Vista view from wheelchair

sailtex

First time on a cruise, and we've booked a Oceania Marina Vista suite this summer in the Mediterranean. I use a manual wheelchair full time. As long as I can get my shower chair into one of the showers, I think the room accessibility will be fine. I'm concerned about the solid veranda railing with these Vista sites. In the chair, my eyes are about 44" from the ground. If the railing is close to that tall, my view will be very limited. Suites away from the bow (Owners and Oceania) have open railings. Owners suites seem to book up years in advance, but I can switch to an Oceania on a different but acceptable cruise. In web searches, I've found several different standards for the railing height.

Does anyone have a confident answer that I can use to choose our suite?

I wish I could be of help.  We have been in a couple of Vistas on Marina but we didn't sit out there very much on either cruise.  Usually we would walk out and stand at the railing for a while but not too long.

Remember that many people complain that the balconies on forward suites are inconvenient to use because of wind.  That won't apply, of course, to port visits. 

I was using a wheel chair when we were in an OS on Regatta, but that was many years ago.  And of course that was an OS on one of the smaller ships so irrelevant to your question.

Mura

Having used both suites I definitely recommend the Oceania Suite over the Vista Suite for you. First, on the Oceania veranda you have easy sight lines because the railing area is glass. In the Vista suite the sight lines on the veranda are pretty high and plusreally can’t use the deck when moving because it faces forward and the wind speed requires the chairs to be tied down. By the way, I am writing this from an Oceania Suite on the 12th level currently and you’ll want an Oceania Suite on the 12th level. The reason simply is these Oceania Suites offer same level simple access to the pool area, the Terrace and the Waves restaurants and are right off the front elevators which are more numerous than the rear elevators. Also in this suite you have wide doors and a very spacious master bath which has easy access (you even have a second smaller full bathroom that your spouse can use while you are using the main bathroom. Plus because the balcony is on the side so you can use it while the ship is in motion.

The Vista suites are a bit larger and are very nice but not as functional for you because they are in the absolute front of the ship you’ll have much more territory to cover to get to them from the elevators. At 1000 square feet the Oceania Suites are very roomy and very easy to move around in if you are dealing with mobility issues of any kind. And, yes, they tend to book out early so plan ahead. Good luck, you’ll love Oceania and it’s larger suites. Also note if you don’t feel like going to a restaurant to eat you butler will serve you in your dining room in your suite course by course from any restaurant on the ship.

Thank you all for your generous and thoughtful comments. I'm trying to switch to the Oceania suite on the alternate cruise. One is available on the 12th level.

As for access, Oceania limits wheelchairs to 22" wide and they must be collapsible. That seems to be an unusually strict requirement for a cruise line, but I can work with that.

4 minutes ago, sailtex said:

As long as I'm asking, would a higher number Riviera Oceania suite be more or less preferable to a lower number, 12014 vs 12007.

That depends if you prefer to be further forward or closer to the pool area.  We were in 12006 the farthest forward which was not an issue for us.  If distance matters you'd want to be closer to the pool.  Also in the furthest forward cabin the outside deck light was disabled by the bridge.  We couldn't turn it on.  Didn't matter to us at all.

Edited by davencl

@sailtex

HIFI43 is right on! We visited Bruce and Marilyn in their Vista Suite in November and while lovely, I would definitely opt for the Oceania Suite as he suggested. We had an Oceania Suite next to the Artists Loft and your offer for 12014, next to the Culinary Center is a GREAT LOCATION, GRAB IT. Much better than 12007 up front.  What is even more important your Cruise Critic posters have just saved you thousands of dollars on your upcoming cruise. 👍🤪🤙🛳
Mauibabes

Well, it looks like your questions are answered. 12014 and an Oceania suite.

The 22 inch wide “folding” rule for a wheelchair by Oceania is interesting, but I suspect it has to do with storage within rooms and also taking up less space in the restaurants between tables as you shift from the wheelchair to a regular chair. There are always a number of passengers with motorized non-fold equipment ( as well as motorized folding) and some of these devices can not get through cabin doorways and are stored in hallways necessitating the removal of their batteries to recharge them. They good news is you’ll have plenty of company with others using wheelchairs and being well served at the same time. I predict you’ll love Oceania.

6 hours ago, HiFi43 said:

Well, it looks like your questions are answered. 12014 and an Oceania suite.

The 22 inch wide “folding” rule for a wheelchair by Oceania is interesting, but I suspect it has to do with storage within rooms and also taking up less space in the restaurants between tables as you shift from the wheelchair to a regular chair. There are always a number of passengers with motorized non-fold equipment ( as well as motorized folding) and some of these devices can not get through cabin doorways and are stored in hallways necessitating the removal of their batteries to recharge them. They good news is you’ll have plenty of company with others using wheelchairs and being well served at the same time. I predict you’ll love Oceania.

FWIW: It has always been my understanding that leaving a motorized scooter in a cabin lined hallway is a violation of SOLAS regulations. How it is handled by O escapes me. I’ve never seen one in a hall where we have had our usual aft B cabins.

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW: It has always been my understanding that leaving a motorized scooter in a cabin lined hallway is a violation of SOLAS regulations. How it is handled by O escapes me. I’ve never seen one in a hall where we have had our usual aft B cabins.

There was one regularly outside a cabin on our Riviera cruise. 

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There was one regularly outside a cabin on our Riviera cruise. 

