First Princess cruise - Alaska!

glm77777

We have only cruised previously on Norwegian. We are cruising to Alaska in June. I have a couple of  questions about the ship:

Do you have to choose a dinner time or do they have freestyle-like dining where we can go to the dining room whenever we like?

Are the adult only pools and hot tubs usually crowded?

Also, anyone with any tips or advice for us first time Alaskan cruisers? we would appreciate any info - what to pack, what excursions are like, where is the best place to get king crab legs LOL!

Princess does 'anytime' dining, and as long as you don't arrive right when the doors open, your wait should be minimal.  

The pools have never seemed very crowded when I've been to Alaska, but we go very early or very late in the season, and the weather is on the cooler side.  And there is so much to see while sailing, it's not at all like the carribbean.

Tracy's Crab Shack, in Juneau seems to be everyone's favorite for King Crab.  I find the salmon and halibut much better, everywhere we've tried.  Just be aware that king crab season is Oct-Jan, and any legs you get are from frozen, not 'fresh'  But that doesnt take away from their goodness. 

Use the app to book preferences for dining you can choose same or different times edit each evening and dining rooms 

there is also specialty dining you can sign up for 

cruises are getting busier and Alaska is popular a time you are going. Port days pools would be less busy, as many types of excursions offered 

Yes, anytime dining still exists. There is no need to make a reservation in advance. As with any land restaurant, if the dining room is full, you may need to wait unto a table is available.

As for the pools, being in Alaska many will find them too cold for swimming and they are unlikely to be crowded. Hot tubs may be crowded. Hard to tell in advance.

Bring binoculars!

Pack and dress in layers. While sailing through the Glaciers can be quite chilly, ports days can also be warm. Was in Skagway one trip and it was 80 degrees, people in the pool at sail away.

Another time in Juneau, did the Mt. Roberts Tram and it was very warm also, wish I had a t shirt under my sweater.

This was in August so your trip might be cooler.

On 3/18/2022 at 9:52 PM, glm77777 said:

Are the adult only pools and hot tubs usually crowded?

I have never been on an NCL cruise, but I'll put it to you this way, every Princess cruise I have been on, the pools are effectively adult only.  Princess is trying to up their game in the family friendly area, but ensuring under-18's have a great time is not one of their strong suits.

36 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I have never been on an NCL cruise, but I'll put it to you this way, every Princess cruise I have been on, the pools are effectively adult only.  Princess is trying to up their game in the family friendly area, but ensuring under-18's have a great time is not one of their strong suits.

I disagree. I see kids in the pool all the time. Even the adult pools.

50 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

There are always kids in the main pools and that hasn’t changed in my 25 years of cruising

3 hours ago, memoak said:

There are always kids in the main pools and that hasn’t changed in my 25 years of cruising

I've honestly seen no children on board, though I tend to choose longer itineraries and the best times of year (weather wise) are when school is in session.  I guess I've managed to accidentally miss them.

Edited by Mike07

For excursions, I'd avoid bear or eagle watching ones, because you're unlikely to see them. Go on whale watching ones, where the ship operators keep in contact so know where the whales are, and you get to see them fairly up close. I also walk close to the water on sea days and see lots of whale spouts and even whales rolling right by the ship. I'd highly advise against going on a glacier flight plane in Ketchikan--a group of cruisers died on the Royal Princess when I was there last, and last summer a group from a HAL ship died in a crash. Instead of a train ride in Skagway, I rented an electric bike and explored a trail to a lake outside town. They also have National Park Service museums in town that are free and interesting. Sitka has an interesting park full of totem poles and a river full of salmon and bear warnings while I was there, and the park is a short walk along a guided trail from downtown. I enjoyed a tour to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, which drops you at a hiking trail leading to close-up waterfalls and a pretty lake in front of the glacier, receding like most in Alaska, alas. I also rent electric or regular bikes in Victoria and explore the city that way, so I can explore the parks, nice neighborhoods, and roads along the water.