Grand question

We were on the Grand only once in 2006. I believe they've done away with Skywalkers. Just curious what they did with that space. We'll be on her in May for Alaska. Can't wait! 🙂

34 minutes ago, 1965 said:

We were on the Grand only once in 2006. I believe they've done away with Skywalkers. Just curious what they did with that space. We'll be on her in May for Alaska. Can't wait! 🙂

Thanks    @billco  for the great Youtube video.

In 2011, Princess Cruises removed the iconic nightclub, Skywalkers Nightclub from Grand Princess at shipyard at Freeport, Bahamas.  In 2019, the Grand Princess had a refurbishment.  See below.

Grand Princess (Grand Class) - Dry dock 2019 (Portland, Oregon)

• Reupholster lounge chairs in Explorer's, Crooner's, Wheelhouse, Crown Grill, Library, and Snookers. 
  • New information screens throughout elevator lobbies
  • New bathtubs in staterooms
  • New sofas for Explorer's and Crooner's 
  • Replace Mini-suite sleeper sofas 
  • Replace astro turf deck covering on upper decks 
  • Replace Horizon Court carpeting and tiles 
  • Replace Wheelhouse Dance floor 
  • Refurbish elevator interiors
  • Repair/Refinish beverage station cabinets in Horizon Court 
  • New carpeting in the dining rooms and Crooner's. 
  • New carpeting in hallways
  • Refurbish swimming pools
  • General maintenance and upkeep
  • Painted hull of ship
  • New propellers
  • New hot tub tiling around both Calypso and Neptune pools
  • Ocean Medallion wiring install
  • SHIP SYSTEMS: Inspection and repair of propellers, exchangers, propulsion as well as hot and cold water lines.   

Skywalkers is definitely gone, main reason is that it made the ship less fuel efficient.  Since it was the first of its kind as a Grand class ship, the materials to build Skywalkers is heavier than what's used on others, such as Star.  As a substitute, The One5 Lounge on Deck 15 was opened in the aft, and across from the Chapel.  One5 Lounge was my favorite hangout spot during the day, comfy places to sit and read, never busy, and a great view from the floor to ceiling windows.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Akit said:

Skywalkers is definitely gone, main reason is that it made the ship less fuel efficient.  Since it was the first of its kind as a Grand class ship, the materials to build Skywalkers is heavier than what's used on others, such as Star.  As a substitute, The One5 Lounge on Deck 15 was opened in the aft, and across from the Chapel.  One5 Lounge was my favorite hangout spot during the day, comfy places to sit and read, never busy, and a great view from the floor to ceiling windows.

There were also structural problems, due to the weight. It was in effect tearing itself apart. Lots of leverage up there. The newer Skywalkers were built of aluminum. 

I love, and miss Skywalkers, but Princess did a great job with One5, it ain't Skywalkers, but it is a really nice room.

• Like 2

I was recently on the Grand and hadn't been on her since the early 2000's. 

I really enjoyed the Grand and thought she was in great shape. I did enjoy One5 which replaced Skywalkers. Not the same but it is a nice area. I also enjoyed it during the day for reading and also for Platinum/Elite Lounge before dinner.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

I switched from Grand to Majestic for '23 Australia/NZ plus crossing.  Princess cancelled Majestic  now I'm thinking I'll switch back to Grand!  I was on the fence being an older ship but reading this, I think I'll go for it . . . .again.  Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

I switched from Grand to Majestic for '23 Australia/NZ plus crossing.  Princess cancelled Majestic  now I'm thinking I'll switch back to Grand!  I was on the fence being an older ship but reading this, I think I'll go for it . . . .again.  Thanks everyone!

I was on the Grand for 10 days over Christmas. I was thoroughly impressed with how great the ship looked. I found zero issues with the ship. @DougH was also on the ship. You can get his impression also if you want.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, susancruzs said:

Thanks!  I haven't "talked" with Doug via email for quite a few years, I know he moved, hope he's doing well.  OK, I'll switch back and get in touch with "our" TA.  She's working on my Enchanted changes!

I think he thought the atrium looked small but that was his only comment. The buffet is classic Grand Class size which doesn’t bother me as I am not big into the buffet. Ship looked great. I have not been on Majestic. I do prefer smaller ships.

• Like 2

I've been o.k. with Royal class although I miss the promenade.  I'm not a buffet fan either.  Atrium would seem smaller compared to Royal class.  I was on Sapphire '19, Emerald '18, so atrium not an issue.  I'll re-book the Grand, eventually I'm going to get to Australia/NZ.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, susancruzs said:

Thanks!  I haven't "talked" with Doug via email for quite a few years, I know he moved, hope he's doing well.  OK, I'll switch back and get in touch with "our" TA.  She's working on my Enchanted changes!

Hi  Yes it has been a while since we have talked. I still like the Grand, Coral and I had a great cruise. I am on the Grand for two weeks in Alaska in June. She is still a good choice with the full promenade deck and lots of open space. After being on the newer ships I did notice the smaller buffet area and the atrium but it would not keep me from sailing on her. I would love to sail from Australia back to the US, that is one one my list

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AVCruzers said:

We were on the GRAND on its first Hawaii cruise last January--staff was amazing!  Planned to return to the same ship for SEA of CORTEZ in February but I tested positive for covid.   

Hope you don't have too severe conditions.  Get well soon so you can get back on board.  Cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AVCruzers said:

We were on the GRAND on its first Hawaii cruise last January--staff was amazing!  Planned to return to the same ship for SEA of CORTEZ in February but I tested positive for covid.   

I have to agree that the staff was AMAZING in December as well. The Best of the Best. 

I hope you are doing well!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

Well, I'm sold, nice to hear from you both on the Grand!  March 31, 2023, you could go, 29 days to SF, 10 ports. 

It is NZ, not Aus. but I plan to do one of those round Australia at some point.  

Edited by susancruzs
  • Like 1