Cozumel Snorkel Tours

Yakker1749

Good, not great, snorkeling from the shore at the Money Bar.  No admission fee, good facilities, good food/drinks (pay as you go).  Taxi from the piers should be about $12+  They have loungers, etc. so that you can relax and spend several hours or the day there in between snorkeling - plus a happy hour around sunset if your ship stays late.

Main cenotes on mainland. Small cenote with ATV/buggy(?) tour see @mitsugirlyblog for review. Maybe also Pearl Farm review for something different.

Beaches usually recommended for teenagers. - Paradise Beach or Mr Sanchos.

Waverunners from northern beach club next to Playa Azul. 

Electric bike excursions.

Edited by c-leg5

I haven't gone yet (my excursion date is March 29) so this is NOT a recommendation.

We are doing the snorkel excursion through www.carnivalcruiseexcursions.net (for some reason I cannot link it here).  It's $50 pp and includes guacamole, fruit and non-alcoholic (as well as alcoholic) beverages.  We don't drink alcohol so that's why we picked this one.

Our experience in Cozumel is that snorkeling from certain spots from the shore is a better experience than boat snorkeling. If you get a little ways out from the island, there can be quite a bit of current that makes the snorkeling somewhat unpleasant at times. If you look on Viator or another travel site, there are a few unique options (ATVs for example, as @c-leg5 mentioned). There are some horseback riding options. Also a few places that have the inflatable toys in the water, kayaks or paddleboards. You could go to the mainland on the ferry if you have enough time and you're willing to risk being seasick to see Mayan ruins or head down to Xcaret (preferably with a ship tour if you want to do this due to timing risks).

I'm just gonna go out on a limb and suggest something different for shore snorkeling that I thought was very beautiful and unique...Skyreef. I was super amazed at that place. I have NEVER seen so many different colored sea fans all in one place and the snorkeling was so much fun (and I snorkel everywhere in the Caribbean and it takes a lot to impress me). It was just so unique and beautiful.

Check out my review from the day we were there located HERE on my blog. 

We had a great time doing the Buggies to Jade Caverns tour with Wild Tours. It was a great day and fun to drive the buggies and my daughter had fun jumping off the rocks into the caverns. Review is located HERE. 

The Pearl Farm is also something unique in Cozumel, which was a low-key day at a deserted beach they have with lunch they make, a tour of their farm (which was very interesting) and some snorkeling out to the pearl farm to see how it works. Very different than a normal snorkeling tour and the people are awesome! Review HERE

If you want an actual boat snorkeling tour we had a great tour to El Cielo which took us to Palancar to snorkel, Columbia and the El Cielo Sandbar. They prepared fresh food on the boat and the sandbar was neat as well (we've been to several and they are always cool). The snorkeling is out a ways, which means the actual reef area will be further down, which means a little harder to see all the beauty unless you are diving, but I'm not sure what you are looking for or your expectations when it comes to snorkeling. I'm a picture-taker, so I like to be up close to the reef for better pictures and seeing all the nooks and critters within them. 🙂  That excursion review is located HERE

Other "different" types of things...have you ever considered doing SeaTrek? We always have such a good time when we find one of these (and have done them at different places and each is unique). It's definitely something "different" than your normal beach day. SeaTrek HERE

Then last but not least for something different...try doing a Discover Scuba with Sunset Bar & Grill. It was a lot of fun as well and had sculptures in the water and a neat story behind it. Check it out HERE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, LadyMac72 said:

https://cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/snorkel-in-cozumel.html

This is the snorkel tour we are doing. They're providing my son a birthday cake too!  😄

I have the El Cielo Snorkel booked through this website for April 1st; can't wait!

The website is really slow and bogs my old computer down...

• Like 1

This is the snorkel tour we are doing. They're providing my son a birthday cake too! 

This is the snorkel tour we are doing. They're providing my son a birthday cake too!  😄

26 minutes ago, day-day said:

I have the El Cielo Snorkel booked through this website for April 1st; can't wait!

The website is really slow and bogs my old computer down...

Be sure to report back and let us know how it goes. There have been mixed reports about this company in the past.

I think that was who @mitsugirly used above and it would be interesting to know how it compares  now and if they are still using the same vendor. It has never been clear if they subcontract.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

Back in November we booked this excursion:  https://www.tortugascozumel.com/privateboats

It was a great experience, the captain, tour guide and photographer were all super friendly.  We had 7 people from our group go and it was nice to have the small boat to our group only.  Water was beautiful.  The food and drinks were good.  We hung around the beach club afterwards before heading back to ship.  Easy to get a taxi to and from the location.  

9 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Thank you @mitsugirlyfor all the information. We are doing the El Cielo tour with the same company. After seeing SjyReef, I started to second guess that decision. I think we will still go to El Cielo because the next day we have a beach/bar/snorkel day in West Bay Roatan. 

You are welcome and I hope whatever you do you have a blast!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 7:36 AM, mitsugirly said:

I'm just gonna go out on a limb and suggest something different for shore snorkeling that I thought was very beautiful and unique...Skyreef. I was super amazed at that place. I have NEVER seen so many different colored sea fans all in one place and the snorkeling was so much fun (and I snorkel everywhere in the Caribbean and it takes a lot to impress me). It was just so unique and beautiful.

