Eufy security with MedallionNet

minnesotasisu

We have an Eufy camera security system at home which normally allows us to receive alerts and view any of our security cameras if we have internet access. However on a recent cruise onboard the Enchanted Princess we had trouble connecting to our Eufy system through the MedallionNet wifi system. We did get notifications that our cameras were picking up somehow but we could not view the event or see "live" views as we normally do. I was in contact with the Eufy help support staff and they thought it was an issue with their latest version. They had me try a number of fixes with no avail. In the end they said it might be an issue with the network I was using. We had fast internet access throughout the cruise so I don't suspect that speed was an issue.

Has anyone else had similar issues connected to their Eufy system while cruising? (We were able to connect to our Eufy vacuum so that sucked....)

It would help if you shared what the itinerary was...

As far as the Eufy system goes...it most likely was NOT due to your camera system.  Almost certainly was a bandwidth issue in using the MedallionNet WiFi at sea.  I *know* that Princess touts it as "the best Internet at sea:...but depending on the particular location and which ocean...you may have little to no service!  Just ask the people on the Sky right now who are doing a transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton.  Oh wait...you can't! Because they have practically ZERO internet.

Any type of video intensive system takes a lot of signal bandwidth and in situations like the Sky, bandwidth is EXTREMELY limited.  You are lucky to get a very short email or text (if using iPhone) out to the world.

7 minutes ago, minnesotasisu said:

We were sailing the Southern Caribbean February 28 - March 10 on the Enchanted Princess. We were able to watch other people's videos on Facebook and Snapchat so I'm not sure bandwidth was the issue

I agree.  Could be a firewall issue with restricting your system.  Just a guess as I have heard of firewall issue before.

• Like 1

I am interested in having a viewable home security while cruising, but I know nothing about them. Interested in reading posts here and learning.

All I can think of is when logging onto the MedallionNet, they request you turn on airplane mode, which stops updates and location access. Being a security app, this possibly might affect what you could view. Try airplane mode at home and see what happens.

Edited by mtnesterz

We use Eufy and my husband tried several times to connect to it while we were on our cruise on the Regal last month.  He couldn't connect at all while we were at sea.  He did connect to it while we were in Cozumel using data.  Medallion Net was otherwise quite good but it does not seem to like Eufy (and Cruise Critic at times!).

• Like 1

Just back from a week in the Caribbean on Sky.  Internet was great - fast and no issues with streaming, Facebook, emails, etc.

But, could never connect to our Eufy cameras always receiving a network error.

Disappointing as they work so well at home. 

I also would be happy if someone could come up with a workaround.

The point of having them is to check on your home while you are away !!

• Like 1