Has anyone had experience of requiring medical attention on board?

Bonnielass

My husband is recovering from a stem cell transplant and is doing very well, he has been cleared to travel on the Azamara Quest in April 2022.  Due to his suppressed immune system he recently picked up a 'bug' sickness and diarrhoea.  He became dehydrated and required intravenous fluids for a period of 12 hours at our local hospital, he bounced back quite quickly.

My question is if diagnosed with a similar complaint would he be kicked off the ship immediately into a local hospital or would they give the intravenous fluids on board and then isolate him in his room.

Has anyone had an experience that could perhaps guide us.

Thank you in anticipation.

A traveling friend had to have IV fluids on an Azamara cruise before COVID. According to her, the medical staff took very good care of her. They did not kick her off, but she drank more fluids that cruise and subsequent cruises.

• Like 1

I think that is an impossible question to answer with any certainty and it would be wrong of anyone here to give you a definitive answer. It just depends on the circumstances at the time. All I can say is that the medical team will do all they can (for a fee), but they aren't a hospital and there are limitations, as I say depending on the circumstances and how the doctor feels. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 6

Thank you for the comments, reassured that they can give IV fluids but totally agree that it will depend on individual circumstances. At least there is also the port representative that can help in the event if hospitalation. 

12 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I think that is an impossible question to answer with any certainty and it would be wrong of anyone here to give you a definitive answer. It just depends on the circumstances at the time. All I can say is that the medical team will do all they can (for a fee), but they aren't a hospital and there are limitations, as I say depending on the circumstances and how the doctor feels. 

Phil 

Well said. My wife fell once on the gangway coming back onto the ship. She hit her head and was briefly stunned. We decided to do a 'wait & see' approach to care on the ship, rather than accept the offered emergency medical visit. Check on any fee for offered services. In this case, her hard head provided safety and she was up and around quickly.

13 hours ago, Bonnielass said:

Thank you for the comments, reassured that they can give IV fluids but totally agree that it will depend on individual circumstances. At least there is also the port representative that can help in the event if hospitalation. 

Just to go a little further and offer you some reassurance, it was necessary for me to leave the ship in Kusadasi and go to a hospital there for tests. It wasn't certain that I'd be able to return to the ship, but thankfully the medical centre completed all they needed to do in a day and gave me the all clear and I was able to get back on. The crew and port agent in a word were amazing and took care of everything at a particularly stressful time. Added to that stress was the arrival late into Kusadasi because the ship went to the aid of a migrant boat in distress. Sadly 22 lives on the boat were lost. Put it all in perspective!

I also had to go to an eye hospital in India when I hurt my eye and the doctor wasn't sure what I'd done. That too was an ordeal, but once again the ship were fantastic. 

So, if anything does happen and let's hope it doesn't you are in safe hands. They are very professional. And the often late departures on Azamara, an unseen advantage!

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 2

My father (91) developed an infection and then they discovered his legs were swollen. He was given exemplary treatment with IV antibiotics to kick start the fight back and diuretics for the swelling. They even sent a wheelchair to his cabin to collect him. 

There is a pretty good pharmacy on board so I would not worry.

• Like 2

I picked up a case of diarrhea while in Seville.  Very good doctor examined me to make sure it wasn't something else, gave Imodium and anti-bacterial pills and sent me on. 

We were also part of a party, one of whom was diagnosed with Covid.  The nurses looked at us daily to ensure we were not.  The victim was place in an adjacent window cabin for the duration and his changed bills to get home were picked up by Azamara. 

I have no fear of medical distress on Azamara.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your comments, very reassuring. I am on Azamara Quest next week without my husband and will discuss with the medical team on board. Fortunately my husband and I plan to join the Quest in late April, so at least next week I can have a chat with them. I will let you know how I get on.

• Thanks 1