New Wifi on QE

rakkor

2 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Minority opinion: I prefer to be “forced” off connectivity while on board. It helps change our focus to what’s before us, including each other.

I think that is why Carnival has left (will leave) Cunard technology last to improve - they feel the majority of passengers don't care about it that much. Better to focus first on the Princess etc... who shout most and are bigger brands in terms of passengers numbers.

Even though the title of this thread is QE, it appears that the wifi on the QM2 is now billed at the daily rate rather than by the minute? I was prowling around My Cunard in prep for a July QM2 voyage and was surprised to land on a page touting the "improved wifi", along with the new rates and the revised World Club benefits. Now I can't find it! I was surprised that the wifi was "improved" on the QM2 and I'm wondering if the page I landed on was just another example of the inconsistent Cunard website?

Does anyone know yet (the changes haven't been in force long); if on a round trip Southampton -> New York -> Southampton would the 'Whole Voyage' price require 14 days payment?

We'd be picking up a 4G/5G signal until clear of UK coast and same in range of US networks, both being included in our French mobile plans so only really need WiFi for about 5 days each way (in order to satisfy demands on CC to post photos! 🤣).

Thanks, that's the page I had landed on. My impression, at first, was that this change was on the QE as a result of some drydock work. However. If it's Fleetwide, I suppose the "improvement" could simply be a better satellite link and that the interior infrastructure is the same.

2 minutes ago, D&N said:

would the 'Whole Voyage' price require 14 days payment

I don't know. There was a similar discussion on this topic about a year ago, with conflicting answers as to whether the allotment was based on booking number or by the voyage.

I did just do the math for an 18 day voyage, taking sea and Port days into account. In my case, it would pay to use the day rate rather than for the entire voyage. I wonder how a day is calculated? Is it 24 hours from when you log on?

39 minutes ago, D&N said:

would the 'Whole Voyage' price require 14 days payment?

This doesn't directly answer your question, but it's close. This was the discussion I recalled with Onboard Credit and when it refreshed:

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

This doesn't directly answer your question, but it's close.........

Thanks. I dare say we'll find out when we board. I seem to have loosely budgeted for $220 for the round trip on old system. $280 (premium) isn't that much more, or we could just select individual periods of 24 hours when we want to upload/post things, if it is 24 hours of course. With the time changes calendar days would be problematic. I already planned to back up photos to cloud in New York and UK and use cards/USB sticks in between so it's not critical. Hopefully we won't have any file storage failures anyway!

An observation from my recent TA - the discounted entire trip rate of $105 for 7 days, reduced proportionally each day.  So if you waited until the morning after we departed the price came down to $90.  Seeing as you get mobile phone connectivity for most of the first evening anyway this allows you to save a bit of money.

Edited by Se1lad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Frankp01 and D&N, the 24 hours is the actual 24 hours from when you log on and start it. It doesn't expire at midnight. We found that if you log on a little later in the day, we could get enough use on 2 days from your 24 hours. Eg by starting your 24 hours early afternoon, you have the rest of the day, plus the morning the next day. As long as you don't need the WiFi at specific times in the day.

Edited by Camgirl
Autocorrect
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Camgirl said:

We found that if you log on a little later in the day, we could get enough use on 2 days from your 24 hours.

That's a useful tip. I've already plotted out which days we'll use wifi on our next two trips, taking port days into account. And, because there are two of us, we can use our World Club benefits end-to-end. Buying the plan for the entire voyage would only allow one World Club benefit to be applied. I realize that the plan only allows one device, but I have a tiny portable travel router that would let us share a plan.

Edited by frankp01
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Se1lad said:

An observation from my recent TA - the discounted entire trip rate of $105 for 7 days, reduced proportionally each day.

Thanks, that's a valuable tip. I mostly need to be online during weekdays. Our next trips leaves on a Friday, so I'll be able to access the terrestrial network that day, and really won't need wifi until Monday. At that point, if the 'entire voyage' plan is still available I might grab it. 

On 5/4/2022 at 6:03 PM, ivanidea said:

I'm disappointed to read that our free Wi-Fi perk is no more.  As a light user, I find the 4 hours more than adequate for a 2 week cruise.  No way will I pay up to $30 per day for internet, especially if it is restricted.

