Specialty dining on Mardi Gras

Seekup

I'm confused as to what is considered a specialty restaurant and the cost. Has anyone found a good summary?

Like Chibang and Pig and Anchor. Are they extra? Or just certain items on their menu an additional charge?

Thanks!

Basically ,the ones you can book ahead, the Steakhouse, hibachi, sushi, and Rudy's, and currently extra cost along with Emerils. The others are supposed to become extra cost after the "inaugural season" whenever they choose to end that. 

Thanks! That makes sense.

We sail in 6 weeks and the only options to make reservations are Rudy's, steakhouse and Bonsai. But then if you look at specialty dining otions it said several other restaurants are an upcharge. It was totally confusing me, but I see now.

Edited by Seekup

But for Chibang, Cucina and P&ABBQ, you still need to make reservations.  And Seated Dining (not YTD) has limiations on times they can book.

Carnival is doing this to help alleviate the crowding in YTD venues during COVID separation.

Agree with crewsweeper, we had late seating on our Jan 2nd cruise as that has been our standard.  This ship it was a mistake due to conflicts with shows ( so much to do) and alternate dining.  We just booked July 9th and have anytime or your time dining.   We did eat at Cucina no charge.  This trip want to get to Rudy's.    We were also able to fit in P&A for a brunch at sea, was delicious. 

Enjoy!  🙂 

One more question. It appears that these typical fee restaurants will require a reservation. I don't see where I can make them ahead of time. Can I make them asap after boarding?

Chibang, Cucina, and Pig and Anchor are all now, and will continue to be, free on the Mardi Gras.  You can't make reservations in advance but only on the ship when you want to dine. The MDR was purposely made too small to accommodate everyone with the expectation that people would also eat in the specialty restaurants.  The three listed are part of anytime dining.  When you check in to anytime dining, you have the option to choose first available,  which will get you the MDR, Chibang or Cucina. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kicia said:

Chibang, Cucina, and Pig and Anchor are all now, and will continue to be, free on the Mardi Gras.  You can't make reservations in advance but only on the ship when you want to dine. The MDR was purposely made too small to accommodate everyone with the expectation that people would also eat in the specialty restaurants.  The three listed are part of anytime dining.  When you check in to anytime dining, you have the option to choose first available,  which will get you the MDR, Chibang or Cucina. 

Thanks! I sound like I've never cruised before! We've been on 20+ but not Carnival in a very long time. Hoping we like the Mardi Gras 🙂

Does carnival have this information posted anywhere official?

I prefer to have some paperwork to take along as there's been too many times things get changed / altered and what was included or was free was not the case when on the ship.

13 minutes ago, Moparfiend said:

I prefer to have some paperwork to take along as there's been too many times things get changed / altered and what was included or was free was not the case when on the ship.

Carnival isn't promising these venues will remain free. Its subject to change at any time. The were originally designed to be upcharge restaurants, and everything official says they are "free for the inaugural season" but never specifies a date for that. They set it up this way due to Covid. It was never intended to happen. When and if Covid eases back I expect these to transition to for cost bookings. They could choose to do that at any time. 

Edited by cheer25mom

In the "pay for" specialty restaurants, is the gratuity included?  The reason I am asking is that we just sailed the Mardi Gras and in Rudi's and the Steakhouse and when you sign the receipt provided there is an additional line that states "additional gratuity" and we couldn't get any of the servers to answer our question.  Anyone know?

On 3/17/2022 at 10:51 AM, Moparfiend said:

Very smart to carry your "paper proof" as we just experienced the need on our MG cruise.

On 3/17/2022 at 8:51 AM, Moparfiend said:

I'm sure if they changed it they'd just tell you that your paper is outdated.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:42 AM, Seekup said:

Thanks! I sound like I've never cruised before! We've been on 20+ but not Carnival in a very long time. Hoping we like the Mardi Gras 🙂

You will love Mardi Gras once you figure out where everything is!  Entertainment is top notch. We loved Emeril's, not so much Steakhouse and Rudi's.  Lido did not enjoy. Big Chicken is a win! Pizza and Deli sandwiches also a win! You will always find something you like.  We will definitely sail again on MG but not until the fall when the kids are back in school!  Just a further note, all the bars are always crowded and staffing is not yet up to par but who cares, you are on vacation and in no hurry!

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 1:44 PM, crewsweeper said:

But for Chibang, Cucina and P&ABBQ, you still need to make reservations.  And Seated Dining (not YTD) has limiations on times they can book.

Carnival is doing this to help alleviate the crowding in YTD venues during COVID separation.

You can just check in via the Carnival app. Even before you check in you can see approximate wait times and pick accordingly. On our sailing I don't think there was ever a wait for the BBQ.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:51 AM, Moparfiend said:

It's a promotion and promotions are always subject to change without notice.

On 3/19/2022 at 12:02 PM, silversneakers said:

In the "pay for" specialty restaurants, is the gratuity included?  The reason I am asking is that we just sailed the Mardi Gras and in Rudi's and the Steakhouse and when you sign the receipt provided there is an additional line that states "additional gratuity" and we couldn't get any of the servers to answer our question.  Anyone know?

A nominal gratuity is included. Many people leave more.

Reservation fees are $38 per adult and $12 for kids 11 and under. This includes an entrée, appetizer, salad, side, dessert and a gratuity for your wait staff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

A nominal gratuity is included. Many people leave more.

Reservation fees are $38 per adult and $12 for kids 11 and under. This includes an entrée, appetizer, salad, side, dessert and a gratuity for your wait staff.

Thank you.

On 3/16/2022 at 2:44 PM, crewsweeper said:

Pig & Anchor did not require a check-in on the app, we just walked up to the hostess stand and were seated immediately.

On 3/17/2022 at 11:04 AM, cheer25mom said:

Carnival isn't promising these venues will remain free. Its subject to change at any time. The were originally designed to be upcharge restaurants, and everything official says they are "free for the inaugural season" but never specifies a date for that. They set it up this way due to Covid. It was never intended to happen. When and if Covid eases back I expect these to transition to for cost bookings. They could choose to do that at any time. 

While Carnival isn't promising anything, John Heald has stated several times that these venues will remain free.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 6:08 PM, cruisemom2 said:

While Carnival isn't promising anything, John Heald has stated several times that these venues will remain free.

through the inaugural season is all he has promised. Those statements have been purposely vague. 

We sail on the Mardi Gras this coming Saturday and have Your Time Dining.  Last Saturday we got an email explaining that Chibang, Cucina and Pig and Anchor would be complimentary.  I assume that if they decide to change that, they will stop sending those emails.  

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 7:23 PM, Seekup said:

One more question. It appears that these typical fee restaurants will require a reservation. I don't see where I can make them ahead of time. Can I make them asap after boarding?

Use your Carnival Hub App once on board. If you have YTD you have priority.

• Like 1