Please help me with shore excursion advice?

millerse738

For some reason, I'm feeling less than enthusiastic about shore excursion options on my upcoming cruise (Carnival Freedom, late June from Seattle, WA). Planning ahead is usually my favorite part, but this time it's overwhelming. Our ports are Tracy Arm Fjord, Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria, BC. We already missed the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion available to transfer to a smaller boat to explore as it is already sold out. I think this is causing part of my disappointment. Some of the rest stems from the fact that I'm seeing whale watching over and over, and that's not high on my list of priorities. I have done two whale watching trips in the past and both have been no-shows for any whales. I think if I knew I'd have an epic whale sighting, I'd book in a heartbeat to make up for the others, but I do very much understand that's not guaranteed. 

We love wildlife. (Are we too early in the season for bears?) We love local color. Not big foodies. Not drinkers. Considering my first helicopter ride in Juneau. 

(Edited to add: I'm very overweight but highly mobile. Many of the adventurous activities are sadly not possible due to weight restrictions - like the zipline, which I'd love to do.)

Please please help with any suggestions of the best options for a varied and rich Alaskan experience, including who to book with if possible. The excursions seem limited through Carnival, and some are already sold out. I'm also open to some self-exploration if you have tips for that as well. 

Thank you so much in advance!

Edited by millerse738
added details
  • Like 1

From what I've read, the excursions in Juneau and Icy Strait Point guarantee whale sightings or (some of) your money back. I booked such an excursion at ISP since there didn't seem to be much else to do there besides the Zipline. In Ketchikan I've booked the Misty Fjords scenic cruise, which is all we'll have time for since the ship leaves fairly early in the afternoon. There's also the totem pole park and a museum if you'd rather stay in town. I can't personally recommend anything since we haven't been yet, but hopefully this gives you some ideas to get started.

• Like 1

If you would like to see whales, Icy Strait Point is a great place. The sightings are virtually guaranteed there. Also, there aren't as many tour options in Icy Strait Point as your other ports, so it would be the place to do the whale watching if that is of interest. Ketchikan and Juneau are both very walkable towns with quite a bit of local color within the downtown areas - Creek Street in Ketchikan is particularly interesting with a lot of history. Ketchikan also has some beautiful areas to explore outside of town that showcase its Native History and Totems at Saxman and Totem Bight. There are usually ship tours that include those areas, and certainly if you are open to it,  many private tour options available in both Ketchikan and Juneau. In Juneau you can visit Mendenhall Glacier or take the Mount Roberts Tramway to the top of the mountain. There are lots of options.

What I usually do if I'm evaluating a new port that I'm not familiar with is look at the ship's excursions for inspiration and then see what similar private tours are available. Also a good idea to look at the Visitor Guides published for each of the ports on the City or Chamber web site. You can usually get many good leads there. 

Another great way to get off the beaten path and see more is to rent cars - we do that often in our Alaska port stops. You need to do your research and know what you want to see, but it can be a very cost effective way to really see a lot more than a crowded tour offers.

• Like 1

If you are looking for a well-run whale watching company in Icy Strait, my suggestion would be Glacier Wind Charters.  Have gone out with them many times and always had a great time.  The company has been recommended on this board as well as Trip Advisor.  Below is the link to their website.

https://www.g-wind.com/

• Like 2

I was in ISP this past Oct (2021) on the final Millennium sailing of the season.  We did the Whale Watching excursion from the ship.  Saw multiple whales, observed 'bubble feeding' and watched a whale breech - all amazing.  We also saw a 'raft' of otters just floating along.

ISP is wonderful. 

• Like 1

KETCHIKAN SUGGESTION

i posted this in response to another Ketchikan thread, but could also apply to you.  For what's its worth,

•  

First time in Ketchikan we explored the town.

Second time we took the public bus to Totem Bight State Historical Park.  Bus stops right at the entrance and also returns from there. 

Very easy to do and the bus was only around $2 pp each way. It is an interesting visit and the easy trail runs alongside the water.  There are many colourful totems and a clan house in a lovely setting.

There have been threads on Totem Bight previously which you can read, so using the search facility should bring them all up in the results, or try Tripadvisor.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

We really enjoyed the Totem Bight State Park when we were there many years ago.  I was looking forward to other totem pole places in Ketchikan, but then our itinerary was changed so that we are not stopping there is year.

We also enjoyed the Mendenhall glacier visitor's center in Juneau; we are not hikers, but you get a lot from the visitor's center.  We are going there again this year along with a whale watching tour with Juneau whale watching tours (private run not ship).  It will be interesting to see how much the glacier has changed (smaller).

