Observation Lounge

floralscent

48 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

To me, this "discovery" is a disappointment. ... Gone are the days were cruise ship were open to all and we are slowly, but surely, going back to the Titanic era class system, re-engineered. 

Oh well, thank-you for letting me discover this issue prior to be disappointed on board. I will have to think hard and long prior to book an itinerary on the E Class ship. 

Well you really did not "discover" anything here, you've not been on the ship.  You got opinions from folks, at least the ones that responded here who don't like E-Class. Here is another opinion, mine, I believe it is the very best ship that I have sailed on, so much so that we have a B3B later this year.  Honestly, there are as many (if not more) who love E-Class.  Lots of threads related to that, you may want to take some time to search them.  You also may want to book a cruise on one and "discover" for yourself.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Well you really did not "discover" anything here, you've not been on the ship.  You got opinions from folks, at least the ones that responded here who don't like E-Class. Here is another opinion, mine, I believe it is the very best ship that I have sailed on, so much so that we have a B3B later this year.  Honestly, there are as many (if not more) who love E-Class.  Lots of threads related to that, you may want to take some time to search them.  You also may want to book a cruise on one and "discover" for yourself.  

👏  👏 

14 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

When I began cruising, one my favourite activities on the cruise ship was the wrap around promenade....´Gone on most new generation ships.

I used to love on RCCL, the Viking Crown Lounge, with its 360 degree view. On our last RCCL cruise, the back of the lounge was used a cigar smoking area ant the front, as a hide and seek game for the kids.... Gone was the nice lounge I had discovered on RCCL.

The Sky Lounge on Celebrity S and M class is not 360 degrees but it offers a beautiful frontward view. Now, on Edge Class, if I understood well, unless you go to the gym or spa, you can't see forward either on deck or in a lounge....That priviledge is now reserved to the wealthiest.

You have to understand, that what brings me on board a cruise ship for my holidays, is not so much the food and entertainment, (although they do matter) but my love of the ocean. Being partially blinded on a cruise ship....loses much of its appeal for me.

I am just curious, you mentioned loving the Edge Class ship.... Are you typically booking in the retreat or in a regular cabin outside of the retreat?

18 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

When I began cruising, one my favourite activities on the cruise ship was the wrap around promenade....´Gone on most new generation ships.

I used to love on RCCL, the Viking Crown Lounge, with its 360 degree view. On our last RCCL cruise, the back of the lounge was used a cigar smoking area ant the front, as a hide and seek game for the kids.... Gone was the nice lounge I had discovered on RCCL.

The Sky Lounge on Celebrity S and M class is not 360 degrees but it offers a beautiful frontward view. Now, on Edge Class, if I understood well, unless you go to the gym or spa, you can't see forward either on deck or in a lounge....That priviledge is now reserved to the wealthiest.

You have to understand, that what brings me on board a cruise ship for my holidays, is not so much the food and entertainment, (although they do matter) but my love of the ocean. Being partially blinded on a cruise ship....loses much of its appeal for me.

I am just curious, you mentioned loving the Edge Class ship.... Are you typically booking in the retreat or in a regular cabin outside of the retreat?

You have to understand, that what brings me on board a cruise ship for my holidays, is not so much the food and entertainment, (although they do matter) but my love of the ocean. Being partially blinded on a cruise ship....loses much of its appeal for me.  I totally understand your point of view/experience.  EDGE though does have nice open areas to sit with a beverage, read a book, listen to music, but not exactly as you prefer in a forward facing lounge, EDEN offers this in a very large multi level floor to ceiling glass area as do the upper decks.  I too really enjoy those locations but for me, the lack of those are made up by the other areas that I feel are a truly beautiful ship.  I sail in Retreat, and I'm not wealthy.   

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, floralscent said:

For me, the Edge class is a disappointment altogether. As much as I tried to like/love that class of ship…I just can’t. IMO a lot of the private lounges and spaces are gone. No Ensemble lounge, etc. For some reason someone had the idea to put specialty restaurants a level above the martini bar and open to that crowded evening time area. Tragic disappointment if you ask me…but you really didn’t ask. 

From what I remember from our sailing on the Edge in SuiteClass. In Suite Class the only forward looking area was the Retreat Sun Deck. Not a in door space. Not even Luminae or the Retreat Lounge have forward views on the Edge.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2022 at 11:39 AM, floralscent said:

One of the biggest mysteries to me is the observation lounge in the front of the ship. I see this large open space with comfy chairs and absolutely amazing views but what is it really used for and is it only for certain levels for Captains Club or cabin level? 

I have sat in this area with a book on a sea day a time or two and am wondering what types of events , if any, are held in the area. 

Thank you!

On our last cruise they were using the Sky Lounge for art auctions, and trivia games... but even when that was going on.. the place is still large enough that you can sit by the windows, enjoy the view and not have to participate...

• Like 2

My wife is not a sun worshipper and spends very little time on the outside decks. She is a knitter and spends most of her daytime hours up in the observation lounges on the various ships we sail on with a nice view of the ocean while knitting away. Her favorite is the Crows Nest on Holland America ships which have a library, jig-saw puzzles and a coffee bar.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

I agree on the older ships that have the wrap around promenade deck, one of my favorite things in life is sitting in a deck chair on the promenade deck with a good book watching the ocean pass by. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

My wife is not a sun worshipper and spends very little time on the outside decks. She is a knitter and spends most of her daytime hours up in the observation lounges on the various ships we sail on with a nice view of the ocean while knitting away. Her favorite is the Crows Nest on Holland America ships which have a library, jig-saw puzzles and a coffee bar.

The Crows Nest is really great...I agree!

• Like 1