. hotel expense, meals, etc)?  Please only reply if you have first hand knowledge. Disembarked Sat in FLL to a canclled flight  with no flights going out. Rebooked and still hoping todays flight is not cancelled. I have talked to AON (insurance carrier) but looking for anyone who has gone thru this before. Thanks.

I do not have first-hand experience in this situation.

You might want to post your question/issue on the Travel Insurance forum here on CC ... many knowledgeable people there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pms4104 said:

I do not have first-hand experience in this situation.

You might want to post your question/issue on the Travel Insurance forum here on CC ... many knowledgeable people there.

Considered that but the situation is specific to the Princess Vacation Protection plan, so it is cruise line specific. Thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Considered that but the situation is specific to the Princess Vacation Protection plan, so it is cruise line specific. Thanks

See your point and what my TA told me, made me buy additional insurance since I purchased my flights independently. 
I bought PVP for mainly cancel for any reason 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, luvseaside said:

Same.  FLL was a nightmare Saturday & yesterday!  We were lucky we could afford to get hotel Sat night & get out yesterday morning but hotel prices were sure at a premium!  The PVP website says hotels, meals and transportation for post-cruise delays up to $1500 due to common carrier delay.  I see nothing to specify has to be EZAir.  So I'm going to attempt to file claim for hotel and meals.  I'll take anything at this point.  We shall see.

Nightmare might be an understatement. Flight delayed then canceled. Trying to disembark while searching for flights and a hotel is not easy! Ended up at a Hampton which would usually be acceptable. Except it was full of spring breakers and we had a 12 hour power outage! Manager and staff were great though.  Embassy Suites on 17th last night was great but pricey.  Got out of FLL today, in DC waiting for flight to  CMH. Will be filing next week and see what happens.  Glad you  got home!

Edited by Buckeye10640

Following, we are in the same boat, don’t have a flight out till tomorrow (Tuesday). This is the first time I had insurance. The hotel cost for Saturday night was ridiculous. Will be keeping all receipts. Hope I get home tomorrow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Nightmare might be an understatement. Flight delayed then canceled. Trying to disembark while searching for flights and a hotel is not easy! Ended up at a Hampton which would usually be acceptable. Except it was full of spring breakers and we had a 12 hour power outage! Manager and staff were great though.  Embassy Suites on 17th last night was great but pricey.  Got out of FLL today, in DC waiting for flight to  CMH. Will be filing next week and see what happens.  Glad you  got home!

Me too!  The only reason we even got out Sunday morning is that we walked off ship in first group & were at airport by 8 a.m.  We supposedly got last two seats.  We were on the phone looking at all alternatives!  If we hadn't gotten a flight out Sunday, we would've rented car and driven the 15 hrs home.  I had friends that rented car from BWI to FLL & drove all day/night b/c their flights got cancelled too.  Yikes! We didn't ask for any compensation but airline did give us a voucher for $250 and reimbursed me some reward points.  So that's something I guess.

5 hours ago, luvseaside said:

Me too!  The only reason we even got out Sunday morning is that we walked off ship in first group & were at airport by 8 a.m.  We supposedly got last two seats.  We were on the phone looking at all alternatives!  If we hadn't gotten a flight out Sunday, we would've rented car and driven the 15 hrs home.  I had friends that rented car from BWI to FLL & drove all day/night b/c their flights got cancelled too.  Yikes! We didn't ask for any compensation but airline did give us a voucher for $250 and reimbursed me some reward points.  So that's something I guess.

My daughter and I got  $250 travel vouchers as well. Nice gesture by SW. 

