Advice on Southampton to Barbados Cruise Please

Hi Guys

I'm considering the Jan 6th 2023 15 night cruise from Southampton to Barbados on Arvia

It calls at Tenerife day 5 ish

And then 4 or 5 Caribbean Ports last 4 or 5 days

And includes flights home from Bridgetown

£1,299 per person inside cabin

My questions are for anyone who's done similar cruises from Southampton to Barbados that time of year

What's it's like on the sea days travelling out there that time of year?

Are conditions normally good?

Does it get noticeably rough or choppy on board? 

I assume the weather normally starts to get ok as you get closer to Tenerife onwards for sunbathing?

(We've cruised Caribbean before but normally we fly in and out)

We like sea days if conditions are pleasant

My other question is do new ships normally need time to get organised and perform well for guests?

As it will only be Arvia's third cruise? (If all goes to plan)

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

We too are on this cruise although for 22 nights.

I haven't sailed from Southampton down to the Carribbean but have sailed down from the Med on a different cruise line. We did however sail out of Southampton mid January on Iona this year to the Canary Islands and the sea conditions weren't  bad, but as you know they can vary considerably. 

Don't know if you find this helpful?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We too are on this cruise although for 22 nights.

I haven't sailed from Southampton down to the Carribbean but have sailed down from the Med on a different cruise line. We did however sail out of Southampton mid January on Iona this year to the Canary Islands and the sea conditions weren't  bad, but as you know they can vary considerably. 

Don't know if you find this helpful?

Thanks for the reply

I think we will go for this

Will also take a look at the 22 day cruise

The one downside is that the flight back is overnight arriving back in the UK in the early hours. Personally I prefer the returning repositioning cruise where you fly out on a daytime flight and sail back. These are normally late March. The seas are maybe a bit calmer then with longer hours of daylight.

Brian

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BrianI said:

The one downside is that the flight back is overnight arriving back in the UK in the early hours. Personally I prefer the returning repositioning cruise where you fly out on a daytime flight and sail back. These are normally late March. The seas are maybe a bit calmer then with longer hours of daylight.

Brian

Thanks Brian

January we have more free time to cruise

Otherwise would have considered the March option

I've done a few TA trip, Europe to the US usually Oct/Nov, sea days are the best.

Plenty of time to explore ship, kick back relax. The closer you get to the Caribbean the weather gets warmer. Generally the seas can be a bit calmer as you're on the southern route.

Massive plus side is the 25 hour days, as the clocks go back one hours a few times, so a great excuse to have an extra lie in bed, or two breakfasts 😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mps69_1999 said:

I've done a few TA trip, Europe to the US usually Oct/Nov, sea days are the best.

Plenty of time to explore ship, kick back relax. The closer you get to the Caribbean the weather gets warmer. Generally the seas can be a bit calmer as you're on the southern route.

Massive plus side is the 25 hour days, as the clocks go back one hours a few times, so a great excuse to have an extra lie in bed, or two breakfasts 😉

Love it!

We did the TA last year in October on Britannia it was great, the flight back was overnight noproblem, we cancelled the Princess cruise this year and doing the same again on Britannia in October.

Edited by Bazrat
  • Like 1

Arvia should be good whatever the weather at the beginning because of the "dome".  Can't guarantee the Atlantic weather, might get snow on the first couple of days if you're lucky!  As you go further south it will get warmer and assumedly they will open the roof. Best of both worlds!

I love transatlantic crossings but normally on QM2 who ploughs the north channel.  A few years back however I travelled on Allure of the Seas from Barcelona on the south channel Fort Lauderdale. On e we left Malaga sun all the way. Anthem left Southampton the same day and arrived New York a day late!  Same ocean different route.

• Like 1

To add further to previous comments. We've done a couple of transatlantic crossings in early November and both times the crossing has been smooth after leaving Madeira, and relatively calm on the way down to Madeira, by the time we arrived there it was shorts and tee shirt weather. 

One tip, if you're booking a balcony you get the sun on the way from Madeira on the port side. We've had sun every day travelling across on each of our crossings. 

• Like 1