Specific FCC question

Whirled Peas

I was booked on a cruise last year that was cancelled.  The other passenger on the booking was my sister, but all of the funds paid in at the time of cancellation (about half the total cost of the cruise) were from me.  I agreed to accept a FCC rather than a refund.  Now, I want to use the FCC to book a cruise for me and my husband.  My travel agent says I can't do that.  I can only use the FCC for the two passengers booked on the original cruise that was cancelled.  The cost of the new cruise (only 5 days) is almost exactly the same as the total amount of the FCC.  So it's not as if I can use the FCC for my share of the cruise fare and pay for my husband's share.  Has anyone else run into this situation?  It's all my money, not my sister's.  

It's been a long time since we had FCC and that was only temporarily until I requested a refund. That said, I think you are getting correct information from your travel agent. I'm pretty sure the way it works is that the FCC from your canceled cruise would have been split between the two Cunard World Club accounts of the passengers on your original booking (you and your sister).

It doesn't matter who paid for the cruise. What matters is who was on the booking for the canceled cruise and the fare paid for each person on that booking. In the case of our canceled cruise, for the short time we had FCC, half of that FCC was on my wife's CWC account and the other half of the FCC was on my CWC account.

Now you'd like to book a new cruise for you and your husband. Unfortunately, since your sister won't be on the new booking, the FCC applied to her CWC account isn't available for you to pay for that new booking. FCC is not transferable, but any excess FCC can be used to pay for others on a new booking as long as the person credited with the FCC is on that new booking.

Hope this helps clarify your FCC situation. As always, I'll gladly stand corrected if I have any of this wrong.

You could talk to Cunard and explain situation,  especially if you can show original payment was from your credit  or debit card. Worth trying.

If not you can request (Demand)  refund, you will only get 100% not the 125% refund. If it doesn't go well as a final pitch, you could say to Cunard, either let me use the FCC for my husband and I,  or will demand a refund and cruise with someone  else. 

Just thinking out loud here. Others may be able to say if these are non-starters.

If the FCC's are held separately in your individual accounts, could you (or your sister) request a refund for your sister's FCC (obviously only getting the 100% cash value)? Allowing you to keep the benefit of your half of the FCC for the new booking. Or are they still tied together because they came from the same booking?

Alternatively, what would be the costs involved in booking the new cruise as you and your sister, then doing a name change of the second person to your husband?