6 hours ago, calimn said:

Following, we are in the same boat, don’t have a flight out till tomorrow (Tuesday). This is the first time I had insurance. The hotel cost for Saturday night was ridiculous. Will be keeping all receipts. Hope I get home tomorrow

Good luck. We arrived home tonight. Yes those Sat. night prices were something!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 007colocruz said:

I just did a mock booking & applied the PVP. It says there is coverage for post cruise delays 

Thanks, This is my interpretation too now that I am home with a computer instead of searching on my phone. Although that directly conflicts with what the 1-800-Princess agent told me.  Will be filing this week and will report back on the results so others will have info from my lessons learned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Thanks, This is my interpretation too now that I am home with a computer instead of searching on my phone. Although that directly conflicts with what the 1-800-Princess agent told me.  Will be filing this week and will report back on the results so others will have info from my lessons learned. 

I have had several incorrect instances from agents this past year. Worth submitting your receipts. Keep copies 

1 hour ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Good luck with your claim.  I hope you have no glitches

I posted up thread - finally filed yesterday.  

Fairly easy process, but I had a tough time trying to document all the times Southwest canceled our flights that weekend.  What did you all use to submit documentation of canceled flights?  I had a screen shot from my phone for the first time.  But when I go to SW and try to do history - it only shows the flight I actually made on Monday the 14th.  No e-mails of canceled flights were every received , it was all text messages.  I tried to screenshot them all - but as we all know now, after you get that text, you are in a race to the app to try to book a new flight.

Anyone receive anything back besides a confirmation of claim received and in process yet?

2 hours ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

Anyone receive anything back besides a confirmation of claim received and in process yet?

Unless Aon has some kind of follow-up question or need for further documentation you very likely will not hear anything back until a final email saying approved or denied.  The process is so integrated into the Princess system (did you notice that when you first started the claim) that they feed directly back into Princess...especially when FCC is involved. (Personal experience).  It was not fast...maybe 20-25 days but everything eventually fell into place.  I just filed another claim a few minutes ago for the missed Sky Princess TA.

3 hours ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

I posted up thread - finally filed yesterday.  

Fairly easy process, but I had a tough time trying to document all the times Southwest canceled our flights that weekend.  What did you all use to submit documentation of canceled flights?  I had a screen shot from my phone for the first time.  But when I go to SW and try to do history - it only shows the flight I actually made on Monday the 14th.  No e-mails of canceled flights were every received , it was all text messages.  I tried to screenshot them all - but as we all know now, after you get that text, you are in a race to the app to try to book a new flight.

Literally all I had was a text message saying our flights were cancelled and use these codes to book new flights. So yeah I was frantically searching to rebook and grabbed the first ones I could find. I submitted my original flight docs, the screenshot of my text saying flights were cancelled, and the new flight docs. I have no incremental flight cost but how the heck do you prove this is the first flight you could get?? I suspect they have to be aware of the  flight issues that weekend and will approve a request that is reasonable with sufficient doc. We will see, my claim is still in process.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Unless Aon has some kind of follow-up question or need for further documentation you very likely will not hear anything back until a final email saying approved or denied.  The process is so integrated into the Princess system (did you notice that when you first started the claim) that they feed directly back into Princess...especially when FCC is involved. (Personal experience).  It was not fast...maybe 20-25 days but everything eventually fell into place.  I just filed another claim a few minutes ago for the missed Sky Princess TA.

I did notice they already had my confirmation number. I figured it will take a few weeks, hoping it goes smoothly. If this is a good experience I may consider Princess insurance in the future instead of other travel insurance. 

• Like 1

You may need a statement from the airline giving the reason and duration of the delay. If AON asks for more information or denies the claim, contact your air line’s customer service  with your flight details so they can provide an official document instead of a screen shot. Insurance adjusters don’t operate on “being aware of a problem.” They want documented proof.

22 hours ago, Babr said:

You may need a statement from the airline giving the reason and duration of the delay. If AON asks for more information or denies the claim, contact your air line’s customer service  with your flight details so they can provide an official document instead of a screen shot. Insurance adjusters don’t operate on “being aware of a problem.” They want documented proof.

Yeah. I figured I would put the ball in AONs court so to speak. If they want further doc I will have to contact SW. I would guess they have gotten quite a few claims from that weekend. As of now my claim shows assigned and under review.