16 days out and covid hits

Megabear2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Cruiserjules has indicated from her quarantine on Azura:

"At 5pm we were moved to our separate isolation cabins, where, according to the medical centre, they have enhanced air conditioning".

Has this enhanced air conditioning been referred to previously?  Perhaps that's the reason for moving people and having blocks?

I think this is someone telling people what they want them to believe. I worked in the Pharmaceutical industry for over 30 years and have a good understanding of air handling and filtration systems. I know that some of the big cruise companies upgraded their systems during shutdown, but the scope of that was to make them one pass as opposed to recycled air. This is a better system albeit very expensive, however it is far from perfect. I still don't see how the air conditioning would be any better in isolation cabins than any other cabin. If it was the case the cruise lines would be shouting it from the rooftops. Plus if people in isolation cabins already have covid you would think they would put the people who don't have it in "enhanced" cabins to try and avoid them getting it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Cruiserjules has indicated from her quarantine on Azura:

"At 5pm we were moved to our separate isolation cabins, where, according to the medical centre, they have enhanced air conditioning".

Has this enhanced air conditioning been referred to previously?  Perhaps that's the reason for moving people and having blocks?

The best possible enhanced air conditioning for any internal environment (but frequently impracticable) is open windows and/or doors.  A balcony, in the case of a cruise ship.

As you quoted me, I must say that the air conditioning here at the back is definitely my much more efficient than it was in our cabin at the very front!

Had a knock on the door this morning, someone "doing a survey to see if I am ok" and as I was speaking to the guy, his colleague was knocking on the two doors opposite - inside cabins.

Isolation had been awful in a balcony cabin, as I am separated from my husband (he's positive, I am negative), but I can't begin to imagine what it would be like in an inside cabin.

There's s lot of us here in isolation, I shall be glad to be out tomorrow, and hopefully Dave the day after providing his tests are ok.

Have to add that P&O are looking after us very well.

Jules

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruiserjules said:

As you quoted me, I must say that the air conditioning here at the back is definitely my much more efficient than it was in our cabin at the very front!

Had a knock on the door this morning, someone "doing a survey to see if I am ok" and as I was speaking to the guy, his colleague was knocking on the two doors opposite - inside cabins.

Isolation had been awful in a balcony cabin, as I am separated from my husband (he's positive, I am negative), but I can't begin to imagine what it would be like in an inside cabin.

There's s lot of us here in isolation, I shall be glad to be out tomorrow, and hopefully Dave the day after providing his tests are ok.

Have to add that P&O are looking after us very well.

Jules

I had two 48 hour isolations in an outside cabin on Oceana a few years ago. I doubted my sanity and felt like banging my head against the walls.

• Like 1

My original post was to highlight what happens when you get a positive result and how well P&O have treated us, not to spark a debate on air conditioning on the ship. I've never been in an aft cabin before but I'm convinced that when the cabin door is closed,  the Aircon in this cabin is more efficient. It may be that in our first cabin it wasn't working properly, I don't know, I'm not an expert, just going on how things feel.  Hoping to return to the original cabin tomorrow for a better comparison.

Edited by Cruiserjules
Spelling - using a mobile phone to post
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruiserjules said:

My original post was to highlight what happens when you get a positive result and how well P&O have treated us, not to spark a debate on air conditioning on the ship. I've never been in an aft cabin before but I'm convinced that when the cabin door is closed,  the Aircon in this cabin is more efficient. It may be that in our first cabin it wasn't working properly, I don't know, I'm not an expert, just going on how things feel.  Hoping to return to the original cabin tomorrow for a better comparison.

Sorry you thought you were being used for debate. I just thought what you'd been told sounded reasonable.  I hope all goes well for your ending quarantine and I'm glad they're looking after you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

I had two 48 hour isolations in an outside cabin on Oceana a few years ago. I doubted my sanity and felt like banging my head against the walls.

I felt that I was losing the plot during 6 sea days in a row when we did a round trip USA & Canada cruise and we had the full run of the ship. I just cannot comprehend being confined to a cabin, even a suite, for days on end, however well P&O treat me. It would drive me absolutely nuts. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

Seen on a staff area wall in the documentary on the Royal Free Hospital on TV tonight, a poster which had a large circle with the words: "Bang head here"!

Well last free test used this morning and I'm still positive - big bold line. This is day 10 which is my "release date" under the old system.  I finished the antiviral medicine yesterday.

The worry to me would be if I was on a ship I'd be starting into a second batch of 10 days quarantine as the rules stand. That would be okay on a normal 14 day sail to Southampton cruise but assumedly if I was on a fly cruise I'd not be allowed to fly?  What would P&O do with me, or do they wash their hands in say Malta?

Has some relevance going forward as have been unable to find a suitable May date for my Auntie as she's just informed me she has a forgotten appointment for cataract removal on 2 May. As a result we had been looking at Azira fly cruises.