Post cruise delay and Princess Premium Travel Protection

Buckeye10640

50 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Yeah. I figured I would put the ball in AONs court so to speak. If they want further doc I will have to contact SW. I would guess they have gotten quite a few claims from that weekend. As of now my claim shows assigned and under review. 

It is called a common carrier statement of delay. AON may also require you to file with the airline for whatever compensation they offer in case of delay as required by their contract of carriage. 

You did the right thing to open a claim. It is a journey to get all the documentation in place.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 3:41 PM, ColoradoMom!! said:

I posted up thread - finally filed yesterday.  

Fairly easy process, but I had a tough time trying to document all the times Southwest canceled our flights that weekend.  What did you all use to submit documentation of canceled flights?  I had a screen shot from my phone for the first time.  But when I go to SW and try to do history - it only shows the flight I actually made on Monday the 14th.  No e-mails of canceled flights were every received , it was all text messages.  I tried to screenshot them all - but as we all know now, after you get that text, you are in a race to the app to try to book a new flight.

Anyone receive anything back besides a confirmation of claim received and in process yet?

We filed a claim with Aon for our cancelled cruise. We had a canceled flight because of snowstorm. We had an email stating the flight was canceled and why. We received an email today saying we are declined. That Aon said a canceled flight because of weather is not one of the reasons to receive a cash back refund.  It took 23 days to hear back from Aon. 

We did receive on board credits from Princess. The future credits did amount to the same we paid for the cruise. 

Thanks for the replies Buckeye and Babr!

You’re right, it’s a journey!
I hope this attachment comes through, but I did include this screenshot in my documentation. Hopefully you can see all of it.

Curlybelle2, since Princess canceled the cruise and gave you credit back, were you seeking compensation for your flight? 

8F36FBDE-4D87-453A-95A6-EBF09B69CFB3.jpeg

Edited by ColoradoMom!!

2 hours ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

Thanks for the replies Buckeye and Babr!

You’re right, it’s a journey!
I hope this attachment comes through, but I did include this screenshot in my documentation. Hopefully you can see all of it.

Curlybelle2, since Princess canceled the cruise and gave you credit back, were you seeking compensation for your flight? 

8F36FBDE-4D87-453A-95A6-EBF09B69CFB3.jpeg

We purchased flights on our own, didn't file claim with Aon. We did have insurance with the airline so filed a claim with them.  Airline insurance said they are still processing the claim. 

6 hours ago, curlybelle2 said:

We purchased flights on our own, didn't file claim with Aon. We did have insurance with the airline so filed a claim with them.  Airline insurance said they are still processing the claim. 

Our experience with a cancelled flight after a cruise. We had Platinum princess insurance.  Our flight from FLL to CLT got delayed by 5 + hours and the airline could not tell us if it would go or not.  So we rented a car drove to Savannah , rented a hotel room. Went to dinner and drinks.  Then drove home to CLT the next day.  I saved all the receipts,  got a statement from the airline about the delay/cancelation and submitted them all.  After 3 weeks or so, the insurance paid it all PLUS got a refund from the airline.   I WILL always get Princess insurance 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Denmal said:

Our experience with a cancelled flight after a cruise. We had Platinum princess insurance.  Our flight from FLL to CLT got delayed by 5 + hours and the airline could not tell us if it would go or not.  So we rented a car drove to Savannah , rented a hotel room. Went to dinner and drinks.  Then drove home to CLT the next day.  I saved all the receipts,  got a statement from the airline about the delay/cancelation and submitted them all.  After 3 weeks or so, the insurance paid it all PLUS got a refund from the airline.   I WILL always get Princess insurance 

We were surprised when we were declined. We also had Platinum princess insurance and had email from airline stating they cancelled the flight due to weather. But Aon said NO. I wonder if it's because we purchased flights ourselves and didn't use Princess EZAir. We are thinking if we want to fight with Aon or just use the credits. on a upcoming cruise.  

I am glad you got paid in full with no hassle! 🙂

23 minutes ago, curlybelle2 said:

We were surprised when we were declined. We also had Platinum princess insurance and had email from airline stating they cancelled the flight due to weather. But Aon said NO. I wonder if it's because we purchased flights ourselves and didn't use Princess EZAir. We are thinking if we want to fight with Aon or just use the credits. on a upcoming cruise.  