• Like 1

I was also disappointed when we couldn't get on the small boat excursion in Tracy Arm a couple years ago.  It ended up being fine as you spend the day cruising in and the ship does a spin to turn and cruise out.  It was an amazing day.  I can't imagine it being any better on the smaller boat.  Maybe they get a little closer, but you will have a great experience!  Juneau and Ketchikan are easy to do on your own.  We've done the tram in Juneau. The view from the top is gorgeous.  Ketchikan is very easy to walk around and enjoy the local sights.  I've never been thrilled with planning our Alaska trips, but this year will be our 3rd time going!  After our first trip it just keeps calling you back.  There really is so much to explore.

• Thanks 1

Whale watching guaranteed in both Juneau and ISP. Okay- yes, nobody can actually guarantee this but you will see whales- often very up close and personal. If the whales are not there it would suggest a very serious ecological disruption. 

Don't know how long you are in Juneau but there is a small boat trip to Tracy Arm https://alaskatours.com/day-tours/tracy-arm-fjords-glacier-cruise/. And yes you will see the glacier from the ship but getting up close and personal really is a different experience. 

And no- you are certainly not too early for bears- we saw them in mid-May. There are several trips out to bear sightings in Ketchikan- Island Wings has them and I think that they run in June. There is also the well loved Bering Sea Crab Excursion (https://alaskacrabtour.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsKO_s-rZ9gIVnQutBh3jXAMPEAAYASAAEgIiKfD_BwE). Almost everyone loves this. 

Does Carnival have a wait list for Tracy Arm small boat? It is worth taking if you can, although the trip out of Juneau is a very interesting substitute. People change their minds- I'd keep checking. 

Excursions in Alaska are some of the best and there are many independent trips to look into. If the ones Carnival is offering don't appeal- google is your friend. And there are many very reputable companies vying for your patronage. 

• Like 1

The problem w whale watching guarantees is that you are hoping to see whales up close and personal while the whale watching crew may point out a whale spout and/or whale tail off in the distance and say that you have seen a whale.  Also you need to find out whether the guarantee is a return of fees or a free trip on the next day.  As an aside, we have done several whale trips in Juneau and have always seen whales.

DON

• Like 1

Corny, but fun - the Alaskan Lumberjack show in Ketchikan.  🙂

We are doing the flightseeing tour by Island wings this time around in Ketchikan.

Victoria has Butchart Gardens, which is beautiful.  I am not sure how long you are there and it does require a decent amount of time.  The Royal BC museum is also a good one.  If you are there in the evening (many ships are) then many of the attractions are closed.  You can do the horse drawn carriage ride around the harbor area.  It is fun.  Visit the Empress hotel - just walking through the lobby is a sight!

We were on the second and third to the last Celebrity Millennium Alaska itineraries last fall, and we also did a whale watching trip at ISP using non-refundable OBC from Celebrity (We had $1300 non-refundable OBC on a seven night cruise -- I have absolutely no idea why so much.).  In any event we enjoyed ninety minutes of bubble feeding (yes folks --90)  and total breaches.  I told my husband we will never be able to take another whale watching trip again as nothing will compare.

When we have those evening port calls in Victoria we walk down to the Bard & Banker Scottish Pub.  Great food and lovely ambiance in a heritage building on Government Street.  Check their website.

I haven’t been, but our port stops are the same.  We are a multigenerational group of four, ages 10 to 77. Here’s what I’ve found:

Tracy Arm Fjord: Make sure it’s actually sold out. The excursion is listed for sale under Seattle, not Tracy Arm. If it’s actually sold out, join a Wait List. Fingers crossed you get in! 

Icy Strait Point: Not a chance I’m zip lining and my son wouldn’t either. We are doing Carnival’s Whales, Wildlife & Bear search. I’m nervous we’re too early for bears (June 1 departure), but it’s my son’s dream so we’re going to try. It looks like they’re opening a gondola that you can ride. The Mountain Top Gondola should open in May. Tickets are $50 and include the tribal dance show. 

Juneau: There’s so much to do here. We’re doing a helicopter/dog sled ride, then taking the tram to Mendenhall Glacier. You could do a summer dog camp & Mendenhall Glacier if you don’t want the helicopter. 

Ketchikan: We had it narrowed to the Lumberjack show or Deadliest Catch tour. We don’t get much time here. We booked Deadliest Catch and I recommend booking ASAP for that one. It’s not sold out for our dates. 

Victoria: We are barely there and it’s at night. I think we are staying on the ship. 

Good luck!! I was completely overwhelmed too, but once I just booked something I felt better. 

If your cruise offers the opportunity to go on a waiting list for a sold out excursion, sign up.  Sometimes, if there is a lot of interest, they are able to offer another group with a different provider.  But also have other things to do in mind in case it doesn't work out.