Weather Last week of May/First Week of June

MrPhil101

Hi all,

Have not been on a cruise in 18 years, before that went many times, last one was to Tahiti with my wife on our honeymoon.  After 2 years of no vacations and my oldest daughter turning 16, we decided to try again. Since we're based in NY, though it might be easier to start with Bermuda. I'm looking at the Joy for the last week in May, first week in June.   My main concern is it warm enough to go swimming? My wife want's to go elsewhere, since she thinks it will be too cold (no cruise) .  I know weather is a very variable thing, but would like some advise from those that have been there before at this time. 

I figured this would be a great introduction to get us back to cruising, i think my daughters would love it.

1 hour ago, MrPhil101 said:

Hi all,

Have not been on a cruise in 18 years, before that went many times, last one was to Tahiti with my wife on our honeymoon.  After 2 years of no vacations and my oldest daughter turning 16, we decided to try again. Since we're based in NY, though it might be easier to start with Bermuda. I'm looking at the Joy for the last week in May, first week in June.   My main concern is it warm enough to go swimming? My wife want's to go elsewhere, since she thinks it will be too cold (no cruise) .  I know weather is a very variable thing, but would like some advise from those that have been there before at this time. 

I figured this would be a great introduction to get us back to cruising, i think my daughters would love it.

That is exactly the time period that most consider to be the start of the beach season in Bermuda .

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MrPhil101 said:

My main concern is it warm enough to go swimming?

It is warm enough if you walk in and give your body time to get used to it. So it may feel cool initially.  For less than a minute. I go around that time of year and stay in the water for a long time. It is not warm then like the Caribbean. The air temperature is warm enough and less humid than later in the season. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

I think beach season starts May 24.  According to web sites the average high in June is 81 degrees.  Water temperature 78 degrees.

Personally, I think June is a very good time to go to Bermuda and go to the pink sand beaches.

Also, personally, I think the water around NYC (eg Jones Beach) is NEVER warm enough for swimming.

The point is you have to decide for yourself what is comfortable beach weather.

• Like 1

I have cruised to Bermuda end of May to beginning of June once and once in Sept.  It was pretty cool on the ship outside esp . At night. Sept was much more comfortable.  We has had strong winds and Portuguese Man of War jellyfish were present at Horse Bay beach and my cousin was stung by one.  That was during our late May early June cruise.  We did not see any or hear anyone getting stung during our Sept cruise. We are planning to cruise to Bermuda  late July this year and hope we don’t encounter them again.  I understand if winds blowing a certain way more likely to encounter them.  Bermuda is a gorgeous island and I can’t wait to return.

• Like 1

We sailed the last week of May in 2019 and we had absolutely beautiful weather.   

If my memory serves me correct, we also did encounter some jellyfish at Horseshoe Bay but it did not dampen our beach day at all.  

• Like 1