Ovation March 13th and Covid

AtA

2 minutes ago, mskatiemae said:

I understood they did not have any need to confirm Covid but I also wondered it could have been a drug issue where for instance a risk of physical contact with fentanyl can be very dangerous so I did take that into consideration and knew they weren't going to tell me why the staff were in full head to toe protective equipment.

So if you understood why medical personnel would not tell you what's wrong with a fellow passenger -- as they shouldn't, unless it posed a risk to you -- then why be annoyed when they told you you had nothing to be concerned about without giving you more information?

At this point 9 months after cruising has resumed in the Covid era, no one should be surprised to find out that someone on a ship has tested positive; it's a fact of life on most ships these days. And Seabourn, like other cruise lines, doesn't announce details of Covid cases on board unless the number of cases prompts changes they need to communicate to passengers. No one expects to see a team of people in hazmat suits while walking down the hall or stairwell, so it came seem initially surprising, but it shouldn't me much of a lasting shock knowing this is the reality of cruising these days. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@mskatiemae It might help understanding in this thread if you were to explain what problem you experienced in the restaurant. I had inferred from your vague description that you have some serious allergy issue and a waiter erred in serving you food which could be toxic for you. If that's the case, it might help those who have attacked you here to understand the seriousness of your problem. If that's not it at all, then explaining what the issue is might still aid in understanding, as people have noted that it's highly unusual for some form of service lapse to result in a cash refund.  If you prefer to keep it private, that's your prerogative. 

In essence this was a massive and ongoing failure by that one staff person who failed in the most severe instance exactly by serving me something with toxic health effects both short and long term. The meal where this occurred was the chef's dinner ($195) with wine pairings which I had signed up for early in the voyage, and I had also alerted that staff person (assigned to assist me throughout the cruise with questions and especially to pre order dinner to allow the kitchen to make substitutions) that I was doing the chef's dinner and handed him the sheet with the menu and my selections at a dinner about 4 days in advance, however he failed to pre order and when I came for the evening of the chef's dinner no one was aware of my allergies and I asked for that assigned staff person and he came and insisted he could make all the arrangements last minute for my chef's dinner. He brought an appetizer with a sauce that he twice insisted was free of my main allergen but clearly it was not when I got my usual symptom cascade that are pretty bad for at least three days.I gave him the courtesy of an in person follow up the next morning and he thanked me for the feedback but it impacted me for the remainder of the trip and potentially has longer term health impacts. It is important enough to my health that I promised to always pre order dinner and as a courtesy to staff to ONLY go to dinner where I had made a pre order at least the day prior. I do believe the staff person was doing their best but I expected a better food experience and was severely impacted.

I have friends who had been on Seabourn one time pre pandemic with a food allergy and had similar issues. They warned me to keep aware and check everything carefully which I did. But the attention to detail was lacking.

4 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

On the evening before disembarkation (March 26) I called the medical center to see if I could get ibuprofen since I had run out.

Another option is to see if the shops sell OTC meds like ibuprofen. Then you can avoid areas that may be higher risk for exposure. 🙂

@mskatiemae Thanks for posting additional information. I have known people who have had serious food allergies and can have devastating problems if they eat the wrong food, and I hope those who criticized you earlier in this thread at least now have some understanding of the potential seriousness of the issue. It sounds like you took all the correct steps to inform the appropriate crew members of your issues and needs, and you followed up appropriately when there was a failure. Whether it was the waiter or host who erred, or someone in the kitchen who told them the food was okay when it wasn't, isn't a level of detail needed for this discussion; you brought it to the attention of higher ups. It sounds like they came though with the compensation you asked for, which doesn't erase whatever mistakes were made, but makes good on them. I think that can be the end of the story. And I hope your next cruise goes flawlessly! 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jsea said:

Another option is to see if the shops sell OTC meds like ibuprofen. Then you can avoid areas that may be higher risk for exposure. 🙂

Yes, there shop generally does sell a few OTC medications. Just be prepared to pay $2 per tablet, or some outrageous rate. My wife had a cold on a cruise years ago and bought some cold remedy in the shop; we were shocked at the price for a handful of pills. (Although perhaps less shocked than the cost of a 5-minute visit to the medical center to be told, "yup, you have a cold"!)  But if you need it, you need it… and you're grateful to be able to get it. 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

Yes, there shop generally does sell a few OTC medications. Just be prepared to pay $2 per tablet, or some outrageous rate. My wife had a cold on a cruise years ago and bought some cold remedy in the shop; we were shocked at the price for a handful of pills. (Although perhaps less shocked than the cost of a 5-minute visit to the medical center to be told, "yup, you have a cold"!)  But if you need it, you need it… and you're grateful to be able to get it. 😉 

I asked on my call to the medical center whether there was another way to get ibuprofen onboard, and they said no, you have to come down here now.