Whilst unlimited internet is the way forward, and other cruise lines do this well, I think Cunard are charging too much, whilst devaluing the value of their loyalty scheme.

You can also see it the other way around. For someone who needs a 24/7 connection (e.g. for texting/calling), the new plans are MUCH cheaper.

I think the best idea would be to offer both types of offers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

That's a useful tip. I've already plotted out which days we'll use wifi on our next two trips, taking port days into account. And, because there are two of us, we can use our World Club benefits end-to-end. Buying the plan for the entire voyage would only allow one World Club benefit to be applied. I realize that the plan only allows one device, but I have a tiny portable travel router that would let us share a plan.

We managed to tether our two mobile phones over Bluetooth in order to both use the WiFi at the same time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Camgirl said:

We managed to tether our two mobile phones over Bluetooth

This thing is 2" on a side, and weighs nothing. It lets us create our own private wifi network. I'm actually thinking that, if I power it with an external battery (like used for recharging phones) I might be able to set it in the hallway, where the wifi signal is stronger, and thus repeat the signal to our cabin. That would prevent me from having to sit in the hallway to get a decent signal. I'm really looking forward to trying that.

HooToo access point.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, that's a valuable tip. I mostly need to be online during weekdays. Our next trips leaves on a Friday, so I'll be able to access the terrestrial network that day, and really won't need wifi until Monday. At that point, if the 'entire voyage' plan is still available I might grab it. 

I was able to get the plan for $45 (i.e. the amount you get free as gold) from Thursday morning, and it worked until arrival in Southampton until Sunday morning.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

I was able to get the plan for $45 (i.e. the amount you get free as gold) from Thursday morning

Thanks for that confirmation. I think I'm going to like this change, if I game it properly.

• Like 1

Thanks for that confirmation. I think I'm going to like this change, if I game it properly.

I was travelling with another gold - we used one package at a time for our 2 devices - works fine provided you don’t use both devices at the same time.  

As we still had mobile data on Sunday night when we departed from New York we used a single 24 hours @ $20 from Monday lunchtime to Tuesday lunchtime, and another $20 from Wednesday morning to Thursday morning. We then switched to the other account and used the $45 (3 x $15) for the remainder of the trip.  This resulted in no charge for internet access for our trip.

All you need to do is register each cruise card separately to get the 2 free allowances.

Edited by Se1lad
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, frankp01 said:

I would be very interested in hearing how you go with the router - I have similar  and I was wondering about using it too. 

We are on QE on the Southampton to Fort Lauderdale sector at the moment. Paying $20 for 24 hours internet out of my $135  allowance.   However due to the time changes we are not receiving 24 hours, today it will only be 20 hours.  By the time we reach FL we will be out by 15 hours in total.  Pursers have had many complaints and await Cunard HQ  to resolve this.

5 hours ago, addo said:

We are on QE on the Southampton to Fort Lauderdale sector at the moment. Paying $20 for 24 hours internet out of my $135  allowance.   However due to the time changes we are not receiving 24 hours, today it will only be 20 hours.  By the time we reach FL we will be out by 15 hours in total.  Pursers have had many complaints and await Cunard HQ  to resolve this.

My experience on an eastbound TA was that you got exactly 24 hours of access.  So if I purchased it at 10am, and the clocks went forward an hour at 12 noon, it ran until 11am the following morning.  

I would expect the reverse to happen on a westbound TA, e.g if I purchased at 10am, and the clocks went back overnight, the package would run until 9am the following morning.

11 hours ago, techteach said:

I hope the hootoo works. Please let us know.

We can't wait to be back onboard again. This is just one more reason. I expect to be able to report my success (or not!) around 2 July.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

We can't wait to be back onboard again. This is just one more reason. I expect to be able to report my success (or not!) around 2 July.

I found the signal was strongest on the balcony on my recent trip.  Will be interested to hear your feedback as these devices can be picked up cheaply.  

I see thst that they also can distribute a signal via a connection over Ethernet.  Whilst on QM2 I noticed there was an Ethernet port in the cabin - does anyone one know if these are active and would provide a better route if connecting to the internet?