Check out my review from the day we were there located HERE on my blog. 

We had a great time doing the Buggies to Jade Caverns tour with Wild Tours. It was a great day and fun to drive the buggies and my daughter had fun jumping off the rocks into the caverns. Review is located HERE. 

The Pearl Farm is also something unique in Cozumel, which was a low-key day at a deserted beach they have with lunch they make, a tour of their farm (which was very interesting) and some snorkeling out to the pearl farm to see how it works. Very different than a normal snorkeling tour and the people are awesome! Review HERE

If you want an actual boat snorkeling tour we had a great tour to El Cielo which took us to Palancar to snorkel, Columbia and the El Cielo Sandbar. They prepared fresh food on the boat and the sandbar was neat as well (we've been to several and they are always cool). The snorkeling is out a ways, which means the actual reef area will be further down, which means a little harder to see all the beauty unless you are diving, but I'm not sure what you are looking for or your expectations when it comes to snorkeling. I'm a picture-taker, so I like to be up close to the reef for better pictures and seeing all the nooks and critters within them. 🙂  That excursion review is located HERE

Other "different" types of things...have you ever considered doing SeaTrek? We always have such a good time when we find one of these (and have done them at different places and each is unique). It's definitely something "different" than your normal beach day. SeaTrek HERE

Then last but not least for something different...try doing a Discover Scuba with Sunset Bar & Grill. It was a lot of fun as well and had sculptures in the water and a neat story behind it. Check it out HERE.

On the Glory now and have decided to do a snorkel day rather than Paradise Beach- can you just get a taxi to sky reef? (Internet coverage is spotty so having trouble researching). 

1 hour ago, PaulaBinMississippi said:

On the Glory now and have decided to do a snorkel day rather than Paradise Beach- can you just get a taxi to sky reef? (Internet coverage is spotty so having trouble researching). 

Yes

Just got back from Cozumel (and boy do I have the sunburn to prove it).  We did a snorkel tour with CozumelCruiseExcursions.net... which is actually just a consolidator.  It didn't start off too great and I was initially unhappy.... the meet up wasn't smooth and I felt like when we got to the marina, we sat there for a while waiting for everyone else to show up.

And then we got started and my whole opinion changed.  We went out about 35 minutes and got into the water at Palencar & Columbia Reef and it was fantastic (we brought our own mask and snorkel).  The guides took pictures of us and led us around.  So many fish!  I can't describe how wonderful and relaxing it was to float and see all the way to bottom.  After that we went to El Cielo and saw the big sea stars.  The water was so clear and not very deep.  Beautiful.  Finally we went to sandbar where there were stingrays and the guides made us guacamole and pico de gallo.  Very shallow water that was a brilliant blue.  All and all we were out on the water for about 4 1/2 hours.  It cost $50 pp.  We had a great time and made it back our cruise ship in plenty of time.

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2022 at 3:27 PM, c-leg5 said:

Be sure to report back and let us know how it goes. There have been mixed reports about this company in the past.

I think that was who @mitsugirly used above and it would be interesting to know how it compares  now and if they are still using the same vendor. It has never been clear if they subcontract.

Hit or miss is right; a miss for me.  My El Cielo Snorkel tour scheduled with Cozumelcruiseexcursions.net was evidently canceled for yesterday (Friday, April 1).  I waited at the designated location but finally gave up and found another activity.  The meeting time was 9:30am and I was there from 9:15am to 10:00am.  The ship was scheduled to leave at 3:30pm so I didn't want to wait any longer.

I emailed the company when I returned to the ship.  They apologized for the inconvenience and stated that they only got my voicemail when they tried to contact my phone.  I didn't bring my phone or have phone service...  I don't know why they were unable to do the trip; they only stated that "we couldn't meet you".  Maybe they didn't have enough participants or met some delay.  They have already refunded my down-payment and have offered me a 20% discount for my next visit.  I do not plan to use them again.

Edited by day-day

30 minutes ago, day-day said:

Hit or miss is right; a miss for me.  My El Cielo Snorkel tour scheduled with Cozumelcruiseexcursions.net was evidently canceled for yesterday (Friday, April 1).  I waited at the designated location but finally gave up and found another activity.  The meeting time was 9:30am and I was there from 9:15am to 10:00am.  The ship was scheduled to leave at 3:30pm so I didn't want to wait any longer.

I emailed the company when I returned to the ship.  They apologized for the inconvenience and stated that they only got my voicemail when they tried to contact my phone.  I didn't bring my phone or have phone service...  I don't know why they were unable to do the trip; they only stated that "we couldn't meet you".  Maybe they didn't have enough participants or met some delay.  They have already refunded my down-payment and have offered me a 20% discount for my next visit.  I do not plan to use them again.

Thanks for reporting back and so sorry you missed the tour you were looking forward to. Sadly this has been the case from previous reviews on different tours over the years. I have long since suspected they were a consolidater as the PP confirmed. I am glad you were able to find an alternative activity and your day wasn’t completely wasted. 

I would really like to do the El Cielo tour but am chicken these days regarding the deep water snorkeling.

• Like 1