The charge was $9 for a blister pack so about $1 per dose but worth its weight in gold! Now on the former line you could go to the medical center even after hours and in the lobby were complimentary packets of Tylenol and ibuprofen, and I think also band-aids. Perhaps giving away these freebies contributed to the line going out of business!! 😄😄😄😄😄

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

@mskatiemae Thanks for posting additional information. I have known people who have had serious food allergies and can have devastating problems if they eat the wrong food, and I hope those who criticized you earlier in this thread at least now have some understanding of the potential seriousness of the issue. It sounds like you took all the correct steps to inform the appropriate crew members of your issues and needs, and you followed up appropriately when there was a failure. Whether it was the waiter or host who erred, or someone in the kitchen who told them the food was okay when it wasn't, isn't a level of detail needed for this discussion; you brought it to the attention of higher ups. It sounds like they came though with the compensation you asked for, which doesn't erase whatever mistakes were made, but makes good on them. I think that can be the end of the story. And I hope your next cruise goes flawlessly! 😉

Thanks for understanding. I also did not need to know precisely how the mistake was made just that it was an avoidable  error somewhere involving lack of attention to detail and/or communication. I ended up with a great regard for everyone onboard for helping me out as much as they could. These are hard times and we all need to have time for relaxation and health! I am loathe to complain but I will also stand up for myself when necessary.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cornet said:

It states quite clearly in today’s Herald:

For the optimal health of all onboard, our medical centre currently operates by appointment only.

Seems clear enough to me!

We are on the Ovation  now and are having a great time!

547 passengers, great crew, lovely food, calm seas and warm weather.

Seabourn is going above and beyond in the most trying of times and giving us a wonderful cruise.

And don't forget the covid onboard. Despite what they wrote about it being European rules, the reason you're required to mask now is because on the CDC site, Ovation is orange and when orange everyone must be masked in public areas.

3 hours ago, Raiders4Life32 said:

Thank God they have passengers/customers like you to keep them honest.  You are doing God's work and nothing less.  Bravo!  Kinda reminds me of something Rose's mom might have said back in the day on the Titanic.  LOL!

Ruth_DeWitt_Bukater.webp

Deleted because it's not worth engaging with this person.

Edited by AtA

2 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

Yes I understand the risk would have been low, however it was more being a bit shocked by the sudden encounter when Covid was never mentioned on the ship. I understood they did not have any need to confirm Covid 

Actually once they were orange on the CDC site, they were required to inform the passengers.

47 minutes ago, mskatiemae said:

Thanks for understanding. I also did not need to know precisely how the mistake was made just that it was an avoidable  error somewhere involving lack of attention to detail and/or communication. I ended up with a great regard for everyone onboard for helping me out as much as they could. These are hard times and we all need to have time for relaxation and health! I am loathe to complain but I will also stand up for myself when necessary.

I'm just sorry we never did get to do dinner together!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AtA said:

And don't forget the covid onboard. Despite what they wrote about it being European rules, the reason you're required to mask now is because on the CDC site, Ovation is orange and when orange everyone must be masked in public areas.

Could you please post a link to this CDC rule for orange status ships?  I have searched and been unable to find it, however I'm not in the U.S. so perhaps I'm not getting full  search results. 

13 minutes ago, AtA said:

I'm just sorry we never did get to do dinner together!

Other than the Sommeliers lunch and one Earth and Ocean dinner with Tom and Terry and new friend Gary, I ate all dinners by myself to keep attention on the food issues for my safety. I was getting lots of visits though from staff and management who were checking that everything was going okay for me (and Sommeliers taking my premium wine orders) and I did not return to the dining room for dinner after the fateful chef's dinner. I found the Patio staff (thanks Alina) took great care of me at lunchtime and Sushi or Keller Grill were truly safe for dinner for me. So we now should stay in touch for a future cruise (on another line probably) to get to have some dinner together! My biggest problem was there were so many staff/management new to me visiting me at dinner and so hard to try to remember all their names!