I am glad you got paid in full with no hassle! 🙂

I don’t understand why the claim was denied. I have not been able to download the certificate of insurance from the Princess website, so I can’t see the exact language of the policy; however, most policies cover cancellation caused by common carrier delay due to inclement weather, mechanical breakdown, or strike. Obviously, I don’t know all the details, but some important piece is missing.

15 minutes ago, Babr said:

I don’t understand why the claim was denied. I have not been able to download the certificate of insurance from the Princess website, so I can’t see the exact language of the policy; however, most policies cover cancellation caused by common carrier delay due to inclement weather, mechanical breakdown, or strike. Obviously, I don’t know all the details, but some important piece is missing.

Yes, we don't understand either. Part of the email states:

According to the information submitted, your cancellation was due to your flight being canceled due to bad weather.  Your reason for cancellation is not among the specified reasons listed in the program that would make one eligible for a cash refund under the Princess Cancellation Fee Waiver Program.

We wish to advise you that, in the event you purchased Princess Vacation Protection prior to making your final cruise vacation payment to Princess, you may be eligible to receive future travel credits.   If you are eligible, within the next few weeks, Princess will send you a credit for use on a future booking.

They did give us Future credits. We are calling tomorrow to get some answers.

8 hours ago, curlybelle2 said:

Yes, we don't understand either. Part of the email states:

According to the information submitted, your cancellation was due to your flight being canceled due to bad weather.  Your reason for cancellation is not among the specified reasons listed in the program that would make one eligible for a cash refund under the Princess Cancellation Fee Waiver Program.

We wish to advise you that, in the event you purchased Princess Vacation Protection prior to making your final cruise vacation payment to Princess, you may be eligible to receive future travel credits.   If you are eligible, within the next few weeks, Princess will send you a credit for use on a future booking.

They did give us Future credits. We are calling tomorrow to get some answers.

I have read the plan doc to understand how my situation, travel delay, should be handled. I took a look at the plan doc for trip cancellation and I do interpret it as you should receive a FCC from Princess. The AON cancellation coverage seems to be more for covered medical reasons, with Princess providing the CFAR coverage in the form of FCC. The 'common carrier' section seems to apply to travel delay coverage which is what I filed under.  Now if you had been traveling to your cruise, got stuck en route due to cancelled flights,  and missed your cruise I think the expenses portion (hotel, meals, flight changes, etc) might be covered by AON.  I am certinly no expert though as this is my first claim ever! And still waiting to see how mine turns out. Meantime I am learning alot about travel insurance!

On 3/14/2022 at 11:42 AM, pms4104 said:

I do not have first-hand experience in this situation.

You might want to post your question/issue on the Travel Insurance forum here on CC ... many knowledgeable people there.

We were delayed the week before Christmas for 3 days. We had the same insurance. Platinum thru princess.   Keep all receipts. They covered all but the tip for luggage at hotel. We were going from los angles to Omaha with layover in Vegas. We were stuck in Vegas. Not a bad place to be but not at Christmas after a cruise.  Hope all comes out ok. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I have read the plan doc to understand how my situation, travel delay, should be handled. I took a look at the plan doc for trip cancellation and I do interpret it as you should receive a FCC from Princess. The AON cancellation coverage seems to be more for covered medical reasons, with Princess providing the CFAR coverage in the form of FCC. The 'common carrier' section seems to apply to travel delay coverage which is what I filed under.  Now if you had been traveling to your cruise, got stuck en route due to cancelled flights,  and missed your cruise I think the expenses portion (hotel, meals, flight changes, etc) might be covered by AON.  I am certinly no expert though as this is my first claim ever! And still waiting to see how mine turns out. Meantime I am learning alot about travel insurance!

You are correct. We received FCC to use within the year. The FCC is for the total amount we paid for the cruise. So we will start looking for a new cruise! 

Thanks for you help. 

