How are FCC determined after a cancelled cruise

roboref

We were on the March 26 Escape cruise that was cancelled. I was promised a 50% cruise credit. My cruise total was $749 P/P base fare  ($1500 total). $250 Cruise Next certificate, $400 port taxes and fees, upgrade to mini suite fee of $260. Total was $2410, NClposted my Cruise Next back to my account, Though it has to be used before Jan 1, 2023, and a $413 FCC that has to be used before March 25, 2023. I have several issues with this:

1. Why is the Cruise Next not valid for the full year?

2. How do they come up with $413 as a 50% credit? At a minimum it should be $750, plus there should be another $130 from the upgrade fee paid. 

How much have you gotten in this type situation?

1. Maybe because your CruiseNext voucher originally expired before March 25th 2023?

2. We received some FCC due to cancelled cruises back in 2020, and the FCC was actually automatically divided between my NCL account and my husbands NCL account (allthough I am the one who always make the reservations and pay the cruises). So that is where your "missing" FCC may be found - in your travel partners NCL account.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, roboref said:

We were on the March 26 Escape cruise that was cancelled. I was promised a 50% cruise credit. My cruise total was $749 P/P base fare  ($1500 total). $250 Cruise Next certificate, $400 port taxes and fees, upgrade to mini suite fee of $260. Total was $2410, NClposted my Cruise Next back to my account, Though it has to be used before Jan 1, 2023, and a $413 FCC that has to be used before March 25, 2023. I have several issues with this:

2. How do they come up with $413 as a 50% credit? At a minimum it should be $750, plus there should be another $130 from the upgrade fee paid. 

NCL usually will split the credits between the passengers registered in the stateroom.  If you check with your traveling companion (spouse?) you may find that they also have a credit on their account.  When NCL says they will offer a "50% cruise credit" they frequently mean half of the amount designated as cruise fare, not including taxes, port fees, upgrade charges, or some other costs.  Many passengers, myself included, have felt shortchanged by NCL because of that distinction.  So, it looks like they credited you with a total of $663 by returning your Cruise Next Deposit of $250 plus the FCC of $413.  You indicate that your original cruise fare was $1498.  NCL seems to have based their calculation on a base fare of $1326.  I don't know what other factors NCL took into account to arrive at that figure.  As for the difference in the expiration dates, I would assume that the original expiration date of your CND was Jan 1, 2023.  The FCC, on the other hand, seems to have an expiration date exactly one year from the issue date.

42 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

NCL usually will split the credits between the passengers registered in the stateroom.  If you check with your traveling companion (spouse?) you may find that they also have a credit on their account.  When NCL says they will offer a "50% cruise credit" they frequently mean half of the amount designated as cruise fare, not including taxes, port fees, upgrade charges, or some other costs.  Many passengers, myself included, have felt shortchanged by NCL because of that distinction.  So, it looks like they credited you with a total of $663 by returning your Cruise Next Deposit of $250 plus the FCC of $413.  You indicate that your original cruise fare was $1498.  NCL seems to have based their calculation on a base fare of $1326.  I don't know what other factors NCL took into account to arrive at that figure.  As for the difference in the expiration dates, I would assume that the original expiration date of your CND was Jan 1, 2023.  The FCC, on the other hand, seems to have an expiration date exactly one year from the issue date.

Some additional info. My wife also has the credit of $413 as well, once I found out she had a separate login on her Latitudes account. So $826 is the amount from the base cruise fare which I calculate as $1498 plus $260 Upgrade to mini-suite $1758 should have been $879, so the $826 also is probably based off the Base fare minus commissions paid. 

The Next cruise deposit was from May 2016 which would was used to book a NCL cruise in june 2020, and then transferred to a TA that was cancelled as well. I wish NCL would just do the right thing and refund the Cruise Next deposit, every other cruise deposit with Holland, Celebrity and Princess has been refunded. NCL should do this as well, if they did I would let them keep there FCC. I am considering just telling NCL to keep the $125 Deposit, and hope they NCL enjoys that $125 cost them a long time cruiser.

Having experienced this before and using a spreadsheet of several scenarios plus having to contact TA for more details, it was the lowest number.  I could not get it to exactly match, but with lowest options got close.  It is the stripped down fare excluding any separate fees you don't normally see.

10 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I love it when people play the "do the right thing" card.   What you really mean is that NCL is adhering to the terms of buying the CN voucher and not making an exception for you, and you do not like that.

What a joke! Using your adhering to the terms analogy, NCL has no obligation to give a FCC for when NCL cancels a cruise. Or credit for missing a port. In this case, without a refund of CN, I booked per their terms, on July 2020, Cruise Cancelled, Booked April, 2021 NCL Cancelled, booked March 2022, cruise cancelled. 3X NCL did not abide by the contract. So, however you think is fine, but NCL would save money refunding my $125 CN deposit, I wouldn't use their FCC (not obligated to give me anyway), or they could at a minimum match up the CN cert expiration date to when the cancelled cruise FCC expires. "Do the right thing" is a motto many companies follow to retain customers, NCL chooses not to do that, then I can choose to go on other Cruise Lines that do. Do you not ever want a company to "do the right thing" in your life? Good Luck!

16 hours ago, roboref said:

It should be on the cruise fare only. Exclusive of port fees, taxes, extras. 

19 hours ago, roboref said:

Some additional info. My wife also has the credit of $413 as well, once I found out she had a separate login on her Latitudes account. So $826 is the amount from the base cruise fare which I calculate as $1498 plus $260 Upgrade to mini-suite $1758 should have been $879, so the $826 also is probably based off the Base fare minus commissions paid. 

Its possible that NCL calculated a portion of your $260 upgrade charge as cruise fare and a portion of it as tax and fees.  In that case, if $154 of it was fare, that plus your original fare of $1498 would bring it to $1652.  NCL gave you 50% of that ($826) as FCC, split between you and your wife at $413 each.  That's the best explanation I can come up with.  It doesn't make it right, but it does seem to be accurate.  I'm sorry that your dealings with NCL have left a bitter taste for you and hope you'll give them another chance in the future.

18 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Its possible that NCL calculated a portion of your $260 upgrade charge as cruise fare and a portion of it as tax and fees.  In that case, if $154 of it was fare, that plus your original fare of $1498 would bring it to $1652.  NCL gave you 50% of that ($826) as FCC, split between you and your wife at $413 each.  That's the best explanation I can come up with.  It doesn't make it right, but it does seem to be accurate.  I'm sorry that your dealings with NCL have left a bitter taste for you and hope you'll give them another chance in the future.

I think you are right, that is the exact amount. The cruise fare with the commissions backed out. NCL could give a more detailed statement of what the amount is based on, it would lead to less confusion. 

Thanks again for the answers.

• Like 1