I have friends and relatives with severe food allergies.   They don’t eat in restaurants, fly or take cruises because hospitalization is required if they are exposed to their allergen.   They always carry epi pens and carry their own home prepared food if they are visiting friends at meal times.   Your allergy must be less serious as you cruise and count on others to safeguard your life.   Life is too precious to risk it by trusting others to provide food free from allergens.

38 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Thank you!

I'm not sure that the language used in that page is helpful.

It does read as if the CDC is referring to guidelines rather than actual rules.  e.g. 'Recommends' and 'choose' 

Copy and Paste

• CDC recommends that cruise ships operating or planning to operate in U.S. waters choose to participate in CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships

So are masks mandated on a Bahamas registered ship on a transatlantic cruise  or not? 

28 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I have friends and relatives with severe food allergies.   They don’t eat in restaurants, fly or take cruises because hospitalization is required if they are exposed to their allergen.   They always carry epi pens and carry their own home prepared food if they are visiting friends at meal times.   Your allergy must be less serious as you cruise and count on others to safeguard your life.   Life is too precious to risk it by trusting others to provide food free from allergens.

Wow. Okay can you please take my advice (I blocked you to save my time):

You choose your religion and I'll choose mine.

You choose your politics and I'll choose mine.

You choose your vacation venue and I'll choose mine.

I'll choose how I handle my personal health and you can choose for yourself how you handle your health concerns.

Sheesh... Missing my fun friends from Crystal Cruises. I am still seeking out fun people on Seabourn (besides the adorable and charming onboard staff).

5 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

In essence this was a massive and ongoing failure by that one staff person who failed in the most severe instance exactly by serving me something with toxic health effects both short and long term. The meal where this occurred was the chef's dinner ($195) with wine pairings which I had signed up for early in the voyage, and I had also alerted that staff person (assigned to assist me throughout the cruise with questions and especially to pre order dinner to allow the kitchen to make substitutions)

Hi Katherine, it was nice to meet you and drink wine together.

Was the staff person you refer to the Assistant Maitre D' (allegedly) responsible for special diets?  

This was our 11th Seabourn cruise, and the one with the most problems in the Restaurant.

Ann & Peter

8 minutes ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Hi Katherine, it was nice to meet you and drink wine together.

Was the staff person you refer to the Assistant Maitre D' (allegedly) responsible for special diets?  

This was our 11th Seabourn cruise, and the one with the most problems in the Restaurant.

Ann & Peter

Ann and Peter,

Yes that is correct. I hesitate to name names because this gentleman I do believe was doing his level best and wanted to take care of me - thus I saw it as more of a management failure and/or possibly an example of the Peter principle i.e. where someone was promoted beyond their real readiness or true level of current expertise.

I do remember having fun drinking wine with you and how nonpretentious you are! Hope to meet with you again!

Catherine 

3 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

Other than the Sommeliers lunch and one Earth and Ocean dinner with Tom and Terry and new friend Gary, I ate all dinners by myself to keep attention on the food issues for my safety. I was getting lots of visits though from staff and management who were checking that everything was going okay for me (and Sommeliers taking my premium wine orders) and I did not return to the dining room for dinner after the fateful chef's dinner. I found the Patio staff (thanks Alina) took great care of me at lunchtime and Sushi or Keller Grill were truly safe for dinner for me. So we now should stay in touch for a future cruise (on another line probably) to get to have some dinner together! My biggest problem was there were so many staff/management new to me visiting me at dinner and so hard to try to remember all their names!

Are you on FB?

1 hour ago, mskatiemae said:

Sheesh... Missing my fun friends from Crystal Cruises. I am still seeking out fun people on Seabourn (besides the adorable and charming onboard staff).

I hear you. 

3 minutes ago, AtA said:

Are you on FB?

Yes but I do pretty tightly control my privacy settings. For trusted people like you whom I have met and have mutual friends with you I will gladly go to your FB presence and connect with you if you want to share your FB name. I don't follow cruiselines FB pages any more.