Queens Grill - Ordering Off-menu

WestonOne

On 3/4/2024 at 3:55 AM, LadyL1 said:

We have twice (different voyages) asked if wagyu steak can be served for my husband on QV, and both occasions told this is only possible to have in the Verandah restaurant.

A few years ago on the QE a friend treated us to wagyu steak in the Verandah. We were not impressed and couldn't understand the fuss some people make about it.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 10:06 PM, david,Mississauga said:

A few years ago on the QE a friend treated us to wagyu steak in the Verandah. We were not impressed and couldn't understand the fuss some people make about it.

Funnily enough, we attended a 'do' the other day and I had my first Wagyu for many years. I do wonder if the presentation has anything to do with it.

My first one was pre-ordered, medium rare. It was OK but nothing to write home about. This latest, also 'mass' catering was served almost blue and it was a different taste altogether. I wouldn't order it if dining  à deux as a well sourced filet mignon  [blue] at a fraction of the price is good enough for my taste buds...and my wallet. 🙂

• Like 1

We bought some Australian Wagyu at our local hypermarket in their Christmas specials for 2018 (photo). Asking price was €99/kilo, but we had a €20 off €100 voucher (we bought some other things too). We browned in a griddle pan then rested in a low oven. It was delicious.

Bought some more on special order from our butcher a few years later at €180/kilo! Cooked it the same way but it wasn't quite as memorable.

We can get several excellent French breeds of fillet for about a third of the price. I wouldn't buy it again unless I found a really good offer.

IMG_20181220_184744364.thumb.jpg.33e618ca6bbb1df092681f5bdae64f57.jpg

On 3/5/2024 at 2:06 PM, david,Mississauga said:

That's all because Cunard chefs do not know how to prepare beef. We were in Verandah once and the chef recommended Medium Well - a big sign that the chef has never cooked (and possibly never eaten) a decent steak in his life.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

That's all because Cunard chefs do not know how to prepare beef. We were in Verandah once and the chef recommended Medium Well - a big sign that the chef has never cooked (and possibly never eaten) a decent steak in his life.

That sounds a little sweeping. Perhaps some of them are very good, and some of them not. I’ve never had dinner in the Verandah, but I have had nice steak elsewhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

That sounds a little sweeping. Perhaps some of them are very good, and some of them not. I’ve never had dinner in the Verandah, but I have had nice steak elsewhere.

As our steak consumption is all but limited to our Cunard holidays these days, I can confirm the Cunard chefs are very capable when producing a beautifully cooked steak, cooked in my case being to be plated up as blue.

8 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

We were in Verandah once and the chef recommended Medium Well - a big sign that the chef has never cooked (and possibly never eaten) a decent steak in his life.

Either that or he really knew that that's what was best for the pieces of meat defrosted for that day.

It wouldn't be my choice but  you never know. It would tell me that I didn't want to order that steak.

5 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Either that or he really knew that that's what was best for the pieces of meat defrosted for that day.

It wouldn't be my choice but  you never know. It would tell me that I didn't want to order that steak.

Given how long beef should be hung, and almost never is, I wonder if, on shorter cruises, it actually is frozen rather than kept in a cold store. I think we were told about this when we did the ship’s tour, and I can’t really remember, but I think there were cold stores.