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

Anyone hear anything from claims submitted for that mess in Florida over the weekend of March 12-14th?  Mine still says "assigned".  But I wish I could see some progress.

Same here. I have considered calling but have not yet motivated myself to do so!

• Like 1

I had not even thought about filing a claim. Our SW flight was canceled from OK to FLL on Mar 12 for our Mar 13 cruise. There were no available flights on any airline from any airport we could drive to that would get us there before sailing. We drove straight through 25 hours and got on the ship at noon before the 3PM sailing. Needless to say, the gas for a >3000 mile round trip was a lot. Should I file on the Princess Vacation Protection? 

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2022 at 2:15 PM, ColoradoMom!! said:

Anyone hear anything from claims submitted for that mess in Florida over the weekend of March 12-14th?  Mine still says "assigned".  But I wish I could see some progress.

Well it took a while but they did reimburse us for what we submitted.  They sent an email asking for official flight cancellation verification (I sent them screenshot of the text from airline) but before I could get that from airline, I got another AON email saying we were approved.  Got our checks today!  Hope you all have the same luck!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 3:19 PM, luvseaside said:

Well it took a while but they did reimburse us for what we submitted.  They sent an email asking for official flight cancellation verification (I sent them screenshot of the text from airline) but before I could get that from airline, I got another AON email saying we were approved.  Got our checks today!  Hope you all have the same luck!

I am so glad to hear this Luvseaside! I was just coming to post my good news when I saw your post!

By chance I looked at my status on their website and it said my case closed today. 
I received an email about 5 hours later stating we will be receiving a check!! I am so relieved! 

Buckeye? Have you heard anything?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

I am so glad to hear this Luvseaside! I was just coming to post my good news when I saw your post!

By chance I looked at my status on their website and it said my case closed today. 
I received an email about 5 hours later stating we will be receiving a check!! I am so relieved! 

Buckeye? Have you heard anything?

I got the same request as luvseaside asking for verification from SW on the cancellation.  I have already provided a screenshot of the cancellation text I received when i submitted the claim. My claim is still in process. On a cruise now but plan to call them when I get home. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 5:19 PM, luvseaside said:

How long did it take?

We had a similar issue flight interruption but Mar 19-21 FLL.  Our flight was cancelled and no available flights for 2 days, found out as we were disembarking the ship.  Had to scramble to find a hotel, rebook flight just like Buckeye10640.  I screenshot everything I could…cancelled flight, availability on airline website, new booking, etc.

We got home Mar 21st and I filed a claim that evening.  Princess PVP insurance, still shows assigned.  Over 8 weeks ago.

I called AON from the hotel on March 19 and was told the hotel, meals, transportation were all covered under PVP and submit when I got home.

Has anyone heard back yet from the March spring break madness?

TIA

• 6 months later...

When similar happened to me due to mechanical reasons I first contacted the airline and requested reimbursement for some of the hotel bill since they have a nightly per diem max they allow for hotels during such situations. The hotel completely gouged me for $450 for a basic no frills room- surge pricing I am sure once they saw many flights cancelled.  The airline reimbursed a portion of the hotel ($200) and they gave me a goodwill flight voucher.

I then filed a claim with AON with the details of the cancelled flight (screenshots from phone), copy of the hotel bill, and copy of the $200 check received from airline and I asked if AON would consider paying any portion of the remaining $250 of the hotel bill.  The claim took a couple of months to work its way through the process but they accepted it and sent me a check for $250.

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

When similar happened to me due to mechanical reasons I first contacted the airline and requested reimbursement for some of the hotel bill since they have a nightly per diem max they allow for hotels during such situations. The hotel completely gouged me for $450 for a basic no frills room- surge pricing I am sure once they saw many flights cancelled.  The airline reimbursed a portion of the hotel ($200) and they gave me a goodwill flight voucher.

I then filed a claim with AON with the details of the cancelled flight (screenshots from phone), copy of the hotel bill, and copy of the $200 check received from airline and I asked if AON would consider paying any portion of the remaining $250 of the hotel bill.  The claim took a couple of months to work its way through the process but they accepted it and sent me a check for $250.

Thanks , I will keep this in mind to take screenshots & copies. Very helpful