I think O “let’s it slide.” Not a problem until it’s a problem (and what a problem it would be in certain alarm situations like “7 shorts and 1 long”)

37 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I think O “let’s it slide.” Not a problem until it’s a problem (and what a problem it would be in certain alarm situations like “7 shorts and 1 long”)

They must actively cooperate because there was no electric outlet nearby - I saw the guy from that cabin and he said O charges it for him. 

What a great forum of helpful people. Thank you all. I hope it's like this on the cruise.

I am in fire-drill mode right now since when we switched from the Vista suite to the Oceania suite the only available cruise that interested us was much earlier. My final payment date is tomorrow! So I have to resolve a few things in the next 24 hours.

One is to buy trip insurance, something I've never done. And also to confirm that I have a solution on the wheelchair one way or the other. I can modify my chair to get down to 22" wide. And it is collapsible, in a sense. The wheels pop off with a push button axle release. The seat cushion is secured with Velcro and releases easily. The back rest folds down to take up almost no additional room. So in some dimensions, it ends up smaller than what is generally considered a "folding" manual wheelchair. In any case, it will be way smaller than a power chair that has to stay in the hall.

Separate question, but is the door sill to the shower about 3.5" high? That's what I've scaled off some pictures using a toilet paper roll for a 4.5" reference. I could wheelie over that in my everyday chair, but my shower chair will require significant participation of my wife. I've mocked a sill model using wooden blocks that we'll test out this evening.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, sailtex said:

What a great forum of helpful people. Thank you all. I hope it's like this on the cruise.

I am in fire-drill mode right now since when we switched from the Vista suite to the Oceania suite the only available cruise that interested us was much earlier. My final payment date is tomorrow! So I have to resolve a few things in the next 24 hours.

One is to buy trip insurance, something I've never done. And also to confirm that I have a solution on the wheelchair one way or the other. I can modify my chair to get down to 22" wide. And it is collapsible, in a sense. The wheels pop off with a push button axle release. The seat cushion is secured with Velcro and releases easily. The back rest folds down to take up almost no additional room. So in some dimensions, it ends up smaller than what is generally considered a "folding" manual wheelchair. In any case, it will be way smaller than a power chair that has to stay in the hall.

Separate question, but is the door sill to the shower about 3.5" high? That's what I've scaled off some pictures using a toilet paper roll for a 4.5" reference. I could wheelie over that in my everyday chair, but my shower chair will require significant participation of my wife. I've mocked a sill model using wooden blocks that we'll test out this evening.

Thanks again.

You really need to look at the B-3 ADA  cabins which while not as fancy, are all built with wider doors, ramps over all sills.. and a roll in shower     The presimans  did a  good photo review of one.    My wife uses a chair and  this was what was best.     7087  I think  there are 4 veranda ADA cabins 2 with extended balcony.     Best of luck..

15 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

You really need to look at the B-3 ADA  cabins which while not as fancy, are all built with wider doors, ramps over all sills.. and a roll in shower     The presimans  did a  good photo review of one.    My wife uses a chair and  this was what was best.     7087  I think  there are 4 veranda ADA cabins 2 with extended balcony.     Best of luck..

Thanks for the tip. The ADA cabins are not currently available on the cruises that interest us, but something to keep in mind. Since this is our first cruise, I want everything to be as nice as possible--why I tried for the Owner's suite. If we fall in love with it, perhaps we can be more frugal on future cruises.

2 hours ago, sailtex said:

“Separate question, but is the door sill to the shower about 3.5" high? That's what I've scaled off some pictures using a toilet paper roll for a 4.5" reference. I could wheelie over that in my everyday chair, but my shower chair will require significant participation of my wife. I've mocked a sill model using wooden blocks that we'll test out this evening.”

My girlfriend and I were booked in an Oceania suite in 2016-  this is the only picture I had of the shower which surprised me because I took pictures of everything!  The balcony is much smaller than the Vista suite and is somewhat crowded with furniture- they could easily remove a chair or lounger.  As others have said the Oceania suite balcony is much more usable.  We did a Transatlantic in the Vista- it was so windy my slippers flew off while I was walking!  The side balcony is very nice- protected from the wind.  I hope it all works out for you and you love it!
We are sailing on Regatta in May to Mexico in a Vista suite- I’m also concerned about the view.  Hoping it’s worth it!

Cathy

F5CD81B5-BAA9-4F45-81F0-981130CFA4A9.jpeg

D13923E5-45F2-4E37-810B-5BB221139787.jpeg

Thanks for the tip. The ADA cabins are not currently available on the cruises that interest us, but something to keep in mind. Since this is our first cruise, I want everything to be as nice as possible--why I tried for the Owner's suite. If we fall in love with it, perhaps we can be more frugal on future cruises.

Did you ask specifically about this?  I have read several times that people who didn't need such cabins were assigned to them, and I have been told that in the event someone truly needs that cabin those people will be moved.

• Like 1

Oceanurse,

Thanks for the pictures. That shower view is a little better than the one I was using as reference. Comparing the height of the sill at the shower door and the four and a half inch long toilet paper roll, it looks like that sill is not much over 3 inches. We just did a test using a 5" height, and it went OK.

28 minutes ago, sailtex said:

Oceanurse,

Thanks for the pictures. That shower view is a little better than the one I was using as reference. Comparing the height of the sill at the shower door and the four and a half inch long toilet paper roll, it looks like that sill is not much over 3 inches. We just did a test using a 5" height, and it went OK.

you can get potrable grab handles  tha attatch where you need them   400 lb strength..   I use them for my wife... pack in a suit case.... you can adapt.... check it out     SEA SUCKER is the name

download.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2